What's new

Best Type of Clam Chowder?

What is your favorite type of clam chowder?

• New England

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Manhattan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rhode Island

• New Jersey

• Hatteras

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Minorcan

• Total voters

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
I'm a foodie as a lot of you all know and after having made my first clam chowder the other night, I've been thinking of other ways to make it. So it got me thinking, what's the typical "favorite" clam chowder? A lot of people think there are only three varieties, there are actually six (and more once I start getting creative in the kitchen ;) ), which one's your favorite?

New_England_Clam_Chowder.jpg

So first we have your basic New England Clam Chowder. It has a creamy, white broth and often has oyster crackers sprinkled into it. Definitely the most common type.

109191.jpg

Then you have the tomato-ey Manhattan Clam Chowder. Essentially this one is a tomato-based vegetable soup with clams added.

clam_chowder21.jpg
\
The last of the three "common" types is Rhode Island Clam Chowder. This type has a light, clear broth. My parents made this when I was growing up and I loved it.

7751269_f260.jpg

The first of three lesser-known varieties is New Jersey Clam Chowder, which I struggled to find a picture of so most may not look like this. It's the only type I haven't tried but I know it contains asparagus.

DSC_0231.JPG

Remember how I said my folks used to make Rhode Island Clam Chowder? This is why they don't anymore! Eventually they started modifying their recipe until it turned into this and when I looked it up, HEY, they accidentally made Hatteras Clam Chowder! This type comes from the Outer Banks region of North Carolina and while it's similar to the Rhode Island variety, it has some differences such as the presence of carrots or sweet potatoes and being thickened with flour. It's my favorite!

13762302.jpg

And I'll end this thread with the first clam chowder I made; the fiery Minorcan Clam Chowder! This Spanish-influenced variety found in Florida is similar to Manhattan Clam Chowder but with a spicy kick that comes from datil peppers. While mine probably wasn't the best example because I used jalapenos (I'm a spice wuss and I'm not shy to admit it :p ) this one is supposed to be fairly hot and spicy. Do you perhaps like a chowder that brings the heat?

So pick and go! Really interested to see how this turns out!

TilenB

Strata Poster
I wasn't even aware that there is more than one version of it :p
I've tried the New England one back when I was visiting Cali and I quite liked its taste. That's the one that is usually served in a bread bowl, right?