What's new

Best non-Nemesis UK Coaster

Excluding Nemesis, what is your favourite UK Coaster?

• The Swarm

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Dragon's Fury

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Megafobia

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Grand National

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Oblivion

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Tornado

• Odyssey

• Millennium

• Thirteen

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Nemesis Inferno

• Ultimate

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Shockwave

• G-Force

• Rita

• Smiler

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Stealth

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Galactica

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Colossus

• Velocity

• Kumali

• Saw

• Wicker Man

Votes: 5 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Will

Strata Poster
OK, so this is the gooniest most noobish thread I've made in a long time, but seeing a debate in one of the other threads made me curious.

I've taken out Nemesis for obvious reasons, so my question is - what's your favourite non-Nemesis UK coaster.

Feel free to post a top 5 or top 10 and let me know if your choice is missing from the poll.
In retrospect, I should have set this poll to close before May 25.

jayjay

Giga Poster
My favourite coaster in the UK is Stealth regardless of whether I'm counting Nemesis. Don't know if I've ridden it too many times and am used to its motions, but I've gone off it a little.

Matt N

CF Legend
My favourite UK coaster is The Swarm, regardless of whether Nemesis is included or not! Nemesis is an outstanding ride, and definitely 2nd in the UK for me, but The Swarm is just a touch better, in my opinion.

lachlan

Mega Poster
Taking away Nemesis it's the Ultimate for me!

Stealth is a great coaster but over very quickly. Swarm, Smiler and Oblivion off the top of my head. I gave up on rankings ages ago

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Was excluding Wicker Man intentional?
&
Why only Gross National from Blackpool?

Bit of a depressing list really, nothing jumps out to me.
I'll say Inferno with little conviction.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I voted for Oblivion, but that's more because of what it was at the time, rather than what it is now.
Current favourite is probably The Swarm. Honourable mention to Stealth.
And why is Wicker Dude not in the poll?

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Sadly... Swarm. Which makes me a depressed. It’s an alright coaster but just LOOK at what they have on the continent?!

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
Swarm for me, then Wild Mouse (still counts even if it's now closed, until something better comes along!)
Then Stealth and Colossus to make up my top 5 British creds. Only Nemesis is in my Top 10 from that lot - the rest are nowhere near!

Will

Strata Poster
Excluding Wicker Man wasn't intentional, though it hadn't occurred to me that anyone would vote for it even if they'd only visited Alton. I've corrected that.
Leaving out Wild Mouse WAS intentional - much as I hate to say it, I'm afraid it no longer exists.

For the record, my vote went to Swarm and I'm surprised if impressed that a lot of people seem to agree with me so far :)

Efan

Mega Poster
Voted for Smiler because I glanced over Megafobia, d'oh! Smiler, if rattly as hell, was great fun for me. Megafobia, while it was my first ever cred, is a great coaster in its own right. I've not ridden many coasters based on airtime, despite how much I love it (though I will hopefully remedy that in the Summer!), so Megafobia is great imo. It feels so wild and out-of-control, just a shame that the park it's in has gone downhill over the years

Sandman

Giga Poster
Oblivion for me, mainly for the reasons Howie has mentioned on a few other threads :)
Following on from that I'd go for The Ultimate.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Went with Smiler just ahead of Swarm; I think I tend to enjoy Swarm more but feel like I just want it to do a bit more. Smiler is just relentless.

Off the top of my head, nothing else comes close. A group behind of Odyssey, Inferno, Rage and Kumali but really nothing to shout home about.

henryjwillis

Mega Poster
Gone for Megafobia. Haven't ridden it in years so no idea how its condition's held up, and it may be more for nostalgic value, but it definitely packs a punch. I'd probably put Stealth next then Smiler.

vaugc002

Mega Poster
I'm all about the drop of a coaster, so for me Oblivion wins.
Also, Oblivion was and still is a remarkable feat of engineering, as well as staging.

Will

Strata Poster
No votes for Tornado yet?
If we were doing 'best coaster in Scotland' then Tornado should have won it hands down - sure, it tried to break my neck last year, but it's just so brilliantly mental as well as being one of our more intense coasters - same kind of appeal that Ultimate has, but without the lengthy dead spots.
Top 10 in the UK, but I know I'm in a minority.

I don't get Stealth - I'll never get Stealth. The setting is depressing and the theming has aged badly, the launch is uncomfortable and rattly and not only is the drop over too quickly, but at that point, you're still recovering from the launch and can't appreciate it. The restraints are offensive and there's brakes on the 'airtime' hill. And that's even after Red Force convinced me that these rides CAN be half decent.