What's new

Best ever IAAPA reveals

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
With IAAPA not taking place this year, they’ll be no big reveals and excitable coverage unless they do a virtual expo...but it wouldn’t be the same. To fill the gap this year, I’m considering making a Top Number to be Determined IAAPA reveals video/list.

As always, your input in these projects is welcome. What reveals from the previous years have been the most memorable and exciting?

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
Projekt Helix was revealed way back at EAS 2012, at which I was present. I remember them not making a huge deal out of it at the time (the way we usually see it at IAAPA). - Looking back though, that was quite a special moment! Also got the coolest Projekt Helix-branded memorystick with the original animations and press material (before the layout was altered) and it's not for sale <3

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Is anyone else hard pressed to name anything?

I think I would go with new ride/track type reveals, such as Intamin’s swing launch, RMC raptor/t-Rex, or Vekoma rolling out the new line of coaster product. But so often, IAAPA is upstaged by the parks themselves in the announcement and rollout of new attractions; IAAPA is often relegated to revealing the train design, rather than the whole cojone ride and layout.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Intamin in 2018 for SURE. Being there, seeing the reactions of literally EVERYONE just astonished and saying WTF in unison was incredible to be a part of.
That video of the whole room collectively gasping and ooooh-ing once the video starts is so funny.

I believe this happened at IAAPA but my pick is the Lightning Rod reveal in 2015. I remember looking at the digital mock up of the quad down wondering how the hell a train could safely traverse it, it was like nothing anyone had seen before. Back then everyone thought it would be hands down the best coaster in the world and I was loving the hype.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
This should be a suitable occasion to dig something out of archive.org's Wayback Machine, shouldn't it?

Sued.gif

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
This should be a suitable occasion to dig something out of archive.org's Wayback Machine, shouldn't it?

Sued.gif
Ahh, I loved that series. I know we have a few copies of those comics rolling around in the CF dungeons.

costar

Mega Poster
I think any B&M front coach ever... anyone wanna pick one? There’s just something about seeing them on carpet, under lights. And the futile attempts to stop people from photographing the wheel assemblies : )

Some of the less obvious stuff that’s fun close-up, too. I remember the Mack twist’n’splash model - it was a fully functional (mini) wet ride!

The early robocoaster show stands have to be up there. Like this one in 2004. Sixteen years later and we still don’t have robot arms on gravity track (do we?) but there is a fourth Forbidden Journey under construction, so they did ok...

1600093705180.jpeg

There is already a virtual iaapa announced by the way. The Asian one actually worked pretty well. But maybe that was coz I’m on the right timezone and it was legit to attend from my desk!

Matthew Fair

Mega Poster
Just a few short weeks after writing the above, I now realise there is a robo arm on gravity track in existence:

View attachment 10304
Source: http://premier-rides.com/itps-leisu...behind-scenes-images-largest-attraction-ever/

And, in keeping with the topic, I believe this was kind of “revealed” at the virtual Asian Iaapa - I just missed it at the time. Looking forward to seeing the first footage of this thing...
One of these was planned for the Universal Monsters section of Epic Universe