What's new

Best drop tower ride?

ThemeParkHistorian

Roller Poster
What does everyone think are the best tower rides in the world and why? Rank ones you've done, what drop ride do you nominate for best. It could be for thrill, theme, or both. Comment, explain, discuss.

Matt N

CF Legend
My personal favourite drop tower is Tower of Terror at Disney’s Hollywood Studios by far, if it can be classed as one. The drops are surprisingly forceful, and the raw ejector airtime is absolutely shocking! When combined with the theming, it’s just an absolutely stunning attraction, in my opinion; if I ranked all the rides I’ve ridden together, both non-coasters and coasters, it would probably be in my top 3 rides of all time alongside Mako and Icon, possibly even my #2 behind only Mako; I absolutely adored ToT, and I wish I could have ridden it more than once!

In terms of more “traditional” ones, though, some of my favourites include HangOver, Falcon’s Fury at Busch Gardens Tampa, and Venom at West Midlands Safari Park; HangOver is really forceful but also absolutely huge, and the drop sustains that force the whole way down, while Falcon’s Fury is just absolutely insane with the tilting, and Venom is there because in spite of it not being a particularly big drop tower, I simply love the raw gut punch those Fabbri towers provide! Honourable mention to Detonator at Thorpe Park, which is another forceful Fabbri tower that I absolutely love; the only reason it didn’t get listed above is because I think Venom feels just slightly faster and more forceful.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Not the first time this has popped up as topic, but my answer remains the same.
It's the Haunted Mine Drop at Glenwood Caverns.
It just is.
It's a drop tower.... inside a mine shaft!
And also, it's on top of a mountain, in beautiful Colorado.
It's brilliantly themed, a rare occurence of concept, hardware and execution all coming together in one thoroughly immersive experience.
It's totally unique, a legit one-of-a-kind thrill ride.
It's right next door to the Giant Canyon Swing, another absolutely world-class attraction.
And best of all, hardly any of y'all have ridden it so it's still pretty excluuuusssse!
😝

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I know, but I haven’t seen it in a while, the other threads on it are a decade old
I mean, that's simply not true:

However, happy to let this one live here for now.

ThemeParkHistorian

Roller Poster

Ok, when I looked it up, those didn’t come up, sorry geez. That second one is still very old anyway, it is 8 years old.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I was really surprised by Zumanjaro at Great Adventure now that they're syncing the drop with Kingda Ka launching. What a difference it makes sitting up there and watching as the train launches up toward you. If the ride ops control the drop perfectly you can watch as the train goes over your head and then the entire structure starts to sway back and forth before you drop down toward the train as it finishes the spiral and heads up the braking hill.
Scott, Sarah, Taylor Bybee, Dan from Midway Mayhem and I rode in the right set of seats and were acting like we had never been on a drop tower before. We had so much fun we immediately switched to the left set of seats to do it again, before heading off to El Toro for our final rides of last week's media day.

Christian

Hyper Poster
There are drop towers and there is Mystery Castle. That thing is in a league of it's own. Mystery Castle isn't just my favourite drop tower but it's my favourite flat ride.

Last edited:

Coop

Roller Poster
Mystery Castle has to be one of the best drop towers out there, the theming, the lighting and that insane second boost halfway up the tower, it's one of those rides that you just can't help but laugh the whole ride.
Some other honourable mentions would have to be the Anubis drop tower at Holiday Park, it has some of the most airtime on a drop tower I've ever experienced, my bum did not touch the seat until we slammed into the breaks, and if you're sitting on the right side you get fantastic views of Expedition GeForce.
The weird family drop towers at Tripsdrill are absolutely insane, if you don't know what's coming then you will legitimately think the ride is falling apart, and luckily enough I got to witness @Serena 's reaction to this.
I didn't think much to Lex Luthor at Magic Mountain, I mean yeah it's gigantic but the drop just isn't very forceful, similar thing with Highlander, seems to be a running theme with the super tall drop towers, they are intimidating but not intense. I'll take a short and intense drop tower over a gigantic one any day.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
Omg @Coop how could you forget Jolly Roger at Pleasurewood Hills last month! I thought I was going to die the airtime was so intense!

So yeah, I've finally started getting into drop towers. Been making a special effort over the past year to conquer my fear of them.

Jolly Roger is easily the most intense drop tower I've ridden. Perhaps a little too intense for me as I was too scared to reride it. I think my tower tastes sit somewhere between intensity and fun. Which is why I'd say that Detonator and Apocalypse are my favourites in the UK.

Mystery Castle is my favourite drop tower and dark ride ever. It's the best. Anubis at Holiday Park does hold a special place in my heart though. Those views of EGF 😍

Ethan

Strata Poster
Tower of Terror for me, by a landslide. It sits just on the intensity level I enjoy, without being too much. Bonus points for the incredible storyline and theme. With the new sequence on the DLP version, it takes it even further! I do however love Detonator too, I think that might be the most intense tower I've experienced as I got spited by Scream at Heide Park in 2015 </3

JoshC.

Strata Poster
It's blasphemous that everyone talks about Mystery Castle being the best drop tower ride when it's not even the best drop tower ride in Phantasialand. That honour belongs to the incredible Tikal.

I like most 'proper' drop towers (slow climb up, gravity drop). Detonator at Thorpe is probably my favourite. Despite not fitting that traditional bill, Tikal has an honourable mention as one of my favourites too.

Bpolson75

Roller Poster

You guys are brutal- I will never start a forum topic ever.

ricky coasters

Roller Poster
I haven't gone on a lot of drop towers, but out of the ones I've ridden Superman Tower of Power is the best, the one in Texas... the airtime is great coming up. Also I think the drop tower at Glenwood Caverns looks like the best in the world