What's new

Best Coaster Turns/Turnarounds

Hutch

Strata Poster
Turns are one of the most basic elements found a a coaster. They can vary from simple, short turns, to massive overbank turns. Be it a hairpin turn, helix, overbank, etc, what is your favorite turn on any coaster?

My favorite turn on any roller coaster will have to be the turnaround on Boulder Dash, halfway through the ride. Despite the trim at the very beginning, the train is still maintains pretty good speeds. The turnaround descends downhill, with not much banking, providing excellent lateral g's. Plus, it lasts quite a while too. One of my favorite parts of the ride, and the most intense turn I've ever ridden.

a8s15k0014vqo080022gc0.jpg

nealbie

CF Legend
There's a left-right transition on Cobra at Paultons Park halfway through the ride which is absolutely stunning. So much so it's the one that stands out!

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster
The floater airtime on Silver Bullet's overbank is amazing, definitely the best part of the ride. Also the low turn closest to the station on Coaster, it just starts pretty mellow but the exit is so brutal it's wonderful. Maverick's two overbanks, especially the second, really good fast rotation. Back before the MCBR trimming Ghostrider's helix was beastly intense.

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster
Intimidator 305'a turn. End of story. You grey out on it. It's super intense and really fast. Nothing can compete with it. End of story.

andrus

Giga Poster
Darren B said:
Stealth's top hat. That counts right?
Second that! If it doesn't count I'll probably choose all of I305; loaded with crazy turns and transitions!!

Taxi

Mega Poster
Millennium Force's 169', 122* overbanked turn. Being blasted into your seat that high in the air, nearly inverted, is a one-of-a-kind experience.

Goliath @ Six Flags Over Georgia. That spiral helix is amazing, pure ecstasy!

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I have to go with Nemesis' helix too, one of the best elements in the world.
Shouts to White Lightening's turnaround and Kraken's Dive Loop, love that turn.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I also think the turnaround on Nemesis is one of the best. It's fantastic to watch as it's so intimidating and loud, and it's fantastic to ride as it's so forceful. Plus I can plug my photo again. :p

NemesisPanorama2.jpg

Shambala's ampersand is visually stunning as well.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I really, really LOVE Shambhala's ampersand turnaround. It looks and feels incredible.

I've got a soft spot for the turnarounds on Scenic Railway type coasters, the ones with a brakeman. They might not be intense but I love the way it feels controlled, so different compared to the quicker, intense coasters that make up my top 10. Scenic railway turns are usually long, sweeping and punctuated with a drop.