What's new

Best Coaster Compliments?

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Lots of coasters get built next to each other(go figure). Most of the time, it's due to the lack of space the park has. But sometimes, the two coasters compliment each other very nicely. So, what are your favorite compliments?

One of my favorites is Thunderbird and Voyage. Not only do the two coasters look really nice next to one another, but the setting is great too.

aadrhbd

Photo from RCDB.

Another one most everyone here would say is Dragon Khan and Shambhala. I can't explain this one, they just work so well together.

aacjxgd

Photo from RCDB.

Post all and any of your favorites!

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Off the top of my head, the whole of The Big One, going in and out of the wooden coasters! Again, PortAventura with Dragon Khan and Shambhala. Europa Park also comes to mind with Wodan and Blue Fire!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
Totally agree with the PortAventura and BPB ones. Also Taron and Raik - so complementary you can barely tell which one is which!

ThomVD

Giga Poster
PortAventura wins this round easily. The view over Dragon Khan and Shambhala is one of the most beautiful things I've seen in a theme park.

andrus

Giga Poster
GuyWithAStick said:
Another one most everyone here would say is Dragon Khan and Shambhala. I can't explain this one, they just work so well together.

aacjxgd
I don't think DK and Shambs is a good match, like at all. I know I'm in a minority here: but the integration of the two coasters could've been done so much better, and the construction of Shambhala really killed poor Khan..

Let me explain why:
First of; Dragon Khan used to be one of the best coasters in the world. An imposing, big, megalooper. Wardley was very clever in the design of Khan, putting it on the top of a hill and choosing colours that made it look even bigger. Now it is totally dwarfed by Shambhala! And even though it's still an intense ride, it has lost all of it's imposing charm. Plus the settlements in the grund from the construction of Shambs have med Khan one of the roughest B&M's out there. It's a shame really.
Secondly; Port Aventura made no effort what so ever to integrate to two coasters. They could have made them duel or they could have made Shambs thread the loop of Khan. PA had endless opportunities, but instead they choose to simply let Shambs dwarf Khan.

Don't get me wrong: Shambhala still is one of the best coasters in the world and Dragon Khan (used to be) as well. But the way the two coasters integrate is just very poorly done. Shambhala really should've been built elsewhere in the park.

As for a good exmaple, in the same park, a tripple dueling coaster: :--D
hqdefault.jpg

(also a Wardley design)

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^Controversial.. but I think I agree.
I've always loved Khan - it's still in my top 10 to this day - one of the main reasons being how huge and imposing it looked. The addition of Shambs has definitely lessened the visual impact that Khan used to have.
I haven't been there since Shambs opened, but if what you say is true and DK has gotten rough, then I will be a very sad man indeed. :-(

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Dragon Khan was very smooth when I rode it. Not as smooth as Shambhala but definitely not even close to being rough. I seem to be in the minoriy, so either I got lucky or everybody is exaggerating big time. Same goes for Stampida btw. That's not rough at all either. Baco is, though...

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Khan definitely isn't rough by any means! The one jolt you get is on the turn after the first corkscrew, other than that I've never experienced any head banging on it at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I am quite a fan of the B&M visual spectacle at the front of Cedar Point between Gatekeeper, Raptor, and Valravn. They do not interact when riding, but visually join quite nicely.

VALRAVN-7.jpg

[facebookpost]https://www.facebook.com/cedarpoint/photos/a.319129566462.158310.10625691462/10153598819156463/?type=3&theater[/facebookpost]

[facebookpost]https://www.facebook.com/cedarpoint/photos/a.319129566462.158310.10625691462/10153636006326463/?type=3&theater[/facebookpost]

mouse

Giga Poster
I quite like Nemesis and Air being next to each other, the similar tracks look cool together, and I like that they're both close to the ground. Always exciting to see on the monorail!

Also +1 for Taron and Raik, it took a while to find Raik in amongst Taron's mess of track, but they do look great together.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Dueling Dragons seems like a good choice, if that counts. Back when it dueled, not much could beat that coaster compliment.

Sythe

Mega Poster
I305 and Anaconda at Kings Dominion compliment each other great. I also think Rebel Yell being aligned with I305 is amazing from windseeker.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

MadMilkshake

Roller Poster
Kraken and Mako compliment each other well, quite similar to Shambhala and DK.

But the one that springs to mind for me is the Thunderbolt/Phantom Revenge crossover that Hyde posted. That drop looks immense and love the way it goes over then under Thunderbolt.

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
Thunderbird and Voyage look good together. Also like Hyde said, the 3 Beemers at the front of Cedar Point all look really good together, especially since all of their colors are different from each other. Batman and Mr. Freeze at SFOT look great next to each other also. Khan and Shambhala look amazing in picture but I've never seen it in person.