What's new

BBC 3 To Be Axed.

EthC

Mega Poster
So BBC have decided to axe their youth channel BBC3, in apparent cost cutting measures. This hosted shows like:
Family Guy
Russell Howard's Good News
Sun, Sex and suspicious parents
Impractical Jokes
Ja'mie: Private School Girl
Being Human
Pramface
and Don't Tell The Bride
as well as the many festivals in UK like Glastonbury.

Supposedly it will now only be an internet only channel available on BBC Iplayer. When it will be axed I dont know but there is already a campaign for it not to be axed which is being supported by celeb's like David Walliams and Jack Whitehall with nearly 30,000 signatures.

So what do you think about this do you think it is a good or bad idea to axe this channel?

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Bad idea, it's somewhere for the teens and young adults to watch rude, slapstick ****. I don't like it all, but there is a lot that is good, Family Guy, Sun Sex and Suspicious Parents, Pramface.

I think it is a big mistake for them to get rid of it, they need to get rid of things like songs of praise or BBC4.

Just found this online:
BBC One: £1,051m
BBC Two: £415m
BBC Three: £85m
BBC Four: £49m
CBBC: £79m
CBeebies: £29m
BBC News Channel: £53m
BBC Parliament: £2m

Get rid of CBBC and Parliament ffs, no one watches them! Well apart from kids and bored men. BBC Three just needs to be kept, new comedy will die. Utterly ridiculous.

peep

CF Legend
^I think you underestimate the sheer scale of kids TV. CBBC is such a huge staple. In fact, each BBC channel reaches a large audience but the cost of running so many channels to try and reach each demographic just stretches the budget too much. I think what the BBC managed to do every year on their budget is amazing.

The last time they tried to shut down a channel (BBC radio 6) there was a huge petition and the BBC had to rethink their decision.

However they have said that BBC 3 will continue but as part of the iPlayer. This confuses me a little bit because there's a few shows (mainly Family Guy) which they haven't previously been able to have on iPlayer because it's a whole different licence. I bet there's also a lot of sense in this decision via their analysis of who watches their channels on TV via the iPlayer and I bet it shows that the BBC 3 demographic mainly watch everything on the iPlayer in comparison to the traditional TV set.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out but I can see them making a u-turn on this decision.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
I'm not really that bothered about it being axed. Family Guy is shown on other channels and the only other think I've watched on it, Sex, Sun and Suspious Parents isn't that brilliant. Hopefully the switch to I player will mean the sky on demand for the channel is improved.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Jordanovichy said:
Bad idea, it's somewhere for the teens and young adults to watch rude, slapstick ****. I don't like it all, but there is a lot that is good, Family Guy, Sun Sex and Suspicious Parents, Pramface.

I think it is a big mistake for them to get rid of it, they need to get rid of things like songs of praise or BBC4.

Just found this online:
BBC One: £1,051m
BBC Two: £415m
BBC Three: £85m
BBC Four: £49m
CBBC: £79m
CBeebies: £29m
BBC News Channel: £53m
BBC Parliament: £2m

Get rid of CBBC and Parliament ffs, no one watches them! Well apart from kids and bored men. BBC Three just needs to be kept, new comedy will die. Utterly ridiculous.

Stupid logic, they need to save £100 million so lets get rid of a Parliament channel that costs them £2 million a year yet provides an invaluable insight into how democracy in this country (supposedly) works.

CBBC is hugely valuable too, what's utterly ridiculous is how you've ignorantly just written off ''kids and bored men'' as a demographic in order to keep a channel for young adults. They shouldn't be fobbing off any of their demographics, how on Earth BBC Four has survived this cull as well as the last is beyond me because it's demographic can easily be served by BBC Two.

Moving it to online only is just a sign of how out-of-sync Tony Hall is, it's almost as laughable as his ''NO MORE ALL MALE PANEL SHOWS'' statements.

Keep in mind this is the same company that is spending money on giving Michael **** Macintyre a chat show and spend £22 million on the **** Voice.

BBC Three has some awful programmes on it, but it also reaches a demographic that no other channel bar maybe MTV can boast; the difference is BBC Three runs documentaries with some trace of educational value and MTV runs faux reality shows where the 'stars' spread their STD's and piss and **** themselves on camera 'for the bants'. I feel like I need to sign that last line off with a #LAD #BANTER #MORTAL

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Yeah I know, I jumped the gun slightly :p I'll agree BBC3 does show a lot of rubbish and I also agree the 'main' programmes should go. The Voice costs £22 million? Bet £20 million of that is Tom Jones' wages ;) They need to be cutting 'here and there', not just axing a whole channel. Didn't the BBC 'boss' accept a million pound bonus last year? I could be wrong but I thought I heard it somewhere.

Smithy

Strata Poster
That £22 million was from a 2012 article in the Telegraph, idk if it's gone up or down since but it's a monumental amount to be spending on one programme and it makes up 1/5th of the entire BBC Three budget. Imagine how much money they give to the likes of Miranda, Mrs Browns Boys and other similar tripe.

Apparently they came out and said they're not in favour of 'salami slicing' (a genuine quote) of scrimping here and there and would rather just find a way to save a big chunk at once. Thing is even figures from within the BBC have called for Four to be absolved into Two (and so it should, BBC Two used to be a great place for niche comedy and educational programmes).

Robbie

Hyper Poster
I'm not really sure how it's going to work, or if they've thought it through but Russell Howard's Good News and Bad Education (to name just two of their current shows) already get three or four times more viewers online than via broadcast. The remit of the channel is reach 16-24 year olds and if they prefer watching online, then perhaps that's where the channel should be.

Ben

CF Legend
As long as they actually keep the level of programming, I think that's the worry.

There's no way all the shows and funding will continue in the same way they have if it moves online, so there will be a drop in output which is a real shame because BBC 3 is fab. 4 really should go.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Apart from the odd episode of Family Guy or American Dad when I've got nothing better to do, I rarely watch BBC3. Tbh, wouldn't notice if they switched it off or not. I'd probably go, "oh, that's a shame" but then continue as if nothing ever happened.

The best thing about BBC3 is it's a good testing ground for new comedies. So on the bright side it means less crap like Mrs Brown's Boys and Miranda! AND it might get rid of the turd likes of Russell Howard from our screens.

With the exception of their current affair programmes, documentaries and Sherlock, the BBC has gone downhill anyway.

marc

CF Legend
Sorry I'm one of the people who is not going to miss it, it's just one less channel for me to have to scroll past.

I don't think I've watched anything on it.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Neither you nor In are its target audience though. Its tapped into the teen market brilliantly and is exactly the sort of thing they should be doing because in the long term this brand loyalty will keep the BBC going.

My worry is the popular shows on bbc3 like Russell Howard will be movedon to BBC two in place of the likes of weekly wipe.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
BBC bosses have announced that half of the BBC Three commissioning budget will be 'ploughed into BBC One drama'.

I have also just read it will be axed in autumn 2015.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Absolutely **** farcical, BBC One's budget is over 1 billion already, and the entire reasoning behind this was to help towards savings of £100 million.

Slashing BBC Three's budget by £60 million not only takes two thirds of their funding away, but also they're re-investing £30 **** million of it into BBC One dramas (Because we just don't have enough of them on BBC One!) and I think a further £10 million into extending the CBBC channels until 8pm.

So really, they're moving BBC Three online and cutting 2/3's of it's budget to save £20 million, which is less than it costs them to show The Voice.

Cretins.

AirtimeFreak

Mega Poster
BBC 3 is probably one of the channels on most on my TV. Family Guy, American Dad, Russel Howard, Pramface etc. Love all of them, and it doesn't even come on until 7pm so don't know how they can be spending so much money! There are only voice overs not even proper presenters!

Yeah okay its going to all be online to watch, but the ease of sitting down, pressing 115 and chances are I'm gonna be watching something i enjoy just wont be the same if i have to open up the laptop, then send to my TV or watch on a small screen.

I think they will regret axing the channel to be honest, that's just my thoughts though.

Ben

CF Legend
^That'll go down well since they put it up when BBC3 was introduced.

The licence fee is a joke as it is, in the days of Sky etc we shouldn't have to pay that much for a few channels out of hundreds, it's absurd. You should at least be able to opt out and have other channels but no. And all that so they can pay ridiculous money to **** people and bosses.

And everyone says banks are evil <//3