What's new

Battlestar Galactica: Human Vs Cyclon closes for good?

EthC

Mega Poster
630getty_battlestargalactica2.jpg

The Battlestar Galactica, a star attraction at the Universal Studios Singapore theme park, is closed for good.

The sci-fi themed rollercoaster, which has been closed since July 2013, will be replaced by a new ride by the end of this year.

MyPaper reported that Resorts World Sentosa, which manages the theme park, said that the Battlestar is "unavailable as it undergoes an attraction review".

It was also reported that the new ride will follow a movie theme, and is expected to have new interiors and a fresh coat of paint, among other changes.

Touted as the world’s tallest dueling roller coaster, the “Battlestar Galactica” ride has been plagued by problems since the theme park opened in March 2010. The roller coaster was closed for over nine months, a week after it opened, due to technical problems. It re-opened in February 2011, but was soon shut down again after cracks were found in the seat-post supports of the coaster cars.
Source: https://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/what-is ... 34087.html
Another coaster closing down after not a long time open.

marc

CF Legend
Re: Battlestar Galactica: Human Vs Cyclon closes for good

Sounds more like it will be a re theme rather than be replaced.

Saying fresh coat of paint and new interiors sort of says that to me.

Will probably just be new trains as well.

peep

CF Legend

^thats how I interpreted it too, let's hope we're right as they look like good rides.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

_koppen

Hyper Poster

Yeah, I also don't think they will take it down. I wonder (if it's true about a re-theme) what they are planning to theme it to? It was a pretty weird choose from the beginning IMO as I don't think Battlestar Galactica is that popular in the area.

Also seems like only the sit down coaster is in need of some re-engineering, the inverted side has operated fine ever since it opened.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^Then why not just run the inverted side instead of closing down the whole thing?

Ben

CF Legend

Yeah sounds more like a refurb to me.

I hope end of the year means by November or spite <//3

STC

Mega Poster

Given that this is basically a combination of Dueling Dragons and the Hulk, it's baffling as to why this wasn't built by B&M in the first place.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

Bugger. It better be open by the time I go in November as there's literaly nothing else in that park.

Lol Ben. I wondered which CFer would be stalking me this year.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Mysterious Sue said:
Bugger. It better be open by the time I go in November as there's literaly nothing else in that park.

Bollocks.

tribar

Mega Poster

STC said:
Given that this is basically a combination of Dueling Dragons and the Hulk, it's baffling as to why this wasn't built by B&M in the first place.

Maybe cost?

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster

STC said:

I am going to go coaster nerd here:

How is a non-looping family coaster basically a B&M looper?

Battlestar uses an LSM launch system to create a ride element, B&M has zero of those to date, and their only launch system (Hulk) is a tire launch built by Universal.

I dunno, I guess its not "baffling" that a company went with a manufacturer that could meet the needs of the type of experience they wanted to build.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

It's like Duelling dragons because there is a red and a blue one, and they duel.

It's like the Hulk because it's the signature coaster of the park, and it launches uphill.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster

^So because of a paint job and a launch, which again B&M doesn't currently do, it is baffling B&M wasn't chosen?

I know I am sounding snobbish but I just don't get that logic.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

I'm sure B&M are pretty capable of doing it if they were asked though? They have the technology already.

bmac

Giga Poster

B&M wouldn't even touch H:RRR when that ride was plagued with issues, what makes you think they'll want to touch this thing?

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

You've misunderstood, nobody has said anything about B&M modifying BSG?

_koppen

Hyper Poster

gavin said:
^Then why not just run the inverted side instead of closing down the whole thing?

Good question!

Crazycoaster said:
I'm sure B&M are pretty capable of doing it if they were asked though? They have the technology already.

Remember that this ride was in planning years before it opened in 2010. B&M back then had a very strict non launch policy.

the king

Mega Poster

A shame this has happened to the coaster. Hopefully the necessary things that need to be done to it to make it work again, won't be too costly and time consuming. I wonder if they will decide to ask another company to make the trains for this, though I hope they have a similar shape as the originals did, if they decide to do so. Something to look forward to I guess.