What's new

SeaWorld Orlando | Pipeline: The Surf Coaster | B&M Surf Coaster | 2023

Clrun4

Roller Poster
So, I've had a quick look at it and you're right.

The main purpose of this patent is to ged rid off the complex mechanic of the old restrain system. To adjust the height then, it needed a lots of pieces to align, and it was complicated and noisy. By the use of a hydraulic cylinder, it corrects these issues. It seems to me that it is a system very close to the one on the stand up Intamin Towers. The cylinder can be locked in position after the loading.
In fact, it is the same system used on hydraulic lap-bars like the Mack ones.

On the other hand, they say they would like to have a system allowing passengers to move, but it would be too complicated, and leading to an unacceptable (for them) feeling of unsafety.

So they propose to let the cylinder to have a bit of a move, so the rider can "bounce" a bit during the ride.

Didn't see a thing about retrofitting then.

Ries

Mega Poster
I scrolled through the topic and some interesting concepts flowing.
Never did a stand-up, not going to either I think. Doesn't look fun to me.

I was thinking about an B&M concept as well. The Inverted launched Wing Coaster.
Seats will hang more than they do on a normal wing. So they will have a free swing motion option.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Looking at that stand up patent I would suggest this is possibly for a different project than the Surf Coaster.

Now this is supposition but we know China likes reviving those niche ride types. I mean they reinvigorated the Tilt Coaster, they've just built only the 2nd ever Intamin vertical coaster (and about to start a 3rd) and bought a 2nd modern Intamin spinner (after Tornado.)

It would not surprise me if some park in China has gone for a stand up model and this is B&Ms attempt to modernise the design a bit for the market.

emoo

Hyper Poster
Didn't know about half of those revised coasters so that alone is interesting.

B&M could just be refreshing their catalogue overall to keep it relevant, but yes with at least one park in mind to try it out on.

While stand ups are frowned upon a lot, they are all older rides and there is potential if it can be made comfortable. Even reducing the load and unload faff would help.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Now this is supposition but we know China likes reviving those niche ride types. I mean they reinvigorated the Tilt Coaster, they've just built only the 2nd ever Intamin vertical coaster (and about to start a 3rd) and bought a 2nd modern Intamin spinner (after Tornado.)
Not to mention the long-dead Inverted Impulse coasters, last seen elsewhere in 2004.

And to be frank with B&M, I think their lineup needs a bit of invigorating. Outside China, they're really only selling Wing coasters, Dive coasters, and Hyper coasters nowadays - and most Western parks that can afford those tend to have built them (or something equivalent) already. The rest of B&M's portfolio faces stiff competition from other manufacturers, to the point they're hardly ever seen these days. Who were the last park in the West to buy a B&M non-Wing/-DM multi-looper again? Hard Rock Park? B&M mostly sell coasters in their specific niches, and they need to find some new ones to put on the market lest it becomes too saturated for them to operate in.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Not to mention the long-dead Inverted Impulse coasters, last seen elsewhere in 2004.

And to be frank with B&M, I think their lineup needs a bit of invigorating. Outside China, they're really only selling Wing coasters, Dive coasters, and Hyper coasters nowadays - and most Western parks that can afford those tend to have built them (or something equivalent) already. The rest of B&M's portfolio faces stiff competition from other manufacturers, to the point they're hardly ever seen these days. Who were the last park in the West to buy a B&M non-Wing/-DM multi-looper again? Hard Rock Park? B&M mostly sell coasters in their specific niches, and they need to find some new ones to put on the market lest it becomes too saturated for them to operate in.

In the last ten years they’ve sold 4 inverts in the west AFAIK, King Island, Walygator, Asterix and Grona. Don’t know if they’ve sold any in China in that time?

In that time I know of NO new sit down or standup coasters that weren’t hypers etc. Unless we’re counting the Hulk rebuild.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
In the last ten years they’ve sold 4 inverts in the west AFAIK, King Island, Walygator, Asterix and Grona. Don’t know if they’ve sold any in China in that time?

In that time I know of NO new sit down or standup coasters that weren’t hypers etc. Unless we’re counting the Hulk rebuild.
Just to be pedantic but the one at Walygator opened in 96 in Japan and was moved to France after its original home shut. So not sure that counts :p

And no. As of yet they've not sold any inverts to China. The local market is probably too strong.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Just to be pedantic but the one at Walygator opened in 96 in Japan and was moved to France after its original home shut. So not sure that counts :p

And no. As of yet they've not sold any inverts to China. The local market is probably too strong.
Nope, it wouldn’t, otherwise there’s lots of relocations (Six Flags) thanks, I genuinely didn’t know that :)

Spoon

Roller Poster
Well if the permit news wasn't enough to get you excited, another great sign for the future of this project is that SeaWorld has paid off the liens related to the project. Two Satisfaction documents were filed today- the first for B&M, paying off the remaining $1.4 million dollar balance on the $4.5 million cost of the "engineering design and fabrication". And the second for PGAV, paying off the remaining $271,967.63 balance of the $1.1 million dollar cost of "architecture and design services". I've included a screenshot of the satisfaction document and the original lien documents below.

B&M Satisfaction and Lien:

swo_bmlien.JPG
swo_bmlien_.JPG

PGAV Satisfaction and Original Lien:

swo_pgav_ 002.JPG
swo_pgav_ 001.JPG

Matt N

CF Legend
Great, there's only one thing left to find out:
What the hell is a surf coaster?? 🤷‍♂️
I’m asking myself the same question, but we might possibly know one thing; based on the wording used in the lien, I think it’s quite safe to guess that we could be seeing B&M’s 2nd launch coaster! (At least, their 2nd launch coaster with a launch they cooperated with, the first being Thunderbird at Holiday World)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Could someone explain the cost breakdown here? $4.5m seems way too cheap for a debut concept ride from B&M.
I suspect this is solely B&M's engineering & fabrication fees. It varies a lot project-to-project, but total consultant fees of 10-25% are common in construction projects.

On top of B&M's fees for the "engineering" there's also all of the shipping (not a cheap endeavor), erection (those big mobile cranes can easily top $1000/day), all of the other design fees (station, pathways, utilities, etc), local permit applications, but to name a few.