What's new

B&M hyper clamshells; love them, hate them or indifferent?

What do you think to B&M clamshells?

• Total voters

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Sorry if there's already a topic like this, but I decided to make this one because B&M clamshells seem to be a very divisive restraint in the community and I would be interested to hear some of your opinions on them.

As for my opinion on them; I personally love them! They're currently my favourite sort of restraint, and I personally found them so comfortable on Mako in August 2016! I don't know whether the fact I was around 5'0 when I last rode Mako and I'm now 5'8 would change anything, but I seem to remember absolutely adoring the B&M clamshells! I personally adore them because I find them to be so roomy, and they didn't cause any pain to any part of my body! Although I suppose I would say I'm not particularly big anywhere, if you get what I mean.

However, I know of some people who hate them. A lot of people with larger thighs seem to hate them, and I know that Andy Rumney from Coaster Crazy has previously said that he hates them.

I'd be interested to see what you guys think to them!

Snoo

The Legend
They're pretty good IMO. Comfortable, doesn't press down on the wrong spots, not overly invasive. Couldn't ask for much more. I do think they would be better if the ride itself gave better airtime but of course, thats me. :p

Hutch

Strata Poster
They're great. Probably my favorite style of restraint? Snoo nailed it on the head about the comfort. Even if you get "stapled" you forget about it going up the lift hill, and the airtime is still a lot of fun. But when you manage to leave some room between you and the restraint, it's even better. SeaWorld for the most part didn't really push the restraints down when checking, so the first drop on Mako was incredible and the rest of the airtime was fantastic.

Surprised to hear that some people aren't a fan of them. I think the general consensus is that they're good!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I've always loved the comfort and speed with which they can load. Cedar Fair adding seatbelts has knocked them down to on-par with the Intamin T-Bar for me, but still one of the better restraints out there.

Edward M

Strata Poster
They’re great for the rides they’re on, but they also accentuate how weak the floater is for me. They’re super comfy and make you feel safe, but I do prefer a restraint that makes you feel almost in danger, ala X2