What's new

Arrrgh, My Ears!! (Aka "Music you hate")

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
As the title says - Post some songs you hate in here, I'll start with:

Big Fun - Hey There Lonely Girl
Soppy beyond belief!

Anything by the "sing something simple" group
Soppy beyond belief!

Bellamy Brothers - If I Said You Had A Beautiful Body
Just Too cheesy!

Soul II Soul - Back To Life
Never did "get it"

I think that's enough torture for 1 post!

Will

Strata Poster
We all know I think Sparks are great - but you can't make a discography that large without some REALLY awful stuff in.

As I get older, there's increasingly few songs that make me want to throw whatever's playing them out of the window. But this is still unforgiven.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
This (wtf are you saying darling?):-

This (overplayed to ****, and quite frankly is ****):-

And this (do I honestly need to explain?):-

I don't hate all of Justin's songs tbf (some I quite like), but he can produce some utter ****e sometimes, imo.

Will

Strata Poster
I fell out with Todd in the Shadows (youtube music vlogger) yesterday because he was rude about Christina Perri. No.

Will

Strata Poster
Killing Me Softly is an alright song, but really doesn't need some idiot going 'ONE TIME, ONE TIME' over it.

toofpikk

Mega Poster
i used to really like dubstep. like - really like it. every day id listen to benga, skream, magnetic man, hatcha, coki.. all the old school names. i also really liked it when it was adopted by the more american scene and became 'brostep', some what shamedly. when everyone was saying 'you still listen to skrillex?' i was the guy they were talking to. but my god, these days, when i go to some of my favourite old labels, they put out some absolute dogsh*t.

once again - i like the heavy stuff that people refer to as transformers intercourse, or a cheese grater trying to make love with a radiator. if its got energy, and a good bassline, im on it. but i do not back these kinds of sounds.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
I rarely truly dislike music. Once upon a time I would be savagely offended by certain genres or aesthetics, but I suppose it was more because I associated it with something that I wasn’t a part of, or it was the opposite of what I liked very much. Some songs do bug me though and ‘White Sky’ by ‘Vampire Weekend’ is one of them.

I must say… it really does get under my skin in a way that few tracks do. I can’t help but feel I’m listening to a sort of an ‘in joke’ at the listener’s expense, with its unmusical guitar sounds, ‘sqeaking clown nose’ sounds (from the second chorus) and post-chorus ‘wailings’. All of which are very unconventional and blasé in and of themselves… but here it’s so deliberate. Together the whole thing bounds along in a chirpy manner, like a child relishing that it’s being obnoxious.

The lyrics regard a trip to New York by a couple of bohemians, cheekily alluding to sex and drugs. The chorus particularly yanks on my ear:

You’ve waited since lunch….
It all comes at once….
(OoooOOoOOoooO x4)

Despite my disapproval, I’ve been fascinated with it for many years, occasionally revisiting and trying to work out whether I’m missing something and quietly hoping that I will come to the realisation that it’s actually really good. I haven’t got there yet. Regardless, I have no doubt that in triggering such disapproval (with the aforementioned provocative quirks) they have actually achieved exactly what they set out to do. Vampire Weekend therefore ultimately have the last laugh.

Last edited:

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
(I clearly have a bee in my bonnet)

Pondering further, I think I’ve identified the crux of my distaste: I dislike deliberate attempts to sound ‘nonchalant/indifferent’ to musical convention. It’s comes across as so fake and poser-y - it flat out bugs the **** out of me.

I love all sorts of weird sounding music and I’m intrigued by many expressions of indifference. But when you put a deliberately unmusical/unpleasant handful of notes (from a guitar) on top of a track like a sore thumb, for the sake of being unconventional, that’s where I start calling bull****. If it qualifies as a ‘guitar riff’, then I’ll vote for it named as one of the very worst.

Sorry - years of unexpressed rage at the track has clearly built up. With time, I will heal.

Last edited:

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Music to make plebs whoop.

I despise the sort of s**t you hear at wedding receptions, or anything with a stupid dance attached to it. I may be traumatised from having to deal with that crap on a nightly basis at an old job, but it can all just f**k off. Worst offenders:

Come on Eileen
YMCA
Mambo no. 5
Sweet Caroline
Don't Stop Believing
Macarena
Take me Home, Country Roads

Get to f**k. Get directly to f**k.

Sandman

Giga Poster

I despise the sort of s**t you hear at wedding receptions, or anything with a stupid dance attached to it. I may be traumatised from having to deal with that crap on a nightly basis at an old job, but it can all just f**k off. Worst offenders:

Come on Eileen
YMCA
Mambo no. 5
Sweet Caroline
Don't Stop Believing
Macarena

Get to f**k. Get directly to f**k.

Anything by Black Lace fits into this terrible category.

Could this be the most disgusting album in existence?

Will

Strata Poster
Yeah, I'm with Gavin here, Sweet Caroline can do one - and yes, I would have said that 12 months ago.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
@gavin yes some of those songs have definitely suffered through over exposure. Having to endure any sort of ‘forced fun’ can be extremely grating, especially if it’s during a tedious shift of work. Macarena, Saturday Night, YMCA… I don’t share the dislike but I can immediately understand those being troubling.

I’m very sorry to see ‘Take Me Home…’ became a source of irritation through exposure in those environments. I regard that one very highly - achingly bittersweet.

Black Lace is one of those curious examples of somebody presumably exercising ‘their right to be forgotten’ and nuking their own history - I understand that a lead member had a well publicised affair with a minor in the 80s, yet he changed his name and it’s surprisingly hushed as if it never happened.

Last edited:

Archie

Mega Poster
what was your old job?

Come on Eileen
YMCA
Mambo no. 5
Sweet Caroline
Don't Stop Believing
Macarena

Get to f**k. Get directly to f**k