What's new

Apollo's Chariot Re-Creation

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
Hey all, been trying to re-create Apollo's Chariot. Possible cliché by now I know, but I've been trying to get mine very close to the real thing. I've seemed to go as far as I can now without any input/advice and have finally hit a roadblock, so here I am trying to learn an extra thing or two from any of my fellow CFers here regarding re-creating Apollo's Chariot in NoLimits.

This is a handmade re-creation (not tooled).

Here's a side view (left) of my re-creation at an angle, just as it would appear while driving towards the park from Pocahontas Trail(?) onto the main drive, Busch Gardens Boulevard:

8308108536_b2d1cd01da_b.jpg

How does it look so far? Anything there in particular I could work on?

My main problem right now though is the transition from the 3rd hill down into the helix. There's just something awkward about the curvature/banking there and despite re-riding that section both in YouTube vids and my re-creation for what seems like hundreds of times, I just can't seem to get it right. I've grown frustrated and have even wanted to give up a few times. I'm totally stuck. So any pointers in the right direction on how to design this particular section would be greatly appreciated.

Here's an aerial shot of the 3rd hill + upward helix. The particular section/transition I'm having trouble with is encompassed in red:

8306988797_0a6e750b6d_z.jpg

I can't seem to get it curvy enough to look like this:

3~19.jpg

Is it just me, or is there something a little off with my drawing?

And if this would be of any help, here's a shot of the transition in editor mode's "Ride on coaster" POV:

8306988521_9d14ea0f08.jpg

Compared with:

110222.jpg

Again ─ is it just me or does my drawing look a bit inaccurate compared to the real thing? Any tips on how to go about tackling this element/transition once and for all?

Any feedback or help is appreciated! Thanks :)

I'll try posting more information/photos/updates of this project in the future along with anything else I'm particularly having trouble with so as to look for more input and advice to finish this thing off, AND hopefully to upload/share it with you all when it's done! One of these days, maybe.. one of these days.

P.S. Merry Christmas, btw! :--D

Intricks

Strata Poster
Just from comparing the two, it looks like yours flattens ouy FAR too early (for the turn thing), and you are tilted when you are supposed to be more level (second thing).

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
Hi Intricks, I appreciate your feedback. However, I'm a bit confused. Could you elaborate on what "flattening out" means, as well as with what you're describing as "tilted"? Thanks :)

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Giving the file a ride would be the best way to find a solution, but from what I can see in the images posted, there may be a slight banking issue. I've noticed that a lot of my rides have had slight banking issues and that has thrown off a lot of transitions for me.

I do have to say though, this looks pretty damn good so far.

Intricks

Strata Poster
ava1enzue1a said:
Hi Intricks, I appreciate your feedback. However, I'm a bit confused. Could you elaborate on what "flattening out" means, as well as with what you're describing as "tilted"? Thanks :)

Sure! It could be the angle of the two pics, but you are getting too close to the ground too quickly (flattening). Im not entirely certain, but that is what it looks like to me.

Second, the pics looking down into the drop are near spot on pictire wise, and you have your track angled for the entire drop, when looking at the RL photo, the track looks to have no form of angle present at the top.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Your banking needs work, your shaping looks fine though.

You don't have enough banking changes from the top of the hill. you've got the correct banking at the top of the hill but then it needs to level out a little on the decent, then gradually increase at the bottom, then snap into the helix.

It's quite a tricky banking transition actually, just watch the POV over and over to get the feel of it right.

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
Antinos said:
there may be a slight banking issue.
You could be right. There may be what I would also call a banking issue.

Antinos said:
I do have to say though, this looks pretty damn good so far.

Intricks said:
ava1enzue1a said:

Sure! It could be the angle of the two pics, but you are getting too close to the ground too quickly (flattening). Im not entirely certain, but that is what it looks like to me.

Second, the pics looking down into the drop are near spot on pictire wise, and you have your track angled for the entire drop, when looking at the RL photo, the track looks to have no form of angle present at the top.
Thanks for clarifying.

bob_3_ said:
It's quite a tricky banking transition actually
It really is. This is the only part of the ride I've never really liked too much. Not even while riding it in person. Even the motion/forces have always felt awkward to me during this transition.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I really appreciate it. I'll keep these things in mind and see what I can do. This is a slow work in progress for me though but I'll keep working on it and try keeping you guys posted!

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
This looks great! I've always classed Apollo's Chariot as my fav hyper (not that I've ridden any) in terms of looks.

I agree with what Antinos, Intricks and Bob say. Keep up the hard work, I am looking forward to riding this.

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
Uncle Arly said:
I've always classed Apollo's Chariot as my fav hyper (not that I've ridden any) in terms of looks.
Agreed. One of my main inspirations behind wanting to re-create it. :)

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
Update:

Sorry for any disappointments, but I'm giving this project a break for now. I've seemed to exhaust it at this point and despite many strenuous mental efforts, I can't seem to make any more significant progress (yet). I will return to it later down the road though, hopefully with a re-freshened mind and some new approaches to getting this track work done. So...

TO BE CONTINUED!

P.S. Thanks for everyone's interest/support and staying tuned. Wish me luck. :)

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
That might be the best option. I'm willing to bet that you'll look back at this in a month or so and you'll be able to fix it fairly quickly.

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
Good news! Finished up sooner than I thought. :) I did give it a break but I couldn't leave it alone for long, and soon enough I've even found myself finishing up the rest of the track work. It's pretty much all done. :--D Now onto the next major step, 2 of 3: terraforming, then finally adding in all the supports and scenery.

Before any of that though, here are some screen shots of the updated track in editor mode...

That 3rd descent/transition into the helix: it's not going to be perfect by any means, but it has improved significantly, closer than ever to the real thing. Also note that the helix won't ever be perfect as there will be a minor "waving" movement side to side throughout the element between vertices.. but it was like trying to freehand a perfect circle, let alone a perfectly parabolic spiral. I've polished it up a bit though, so it should be fine for the most part. Here's a zoomed-in view + heartline of that section from the same angle as the aforementioned side view:

8416659551_14b229bd4b_b.jpg

The mighty helix + heartline from a different angle:

8416659483_cbe687830a_b.jpg

Along with improving the transition + helix, I've re-modified the rest of the track where needed...

Here's the entire track + heartline as if viewing (almost) directly towards the west:

8418286238_ced26e335f_h.jpg

Finally, the updated original side view:

8417753204_de4ec6c4ca_b.jpg

I believe I'm pretty much done with all the track work, but any constructive criticism could only help to assure this would be even more like the real thing. That said, please feel free to point out anything else you see room for possible improvement.

Other than that, terraforming (and eventually support work and scenery) is now in order. Thanks again for everyone's interest/support and staying tuned. :)

P.S. Please note, some slightly bad news is that I've never been very familiar with the NoLimits Terraformer. This is the first time I will be thoroughly using it, so this phase may take a little longer than expected, so also don't be surprised if I'm back here asking for more help in completing this project! Wish me luck, again. :lol:

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
Just realized this thread could use some more aerial/top views...

Aerial shot in terraformer mode, looking northward:

8420342177_2bdbe60eb3_b.jpg

Top view of helix. Notice it isn't perfectly parabolic; this was handmade. Regardless though, it seems to ride better than it actually looks...

8420341497_9b1f5a5da7_b.jpg

If anyone thinks they can do better, be my guest. ;-)

Snoo

The Legend
Make sure that low turn is close to the ground.. I've hit grass on my hand on that sucker.

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
Taking another break. This time not due to technical difficulties, but just giving it a rest for a while. Like before, I will certainly be returning to it for further completion, and as always ─ thanks for everyone's interest and patience with this.

In the meantime, I still welcome any constructive criticism with what I've provided so far in the screen shots. It could only help to make this thing more accurate. Otherwise, just sit back and quietly observe for the next update, which you never know... could be a huge leap in progress.

BBH

Giga Poster
Hate to see another hiatus, but I will provide constructive criticism where I can.

From what I've seen, I don't think that the station is that low to the ground or the ground is that high. Couldn't really tell you, though, as I've never ridden Apollo's Chariot.

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
Are you sure?

To the right of the station, the ground is almost (if not completely) level with it, as could be seen in the above link.

There is a grain of truth to your claim, however. If I can recall correctly from everything I've observed: to the left and forward of the station, the ground does appear to slant downhill. I did make sure to include this in the early stages of terraforming, which indeed can't really be seen from the angle of my screenshot, with the exception of observing the space below the final brake run.