What's new

Another one gone ; Avalanche @ Timber Falls

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
That's a shame, anyone know why? I think the layout looks pretty good, it could've been made a great ride with some GCI treatment.

Lofty

CF Legend
The park was absolutely DEAD when we went and it's one of the worst wooden coasters I've done - it managed to break a filling and crack one of my teeth, **** knows how. Good riddance to the piece of ****e.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I quite liked it on my early morning ride so I'm a bit sad. Can totally see why it's going though - I was the only one in the park and the ride ops said that was perfectly normal.

Matt N

CF Legend
Strange. I remember reading a trip report from Wisconsin saying that this ride was pretty good.

Matt N

CF Legend
I just thought of an even more exciting possibility... potential RMC candidate, anyone? Or is Timber Falls the sort of park that couldn't afford an RMC?

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Yeah it’s definitely an abrasive experience in a sense but I loved it on the big trip last year. There was plenty of airtime on it and it held its pace really well, especially with those funny little trains. I’d heard bad things but the front seat night ride we got on it was incredible.

That being said, if they couldn’t afford to keep it up I wouldn’t be surprised. I got the vibe the place was going under based on its condition. If anything, both this and Wonder Woman are making me really glad we did this region last year and pushed Texas back a year.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Awful ride, and yeah the place was dead when I was there. Not surprising to see it go when I was the only rider on a weekend in summer.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
I went with IFC back in 2007 and it was actually pretty good then. But when you've got a park that isn't bringing in the revenue required to maintain it, I can see why it ended up beating the **** out of everyone who's been on it in the last 3 years or so. Even when we rode it, the place was dead, and there's some photos lying around somewhere of Ian and I taking it in turns to ride with a train to ourselves.

No big loss.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
FWIW, I rode in 2014 and thought it was pretty rubbish.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Back in 2005 this ride was absolutely GLORIOUS. Super smooth, fast, awesome airtime.... Top 10 ride for me at the time. Returned to the dells in 2012 and it was still a really good ride.... Although by then the ""park"" had a few new rules. Even if you had the all day pass, you could only do the coaster 5 times, and they would mark/hole-punch the wristband..... And they would only run the ride once every 15 minutes despite train loads.... So even when in a fully loaded train.... With us locked in... They held the train another 6 minutes before dispatch. And before each cycle would check a timer/clock on the control panel.

Last edited:

davidm

Strata Poster
BUMP;
Screamscape said:
(11/27/18) A reader passed by Timber Falls in Wisconson Dells and took pictures showing off the demolition now in progress on site, removing the former Avalanche wooden coaster, the log flume and some of the mini golf holes.
Go here for some pics of a dead coaster :(
db_2018_1123_TimberfallsDemolition31.jpg

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
I know it had pretty poor reviews but it actually looked quite good, really liked the aesthetic of having the coaster surround the log flume and golf course. Shame.