What's new

Alton Towers | Wicker Man | GCI Wood

Lofty

CF Legend
I'll admit, I've been in and out of this topic, have only seen a few updates, and hardly have a clue what's going on. But I do want to point out that GCI's recent (past decade) projects have managed to sneak airtime into the most subtle transitions. I'm not sure how close the updates have been to the ride itself, but I wouldn't sleep on it just yet - it could be quite a sleeper.
The more recent ones also have the size to back it up... this just doesn't.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I saw it in real life last week for the first time and I had no emotions :( My brain was just "..."
I thought I'd be very happy to see it but I wasn't
opdsX97.jpg

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Ohhh that makes me sad :(

I was actually quite surprised at the scale when I saw it for the first time a couple of weeks ago... sorry you were so underwhelmed.

Will

Strata Poster
This is going to be an ok filler coaster at best; it's not the woodie Alton should have got.
It's the woodie Alton wants, but not the one it needs right now...

I'm going for the first time this year on Sunday and whilst I'll obviously go over an have a goon, I don't expect to be impressed.
The aerial shot made me sigh.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Ohhh that makes me sad :(

I was actually quite surprised at the scale when I saw it for the first time a couple of weeks ago... sorry you were so underwhelmed.
It will probably end up being among my favourites in the park, but I didn't feel any excitement for it seeing in the flesh being built. Aren't we supposed to be giddy with excitement when we watch coasters being constructed at our home park?

Smithy

Strata Poster
I'm still hype for it tbh.

It looks visually impressive, it'll sound amazing;

And yet I'll always be riding it wondering what could have been.

That's what she said.

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
So many missed Nic Cage and bee related themeing opportunities
I would be more gutted if there wasn't a random rubber duck somewhere in the station or in the queue.
Caught myself getting a bit hyped the other day when I was in the park with non-goons who got all excited about the construction site. Help.

Sandman

Giga Poster
It will probably end up being among my favourites in the park, but I didn't feel any excitement for it seeing in the flesh being built. Aren't we supposed to be giddy with excitement when we watch coasters being constructed at our home park?

To be fair, those who aren't 'feeling' it yet will probably end up liking it a lot more than those who are genuinely excited. If it rides slightly better than total **** then it's already achieved something... sorta.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's been said before, and it'll be said again - I don't doubt this will be a good fun family coaster. My gripe is that I don't think it's going to be marketed as a family coaster, and therefore will fail in it's intent.

Clearly, this isn't going to be a world beater, but then neither are Wooden Warrior, Twister, Roar-O-Saurus, Switchback or Timber (the "family" woodies that come to mind). Those coasters aren't record beaters, aren't top-ten material, but they're absolutely brilliant family coasters. They don't try to be deep and dark and scary, they just come out there with everything and say "yeah, we're fun!".

While I think it's a shame Alton haven't built a Lightning Rod-esque terrain woodie, I'm not naive enough think they can make that sort of investment every time they build a coaster. Thirteen is not bad hardware (minus the trim, of course), but it's marketed wrong. This is going to be the same. I think many of the comments I'm seeing on this coaster would be totally different if Alton were selling this coaster differently. It could still be a secret weapon project, they could still do some great marketing, it just doesn't have to be a dark theme.

My only hope is that they're trolling us all, and the wickerman is actually going to be a swashbuckling pirate and it's going to fit right in Mutiny Bay or Katanga Canyon.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Entirely, which is why it's such a shame you're not excited. Hopefully it turns out to be a surprise for you, I was kinda excited just to see new wood in the UK. I'm relatively easily satisfied though, I'm not sure if that's a reflection on me or the poor state of our parks... bleak.

HAPPY FRIDAY!

scw55

Hyper Poster
I do dislike the marketing for the scare maze.
Ok, Fright Nights is a perfect time to drum up hype. OK, maybe a scare maze might work. However, we're all of the mind set that Merlin has to be careful about what bar they set for the terror of the marketing/scare maze because the coaster will be judged against it.

The GP on average are cynical and dumb (I work in retail, I have some authority in that judgement).

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
Does anyone know when the actual announcement is? I thought they said it would be announced during their Halloween event.

MakoMania

Mega Poster
Does anyone know when the actual announcement is? I thought they said it would be announced during their Halloween event.
AT usually announce their new rides in December/January.

I'll just throw in my thoughts on this project, I think it looks promising. It won't be the most thrilling ride in the world, however I do think it will be more thrilling than Th13teen judging by some of the banking. It also has two key elements that Alton are lacking, wood and airtime (hopefully). As for the theme, it remains to be seen if it'll be too intense for the associated ride, it can't be worse than Th13teen given that this coaster will be more thrilling.

Last edited:

scw55

Hyper Poster
Thirteen was about being strangled to death by vines wasn't it?
Let's hope they don't go with burning alive.

Dying works on a ride, but Oblivion pretty much covers that.