What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

The spider thing just looks so tacky!

A little color on this would've gone a long way. I just don't understand the fascination with black, is it due to trying to blend in for the surrounding neighbors or what.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

The industrial theming is giving mke a bit of a semi-on tbh. It looking good and will be fun to ride once or twice. I really, really hope Smiler doesn't end up having a "washing machine" element. It's already going to be nauseating enough. There are enough inversions, it doesn't need it.

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster

tomahawKSU said:

A little color on this would've gone a long way. I just don't understand the fascination with black, is it due to trying to blend in for the surrounding neighbors or what.

It looks fine. Sinister Government contraptions aren't generally painted with happy colours ;)

scw55

Hyper Poster

tomahawKSU said:

The X Sector seems to have a theme of colours:

Black and X.

Oblivion - Orange
Submission - Blue
Enterprise - Green
Smiler - Yellow.

So for the sake of continuity, the Marmaliser is Black and Yellow too.
-
Black was used for Oblivion (we assume) to make it look daunting. They probably used black with the rest of the rides to keep the theme up of intimidation.
There will be a little colour on it. Only through the aid of natural lighting. If you will bother to look you will see variances of black, lustre and yellow.
-
I think the Marmaliser is meant to look a little "tacky". I think it's tastefully kitch. Given the theming around this ride, it think it would be out-of-place if it was all Nemesisy. If Smiler was very 'secrete facility sciencey threaty', then it would indeed blend in with its surroundings. I think they've done well with giving this ride an identity without making it look daft. I would describe the theme as Kitch, not tacky, myself.

coasterdude_1

Mega Poster

It's not Kitsch - look up the definition of Kitsch :)

It's just a sort of Sci-fi in a slightly more comic book style I'd say- given the yellow accents etc.

Personally think they could have jazzed up the station building a tad more than the yellow piping- but perhaps it's not done yet...

scw55

Hyper Poster

Ok. It's not Kitsch. It's also not tacky.
It's also not Fish.

Lets choose more categories in which this coaster is not.

Slayed

Hyper Poster

furie said:
I think it's what the technical guys are calling the fault that makes the top and bottom of the screen not project properly ;)
Looking at the video, I can't shake the idea that they've wired the screens wrong! Either that or their programming is buggy. Love the content though, and the fact Alton have finally embraced some theming tech.

I wish they'd used LED nets on the roof of the Thirteen tunnel to show images of wraiths chasing you, tech FTW!

Mushroom

Goon of the Year

Someone at Alton today has said it is testing. Not 100% confirmed yet

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster

^I'm not buying it now. There's no way the team could have concreted the footers, put the cars on the track and installed the lift chain in that short amount of time.

Also, "testing" is open to interpretation. Testing what exactly?

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster

"Testing" could just be a description of the park atmosphere if it's overly busy!!

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster

Mushroom said:
Someone at Alton today has said it is testing. Not 100% confirmed yet
Was there today. No sign unfortunately.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Peter

Hyper Poster

Towers Times posted that Gerstlauer say it should be ready for the public in 2-3 weeks and that testing of systems will commence on Tuesday with cars out on track a day or two after this. They don't quote their source so I guess we take this with a pinch of salt for the moment, but if we hear some noises on Tuesday its looking promising :)

http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/news/n...id=1367172301&archive&start_from&ucat=1,10,11

Sent from my Nexus 7

Waffleman

Mega Poster

I don't know if anyone's already mentioned this, and I'm not going to read 300 pages to find out, but if any of you have watched the promotional video AT did with some bloke from JLS I'd gamble that the music in the background will be the station/area music.

Click here to watch

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

I can't see this opening on the 18th, unless it open's unfinished, I was looking at the vertical lift hill yesterday, and they surely can't leave the wall's around it looking like that, it way just need a lick of paint over it, but looks rather vile atm.

Robbie

Hyper Poster

Waffleman said:
I don't know if anyone's already mentioned this, and I'm not going to read 300 pages to find out, but if any of you have watched the promotional video AT did with some bloke from JLS I'd gamble that the music in the background will be the station/area music.

Click here to watch
They've been playing up the JLS link for months now, and when the ride is finally almost open... the band split up! Hope it's not an omen.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Maybe the band are just going through a rough patch? Just like the coaster will?

marc

CF Legend

owenrita121 said:
I can't see this opening on the 18th, unless it open's unfinished, I was looking at the vertical lift hill yesterday, and they surely can't leave the wall's around it looking like that, it way just need a lick of paint over it, but looks rather vile atm.

They have 3 weeks, that's loads of time to sort out walls and ground work.

Status
Not open for further replies.