What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coasterlover

Roller Poster
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown (Gestlauer?) World's 1st

I don't think they're waiting, they would've done the footers by now if they were waiting and they havn't. They've probably got abit more groundwork to do and then the footers will go in, then hopefully we'll see some track.

Ethan

Strata Poster

^ Perhaps they're not in a rush to do the footers because they're delaying the track until after the season?

marc

CF Legend

Coasters these days hardly take any time to build, the theming is another matter though.

Smithy

Strata Poster

I'm thinking the same as Joey, everything they've done so far would suggest that they're trying to instill doubt amongst those following developments, and tbh even when we do see the track all it'll do is settle one of several key debates about the ride. Still won't settle the trains, the mystery element etc...

Dar

Hyper Poster

After paying a visit to "The Sanctuary" last weekend, I'm not sure how the massive spider fits in with the theming at all?

There's also the question of whether the track shown in plans is actually what is going to be built. Isn't the coaster in GDO? So as long the high points remain, well, high, then what happens in between could be anything!

I'm also not buying this whole washing machine theory, it's sounds ridiculous!

Smithy

Strata Poster

Spiders web is all I can come up with with regards to that giant bit of themeing.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

A spider spins a web.

The logo was projected on the Towers last night.
A5mmGp1CUAAUkEo.jpg

Lofty

CF Legend

Not really, I don't think it's strange seen as next to no foundation work has properly been done!

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster

I take it the spider is supposed to represent some dystopian war machine. I wouldn't be surprised if the designers looked at both War Of The Worlds and the Matrix for inspiration.

the king

Mega Poster

I feel the spider is meant to be some kind of security system. I think the story will be that some people have escaped from the building. And the spider is meant to retrieve them. Should be interesting to see it all come together.

Also a picture from yesterday. I'm surprised how fast the concrete has set. Only around 2 days ago, they were putting up the casing for the cast of the station wall base.

DSC07260.jpg

Image taken by Theme UK. http://themeuk.net/blog/?p=2139

Martyn B

CF Legend

No matter who is making it, this is going to look SO good <3

6675001339_c2ed602a00.jpg

Smithy

Strata Poster

When other rides were built, was the track on site before the park shut for the season?

Only reason I ask that I imagine the roads around Alton aren't exactly convenient for transporting large loads in high quantities, and so during the season I imagine they'd not want to risk holding up the traffic etc...

Also, how long into construction before we see the Ropers in the papers again?

Jake

Strata Poster

You get quite a clear view of X Sector from the road outside the park in the winter (no leaves on the trees), so I'm looking forward to sneaky photos from there <3.

How visible will this actually be from other places? I remember some of the rendering things showing it sticking out of the trees quite a lot from that other section of road (coming from Farley), but obviously they're not totally accurate. Should be interesting to follow though.

Btw, without sounding like a complete retard could someone post links to the 'plans'... I can't seem to find them haha.

I'm still really suprised they're building something so large, especially in X sector. Totes didn't think we'd ever see another major cred there <3.

Martyn B

CF Legend

I'm pretty certain that Thirteens track was in that car park before the park shut. In fact, I'll go one further and say that it was going vertical before the park shut....?

Though I dont think the track for this will be in that car park, I think there's a few 'behind the scenes' areas around the X-Sector where they'll probably store it.

Smithy

Strata Poster

Cheers for the link. The super-imposed images to show how visible it is from surrounding areas are awesome.

2hzli82.jpg

First drop looks weird. Vertical lift, and then almost a 180 angled drop from that image.

Martyn B

CF Legend

Yeah from that angle, both them pre-drops look more like proper drops.

RobJackson85

Roller Poster

Even if this does ride like a washing machine, bumping and banging you all over. It'll certainly look impressive.

I know it was said afew pages back, but, an 8 (at least) looping coaster at Alton with all their restrictions is amazing!

Posting on the go via Tapatalk.

scw55

Hyper Poster

Won't it be their only sit-on-top-of-track inverting coaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.