What's new

Alton Towers SW8

EthC

Mega Poster
12516097_10209028119279330_2060835508_n.jpg

This is on the site of The Flume by the way.

Exciting stuff!

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Alton Towers 'Announces' SW8

The 'Towers Loving Care' Twitter account have posted this...

https://twitter.com/AltonTLC/status/710167887642763265

CdsF5FFW0AI7iAh.jpg

Given that Towers' high investment year is set for 2018 (as far as I know), it's going to be a long time before we get any information on this I guess. But with Flume and Ripsaw gone, and with Towers' consulting the local council about a coaster in that general area, that area is a possibility.

Enjoy the wild speculation everyone!

EDIT: Was beaten to it in another thread; feel free to delete if necessary mods! Merged rather than deleted. - ECG

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Re: Alton Towers submits planning permission

Could this be for next year after all? Because Chessington we're supposed to be getting something, but we've not heard anything about it.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster

OMG

gYcO8QY.gif

Another year of inevitable stress, disappointment and heartbreak, but I can't help feeling overwhelmed and euphoric! Bring it on!

Ben

CF Legend

#breaktheinternet

I don't even know I want it to be an RMC but I know it won't be.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

How exciting...
Obviously hope it's a coaster but it just occurred to me, they could follow in Thorpe's footsteps and get another dark ride. Imagine if it was also based around a train station, taunting people about the lack of public transport in Alton.
Or, to get in early...site of the flume...Aquatrax?

Sandman

Giga Poster

To be fair, I wouldn't mind going down the dark ride route as long as it's not another VR. I'd like more of an all-consuming experience, like a decent indoor coaster or water ride,

Martyn B

CF Legend
Re: Alton Towers 'Announces' SW8

Yeah I know I'm going to be alone here, but I'd love to see a pirate themed Mack Water coaster.

Don't get me wrong, I love coasters I do. But I also love variety, especially at a park like Alton.

Martyn B

CF Legend

Can we not just keep this as the Galactica/Rollercoaster Restaurant thread?

(If so, please can someone change the title, it's a bit overdue ;) )

Edit: Split the topic. :wink: - ECG

Sandman

Giga Poster

I'm glad this has been announced now to be honest. Probably needed after the whole Smiler incident and I don't really think Galactica is the huge shake up the British theme park industry needs. Could be a similar competitive streak to 1994 with both Towers and Pleasure Beach now preparing for another big investment in the same season.

Swat

Mega Poster

I think with all the refurbs and revamps over this closed Alton were getting a lot of stick, I have been looking over the towers loving care twitter and all the work looks great!

Now with this announced this season seems like its all about getting past the Smiler incident and preparing for a renewed season next year!

Really hope we get a nice big investment on the scale of The Smiler, would love an RMC and can't really see this being anything but one. I am guessing this till cover the flume site and extend out to the former Ripsaw area?

elephant58

Hyper Poster

If it follows the document submitted in April last year, then yeah, it will be situated in the northern end of Forbidden Valley near the Flume site and extend down into the Ripsaw site.

Swat

Mega Poster
I know this is from 2011 but it seems very relevant, the SW8 signs graphical style has a sort of pirate theme.

thumb_6087277186_dc50db6188_b.jpg

Sandman

Giga Poster
Could be. I think a major ride in the Flume's location would tie into the Mutiny Bay area quite nicely. I'm still feeling as though this deserves to be a coaster or dark ride. I know it's ridiculously cliche but, my god, this is screaming for a well-themed woodie. Wouldn't be too hard to successfully immerse riders either.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I really, really hope it's a RMC as what was originally rumoured a year or so ago.

There has always been this theory that Merlin consider woodies unsafe and the public won't take to them, but that was before RMC burst on the scene.

If anything, some people might think that steel technically advanced, limit pushing coasters are unsafe. A 'back to basics' traditional woodie couldn't be further from the Smiler. Parks such Tayto Park and Plopsa that offer an alternative day out to UK visitors are investing in wood.

The timing is so right. The stars are aligned. Now everybody light a candle and pray facing towards Hayden, Idaho!

Sandman

Giga Poster
Tayto dropped a serious A-bomb with Cu Chulainn - it's basically given the place a new lease of life. And that's at a small park in rural Ireland. Just imagine what Towers could do with a coaster of that magnitude, plus a solid marketing campaign, an interesting theme and narrative. Could be the best thing since Nemmy.