What's new

Alton Towers | Nemesis Reborn | B&M Retrack | 2024

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Surely it's a want - if it wasn't, the coaster would be removed?
I think he’s being captain obvious in that something needed doing about the 28yr old track and foundations as they’re on their last legs… 🙈😂

@Nemisis I don’t think anybody here thought that they just woke up one day and thought… “you know what would be nice, some shiny new track!”

Also there are several members here who are ‘very close to the situation!’ ;)

Nemisis

Roller Poster
Ha ha yeah I know. Yeah, I just meant in the context of people thinking this was a proactive act of love. But from the sound of it we all know the score.

Will

Strata Poster
Now - am I being overly optimistic here, or could this potentially be completed in 6-9 months?

This may have been covered in the topic already, but I was envisaging the ride shutting shortly after the Summer holidays (as it usually does for maintenance) but not re-opening until Easter/Summer 2023. The idea of a Scarefest/fireworks with no Nemesis is upsetting for most of us, but I feel like the 'average visitor' wouldn't be as perturbed as they would be to lack Smiler/Wicker etc.

There's also the issue that Forbidden Valley is going to become something of a ghost town while this is going on (and I'd imagine a lot will be fenced off) and they'll want to get as much of that out of the way NOT during normal operating hours.

I've been firmly of the opinion that we shouldn't mess with the classics, but given this is seemingly a necessity, it would make sense to get things moving sooner rather than later...

Jared

Hyper Poster
I think the view is that the ride will run out this season and then close for 2023. It’s heavily rumoured that Sub Terra will be reopening (In some vein) to support with Nemesis being closed.

Then, the ride would reopen fresh faced and tarted up for its 30th in 2024.

Rupert

Mega Poster
And would they have ordered the track before planning was consented? Perhaps provisionally but I imagine it’ll take a bit of time to manufacture - B&M’s plant isn’t lying empty waiting for an order.

Then the actual job itself will take a long time surely - as well as track removal in a massively inconvenient setting (even in good weather conditions), they need to reinforce the selected footers before reconstruction with the new track. I’m no industry expert at all but I’d lean towards Jared being right that it will be closed an entire season to get it done sadly.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Nemesis being closed for a whole season (more or less) is gonna be leave a HUGE hole in the park's lineup.

(Yes I understand the timeline of this process, but still).

Matt N

CF Legend
Nemesis being closed for a whole season (more or less) is gonna be leave a HUGE hole in the park's lineup.

(Yes I understand the timeline of this process, but still).
With that in mind, I guess we can have faith in the fact that that hole is only being left for a season at most as opposed to forever (given the ride is being retracked, I’m assuming that removal would have been the other option)!

To be honest, though; as much as I love Nemesis, and I will miss it while it’s shut, I won’t be devastated at the prospect of not riding it for a year. Perhaps that’s because Nemesis isn’t my favourite coaster at Towers like it is for most (that title goes to Wicker Man, with Oblivion also outranking Nemesis), but I don’t feel like having Nemesis shut will leave as much of a gaping hole in Towers’ lineup for me as it seemingly will for most.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
What is the actual difference between Inferno's and the original's trains? I've looked at photos for reference but can't seem to spot any differences? (Apart from size)
I noticed the back of the seats look a little different, I'm finding it hard to get good pictures of them as most pictures are understandably from the front. As I recall Nemesis has more of a boxy frame behind the seat whereas Inferno doesn't.

Edit: I looked at some POVs, the difference is fairly minor actually, Nemesis seems to have a bar connecting the seats at the bottom whereas Nemesis Inferno does not.
There is a much wider gap between the rows of seats. I can touch the seat in front with my feet on Nemesis, miles off on Inferno.

Which I guess makes sense, as Nemesis has 8 rows, Inferno has 7.

This I presume leads to much lighter trains, which is the main reason I’m worried. 😟

Also, obviously a lower throughput.

ScottLann

Mega Poster
There is a much wider gap between the rows of seats. I can touch the seat in front with my feet on Nemesis, miles off on Inferno.
I actually just went on Nemesis the other day and was on the back row. Something that I noticed which I'd never realised before was like what you said, if i put my legs straight forward, I could almost be touching the carriage infront whereas I don't recall ever being that close to the one's on Inferno.

Matt N

CF Legend
With that in mind, I guess we can have faith in the fact that that hole is only being left for a season at most as opposed to forever (given the ride is being retracked, I’m assuming that removal would have been the other option)!

To be honest, though; as much as I love Nemesis, and I will miss it while it’s shut, I won’t be devastated at the prospect of not riding it for a year. Perhaps that’s because Nemesis isn’t my favourite coaster at Towers like it is for most (that title goes to Wicker Man, with Oblivion also outranking Nemesis), but I don’t feel like having Nemesis shut will leave as much of a gaping hole in Towers’ lineup for me as it seemingly will for most.
As this post is getting lots of shocked gasps and angry reactions, I’d like to apologise for my awful behaviour, and I’d also like to clarify what I meant, because I don’t think I put it across in the best way last night.

I won’t deny that Nemesis going down for a season will leave a hole, because it certainly will. It’s a ride I’ve ridden at least once on the bulk of my Towers visits over the years, and it’s a ride I like a lot and one that has a lot of sentimental value for me. It’s my most ridden coaster.

However, some of these posts seem to imply that other people feel that Nemesis’ absence will significantly decrease the quality of Towers’ lineup and not make it worth visiting while the ride is shut, which I don’t personally agree with. I’ll happily digress that I don’t rate Nemesis as highly as most, and I do prefer Wicker Man & Oblivion within Towers. And Rita isn’t that far from Nemesis in my rankings, either (albeit an entire point below, scoring an 8 while Nemesis scores a 9), and Thirteen rates pretty decently too (a solid 7).

My point is; while I love Nemesis, I don’t think its absence will leave as much of a gaping hole for me as it does for others, because Towers still has plenty of other rides I rate highly (higher than Nemesis, in some cases), and the reason I said that I wouldn’t be devastated at the prospect of not riding it for a year is because that’s a far easier pill to swallow than the alternative option of the ride being removed, and us never getting to ride it again. Nemesis is awesome and loved, and I don’t think it deserves to be permanently removed, so I can take a year of the ride being down if it keeps the ride going for another 30 years.

I apologise once again (I feel slightly bad even saying that Nemesis isn’t my favourite coaster at Towers, or that I don’t rate it as highly as others…), and I hope I made my point clearer.

Last edited:

Archie

Mega Poster
As this post is getting lots of shocked gasps and angry reactions, I’d like to apologise for my awful behaviour, and I’d also like to clarify what I meant, because I don’t think I put it across in the best way last night.

I won’t deny that Nemesis going down for a season will leave a hole, because it certainly will. It’s a ride I’ve ridden at least once on the bulk of my Towers visits over the years, and it’s a ride I like a lot and one that has a lot of sentimental value for me.

However, some of these posts seem to imply that other people feel that Nemesis’ absence will significantly decrease the quality of Towers’ lineup and not make it worth visiting while the ride is shut, which I don’t personally agree with. I’ll happily digress that I don’t rate Nemesis as highly as most, and I do prefer Wicker Man & Oblivion within Towers. And Rita isn’t that far from Nemesis in my rankings, either (albeit an entire point below, scoring an 8 while Nemesis scores a 9), and Thirteen rates pretty decently too (a solid 7).

My point is; while I love Nemesis, I don’t think its absence will leave as much of a gaping hole for me as it does for others, because Towers still has plenty of other rides I rate highly (higher than Nemesis, in some cases), and the reason I said that I wouldn’t be devastated at the prospect of not riding it for a year is because that’s a far easier pill to swallow than the alternative option of the ride being removed, and us never getting to ride it again. Nemesis is awesome and loved, and I don’t think it deserves to be permanently removed, so I can take a year of the ride being down if it keeps the ride going for another 30 years.

I apologise once again (I feel slightly bad even saying that Nemesis isn’t my favourite coaster at Towers, or that I don’t rate it as highly as others…), and I hope I made my point clearer.
don't worry about it, you like what you like and shouldn't need to apologise for it.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

I won’t deny that Nemesis going down for a season will leave a hole, because it certainly will. It’s a ride I’ve ridden at least once on the bulk of my Towers visits over the years, and it’s a ride I like a lot and one that has a lot of sentimental value for me. It’s my most ridden coaster.

I mean, it got a shocked face from Will, who still lives in 1994 and worships B&M like they’re gods, and the creators of all… With Nemesis being their 1st wonder of the world.

And an Angry face from Crash, who is, well he’s Crash haha.

Chill out Matt, you’re entitled to an opinion, and they’re entitled to oppose it. Neither of them are shy about expressing theirs, and neither of them expect you to be shy about expressing your own… They clearly don’t agree is all…

Will

Strata Poster
I mean, it got a shocked face from Will, who still lives in 1994 and worships B&M like they’re gods, and the creators of all… With Nemesis being their 1st wonder of the world.
Hahahaha. I was going to explain, but Nick's hit the nail on the head :D If stating your opinion is 'awful behaviour' then I'm clearly hellbound, so please chill :)

I don't understand people who don't think Nemesis is the best coaster there - but only in the same way I don't understand people who enjoy healthy food or can get through a bad day without the compulsion to reach for a bottle of scotch :p

This won't make sense to a lot of people, but I'm basically like one of *those* metal fans who don't think Number of the Beast or Master of Puppets have ever been bettered ;)