What's new

Alton Towers | Nemesis Reborn | B&M Retrack | 2024

Sandman

Giga Poster
I don't mind it.

The 'Reborn' aspect probably won't stick around forever and will just tie into the forthcoming marketing campaigns to reintroduce the coaster in its rebranded form to the GP.

More than likely we'll see it referred to as Nemesis after a few seasons, much like how Rita: Queen of Speed simply became Rita etc.

Edit: @holtjammy16 pretty much what you've said, just forgot to read your comment 😂

Peet

Giga Poster
I don't really like it but I don't blame them either, having a new name (and new colour scheme) improves the marketability as a new attraction.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Ultimately, they're a business and they need it to be marketable to attract visitors and justify the investment. Regardless of any deal with B&M, this does cost the park and they're down a headline attraction for the 2023 season.

Also, they know (and we know) that suckers like us are going to open our wallets and purses for this merchandise.

Joelpagett

Mega Poster
Merlin's attractions basically get off the drawing board and into real life based on their marketability. Take Derren Brown's Ghost Train at Thorpe - on paper, it sounded thrilling and highly marketable but in real life, it was a (insert expletive of choice). However, you can't argue that the ride drew the crowds in it's first few seasons and was highly talked about.

That's the sort of thing they'll be going for with Nemesis. Essentially this project will cost 10+ million quid, and they'll be damned sure that everyone knows it's 'new and improved' - otherwise what would be the point of spending the money?

As mentioned above, it's inoffensive, people won't use the name, but for marketing terms, it gives them something to work the 'new' angle from.

spicy

Giga Poster
To be fair Nemesis Reborn is better than “The New Nemesis” like how CWoA advertised “The New Vampire” in 2002.

As others have said - everyone will still call it Nemesis anyway and the Reborn part will be quietly dropped in a few years.

Peet

Giga Poster
Towers just shared the 2023 map:
They're making a decent level of fuss about the Nemesis refurb but there's no sign of NST reopening. Maybe all that work in the NST queue was just for the viewing platform?

Matt N

CF Legend
Towers just shared the 2023 map:
They're making a decent level of fuss about the Nemesis refurb but there's no sign of NST reopening. Maybe all that work in the NST queue was just for the viewing platform?
What I would say is that nothing apart from the Big 7, The Curse at Alton Manor and some attractions in CBeebies Land was actually labelled on that map, so Sub-Terra could well have been missed off as one of the peripheral attractions that wasn’t labelled. Hex fell into that category, as did things like Spinball Whizzer, Runaway Mine Train and Congo River Rapids, so it’s a possibility for sure.

The Sub-Terra related revelation that I found interesting, however, is that for the first time since 2015, the building has actually been drawn on the map next to Nemesis… to me, that could be rather telling. Drawing it on there was clearly a conscious decision, and seeing as it’s been absent from the map ever since the ride closed, it could definitely suggest that the park intends to reuse that space at some point this season…

Swat

Mega Poster
I expect this is a clear marketing and business decision. Get everyone in for the opening of the Manor let the opening buzz die down then announce Sub Terra opening mid season to draw people back. If you announce it opening later people may hold off going early and only go once.

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster

image0.jpg

Wow. They knocked this out of the park. It seriously looks better than I ever would have expected.