What's new

Alton Towers | Nemesis Reborn | B&M Retrack | 2024

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
Hahaha, I told Hixee I was setting it up so I could read the notifications (that I was somehow still receiving.) Hence giving it an obvious name and not using a VPN.

Just approve it, I won’t use it… If I can (I should be able to) I’ll shut it down myself. 👍
Wait what even was the named you chose for that alt?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
It's already gone. :D

Can't believe the notifications were that important, myself. ;)
They weren’t… Just people I thought were friends laughing at my ban 😢

Wait what even was the named you chose for that alt?

AlvoBan

My old username on coaster forums and elsewhere used to be AlvoRam. As in Alvo for the area I lived at the time, and Ram as in a fan of Derby County Football Club. I just changed the Ram to Ban.

ViperGTS500

Roller Poster
Does anyone think or know if they'll incorporate some of the old track to the new ride? Some kind of graveyard or whatever?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Does anyone think or know if they'll incorporate some of the old track to the new ride? Some kind of graveyard or whatever?
Personally, the pitched idea earlier in this thread of setting up interlocking corkscrews with the existing Corkscrew track at the main entrance is basically the only thing worth doing at this point to my mind. Anything less would be a significant step back.

Obviously might not be practical from the shaping differences of a 1980s Vekoma and a 1990s B&M, but still...

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Personally, the pitched idea earlier in this thread of setting up interlocking corkscrews with the existing Corkscrew track at the main entrance is basically the only thing worth doing at this point to my mind. Anything less would be a significant step back.

Obviously might not be practical from the shaping differences of a 1980s Vekoma and a 1990s B&M, but still...

I'd take the zero g roll over the entrance road.

Knowing merlin there will be a small piece of track left in the first on the far turn around of thirteen and it will be lost under foliage in a year or two.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Another area of improvement for me would be a total overhaul of the station.

Make it look more fearsome and less cartoony; maybe something like a Xenomorph from Alien. It's long slimy, dark tentacles shoot off from the station building and all around/between areas of the track like it is truly tangled and in chaos.

ScottLann

Mega Poster
Personally, I think it could be a good idea to have some of the old track weaving in and out of the path that leads to the hotel-access into Forbidden Valley.

At the moment, it's just some rocks on the path so it could definitely do with something like this?

Matt N

CF Legend
I wonder if they might follow suit with Blackpool Pleasure Beach and sell any pieces of old Nemesis track?

They could make an absolute killing, as I’m sure there would be plenty of willing buyers!

I include myself in that group seeing as I already own a small piece of the Big One’s old track, as well as two Wicker Man off cuts… a piece of the original Nemesis would certainly be a brilliant addition to my collection!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I've never purchased pieces of ride hardware. In fact I own one piece, a side friction wheel off a coaster that was located at American Adventure. But I got that for free, I live really close to the site and I found it just lying there on the ground, right on the footprint of where the coaster used to stand. (Buffalo if anybody is interested.)

I used to use it as a pen holder on my desk, being a side friction wheel it's taller and slimmer so perfect for that.

Anyway, I digress, I've never bought hardware, but I would 100% try and bag me a piece of Nemesis. Would almost complete my collection so to speak, American Adventure and Nemesis are what started it all for me.

spicy

Giga Poster
I guess Merlin need to take into consideration the cost of cutting the track up, the staff to sell it, the collection costs (staff), the delivery costs.

Much easier for them to skip all the faff and just send it all to the scrap yard unfortunately.

When you consider what BPB did with the big one recently though, something similar for Nemesis would have been awesome and would definately sell out..

big one.jpg

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Also everyone is totally forgetting the current price of scrap. There's no chance they're going to skip the opportunity to make some cash back, it's just common business sense.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Also everyone is totally forgetting the current price of scrap. There's no chance they're going to skip the opportunity to make some cash back, it's just common business sense.

Ahem...

Love that idea!!!
Sadly, scrap metal prices have doubled since Covid began, and at over £200 per tonne, and a reported 440 tonnes of track on Nemesis, (*not sure how accurate that is, I just remember reading it and remembering that figure specifically) who could blame them for taking almost £90k for it? (*Or whatever crazy amount it is.)

Doesn't mean we can't dream though.... You'd fetch much more than £200 per tonne (Or maybe less now, as scrap has been falling since August.) if you cut it up into small pieces and sold them as souvenirs. But the cost of processing the metal into manageable sized pieces may, as @spicy pointed out, mean it's not worthwhile.

ScottLann

Mega Poster
Not sure if many have already have already seen pictures floating around on social media, but thought i'd share one of the good shots I've seen of the current progress....
20221223_084455.jpg
Totally wierd seeing all the track missing and I can't wait to see what it looks like when there's none left at all.