What's new

Alton Towers' Galactica VR coaster/Rollercoaster Restaurant

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Re: Alton Towers submits planning permission

I noticed on my visit last month that a lot of the Air merch was on offer (half price, 2 for 1s, etc), similar to how all the Rita:QoS merch went on offer before her slight retheme for Dark Forest. These touch ups, along with FoodLoop, make me wonder if they're thinking of a slight retheme for next season?

Would be a relatively easy and cheap way to market something as new and try and draw crowds in. Then again, I could just be putting 2 and 2 together to get 5.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Ben said:
Meh, you can't polish a turd. Nor will this improve the worst thing B&M have ever done.
You've ridden both Vortex coasters?

jj23w

Hyper Poster

Going to take a guess at what the ride improvements are and I know how Merln love worlds firsts... Worlds First Virtual Reality Flying Coaster, well that's what I think it's going to be shoot me down if you think I'm wrong.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

"Prepare for a new flight". JJ's theory is VERY possible, we all know Blue Fire has successfully tried it already after all.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

If they were to do a VR experience coaster, I'd be very wary about using the headgear on Air. I know it's not the most intense coaster but surely the inversions increase the risk of them falling off? OK, so it worked fine on blue Fire, I'm just a bit surprise AT would go for such a thing. I hope it is this though, as I found the one at Europa FAB! Tbh, it would be best suited to the Mine Train.

Lofty

CF Legend

I really love the interaction that Air has with the surrounding area and the near misses with the track, I am really NOT enjoying this concept.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

^ Hopefully it would be optional like the one at Europa Park. Although I don't understand at Europa why those using VR headsets are in the front of the carriage? Why not put them at the back so those who can actually see the real surroundings can enjoy it properly. I guess it'd down to the station layout and where the VR headsets are collected from.

Robbie

Hyper Poster

Ian said:
I'm just a bit surprise AT would go for such a thing.
You're surprised Merlin are going with a gimmicky, flash, potentially unreliable fad? Blimey! ;)

elephant58

Hyper Poster

The teaser seems to suggest a futuristic, spacey theme and could be where the 'Galactica' trademark comes into things.

I hope a repaint is included in this refurbishment, as long as it's still blue.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

Let's say they are definitely turning Air into a VR coaster for a moment (I'm aware it could be teasing something else).

I think it would be quite good, even better if they make multiple videos for it with different themes and allow you to choose between them as you board the train.

Lofty has a valid point about the near misses with the scenery being gone but I'm thankful they aren't **** with the 90's classics.

The VR experience on Blue Fire may be optional but I reckon Merlin are the type to make something like this forced and I'm sure people will agree.

Overall I would support the decision to make Air a VR coaster and would look forward to riding it.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

The whole VR concept will be a hygiene hazard. I refuse to wear those things unless they constantly cycle through UV washers. What if someone has an eye infection that they pass it on???

F that for a laugh.

Martyn B

CF Legend

And there was me hoping they were going to bring air in with FV theme...

Ben

CF Legend

Screaming Coasters said:
The whole VR concept will be a hygiene hazard. I refuse to wear those things unless they constantly cycle through UV washers. What if someone has an eye infection that they pass it on???

F that for a laugh.

They sanitise them after every use.

You'd have thought someone so in the know regarding the theme park industry would be abreast of the latest developments really.

Darren B

Giga Poster

Ben said:
Screaming Coasters said:

F that for a laugh.

You'd have thought someone so in the know regarding the theme park industry would be abreast of the latest developments really.

Having a logo design and a Facebook page for a fantasy theme park with less than 300 likes doesn't make Erol knowledgable whatsoever; just delusional.

Smithy

Strata Poster

Simmer down lads, calling out Erol is my job remember.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

Ben said:
Screaming Coasters said:

F that for a laugh.

Double post, but I do understand how it works. However the fast-paced nature of Air and its complexity might hinder this quite dramatically. Whether left to staff or left to guests, its going to be extremely tricky to streamline this process to an acceptable standard. It works amazingly well in VR rooms, but VR rides? I reserve judgement till I see it working.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

The likelihood is they will have at least double what is required in order to properly clean them. The cleaners they use for glasses take about 30 seconds and I'm assuming this wouldn't take much longer.

Simple really. They wouldn't be able to do it without proper safety guidelines in place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

^ Actually, there are no hygiene regulation set for these. Its down to the parks to come up with solutions / use available solutions. I'd like to know how it works. It'll be interesting to see how Alton Towers handles this. Will they separate the electronic component from the headgear and then wash it, or is it simply sanitised with a wipe like in an IMAX cinema / VR rooms?