What's new

Alton Towers for Fireworks 5th and 6th November

Beans

Hyper Poster
We went to Alton for the fireworks this year, travelled up to Alton on Friday and even with all the traffic hold ups on the way managed to get to Tower Street with 10 mins to spare (they put us in the Hotel Car Park as well)for that nights display, and well worth the hassle of the traffic it was.
Managed to stand on the grassy raised area and got a really good view of whole display, absolutely Awesome.
After the fireworks we made our way to Th13teen as Phill hadn’t ridden it before, was quite a slow walk as the crowds were obviously all heading the same way. The night riding of Th13teen is really quite good, as we were at the back got really good airtime and all the effects were working well, was impressed for a family coaster, and I can honestly say I enjoyed it.
Next we went to Rita as it was close and had very little queue(they were all in the Th13teen one). I struck very lucky as being the someone nicked my position in row 6 I got sent to front row, Phill didn’t need any persuading to join me, never having ridden Rita in the dark was very impressed, and front row is always good. It was the best ride I have ever had on Rita, no ear bashing and even consider saying it was smooth, got good airtime as well. Came off with a big smile which was shown in photos and seeing as it was a very cheesy one we got it. On way out enquired about a Special Wrist band for Phill for next day, got it processed okay and told to pick up in morning.
As we hadn’t had a lot to eat went to Uttoxeter Maccy D’s as it was 24 hour then went to Travelodge at Stoke Talke.

Early rise for Sat, made our way to park and picked up Phills bands and one each for Leigh and I as well. (Different system to Thorpe).
We then used Skyride to get to Forbidden Valley, Nemesis first for today, no prob getting on at exit with bands, sent back row, now I had forgotten how forceful back row was, and boy did it tug you along, felt so exhilarated after. Leigh and I did single rider for another ride as it wasn’t busy yet.
We next went to Air, back row again(they seem to use this for special passes like most Merlin parks), okay Air doesn’t excite my as much these days but it was a good ride around.
Next we did Duel got the highest score of the 3 of us 42900.
Now went to RMT. This was fun as Di (Choo Choo Lady) was there but on platform, she put us on train and in chatted, she said she was sad it was the end of the season. Whilst we were doing our first time around she went up to operate, and she didn’t disappoint, sent us for 3rd time with a Choo Choo, the was heckled by someone and for his cheek sent us round again, she certainly give the ride a boost. We next went to Dark Forest at a slow pace as Phill was struggling with the walk, but did Th13teen in daylight, it still feels good(yes I know many others will say not) but I actually enjoyed it, again we were put to the back, which is the best in my opinion, and for this we got good airtime, especially as I had the bar a tad loose, it seems to go a bit faster now and the launch back into the station is definitely faster.
Now on to Rita again, back row, all I can say is OMG that was good, was expecting a definite ear bashing, but didn’t get it, well impressed.
Went to Oblivion next and as usual really enjoyed Oblivion, Leigh had his KFC now so Phill could rest for a while. Once he had finished made our way to Spinball, Leigh did single rider and beat us through as exit pass was 45mins, Leigh then went on to do Oblivion and Nemesis again. Once we had eventually got though to Spinball, ( they were only using car 7 for exit queue)Still prefer Dragons Fury so much smoother.
We made a very slow walk over to the pizza/pasta place near RMT, now this my only critism of the Park, how come they put the most popular place to eat in the most inaccessible place for people who have mobility problems, right in the middle of the longest walk between skyride stations! We made it after a 20 min walk and had to queue to get in as well, but being only 2 of us we jumped the queue luckily.
Spent time eating then having been joined by Leigh again we made our way slowly to Nemesis again, was to be Phill and my last visit to here as the Skyride was now closed as it was 3.30. Once we had ridden we had the long walk to Hex as Leigh wanted to go there, and Phill wasn’t going to be persuaded to go on Leigh had to do the 50 min queue. We waited for him, did attempt to get on Th13teen again but the queue had been closed due to the capacity of it in readiness for the Fireworks. We sat around for Leigh then made our way to Tower Street to pick our place for Fireworks, Leigh went off to get his night ride on Nemesis.
We picked our spot near Medical centre so Phill could sit down and waited for the Fireworks to begin. Just before the start a small argument was had as we had been standing since 5pm at our location and a chap then stood right in front of us all and put his child on his shoulders, to say he was not at all popular was an understatement as he had only just barged in and did this, we all ganged up on him and he moved(I think there would have been a riot if he hadn’t).We then stood and watched the Awesome display again and again it didn’t disappoint, everyone was cheering and dancing to the music and it was a very big crowd.
After the Fireworks we went to Oblivion, had never been on here in the dark before and WOW, it was amazing, the little ring of lights around the hole and the fact that if you take a big breath(as you do going down the drop) you seem to swallow a big mouthful for the mist. Excellent, so we did it again, the host was okay with this so we were happy, as we still had half an hour and didn’t want to push our luck on here again, we made a slow walk to Th13teen, it was heaving and had broken down, after a brief reset it was up again,(talking to the host she made a comment about the number of people in the park saying if was around 30,000, blimey) we got on back again and again even without all the effects working it was good, that little wiggle backwards from the drop was fun.
Now the Park was officially closed the slow walk back to Mono rail, it was heaving, the queues we saw from this of the cars leaving was horrendous so we sat for a while before attempting to leave, we took ages to get out but they had the barriers lifted and taking the tickets(we obviously had passes so okay). Stopped again at Maccy Ds this time in Stoke. Got back to Stoke Talke at about 11.30pm.

Didn’t take many Photos, yes you heard right less than 20 actually, but have many of Alton so didn’t need to.

We had a really good time rides as ever are excellent at Alton and the Fireworks were Awesome, well worth the effort to go.

DSC01615.jpg

DSC01638.jpg

DSC01625.jpg

DSC01623.jpg

DSC01618.jpg

DSC01617.jpg

DSC01611.jpg

Leigh will be posting a video soon fo the Fireworks

A-Kid

Giga Poster
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij7kgnk-NrQ[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6apSat40Z4[/youtube]