What's new

Alton Towers February Half Term

Montario

Roller Poster
I don't usually ask these sort of questions, I am thinking of making a trip to Alton Towers on the 17th February 2013 before the official opening season. I have never visited the park at that time before, hence my concern.... What are the crowds like comparatively to the actual season? Is it a hit and miss? Also, excluding the factor of weather conditions, will most of the major coasters other than Oblivion (for obvious reasons :wink: ) be available? I've checked their website, the information they give is still a little unclear to me. Thanks!

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
When I went, nothing was open. With only some of the rides open with no major rides, there isn't much to do to fill the day and the snow and ice they don't allow you to explore the towers or gardens to fill time. There's hardly any people there but they do crowd to any ride that's open meaning queues can get lengthy. When Air finnally opened around 2, it seemed like everyone in the park rushed to the ride and with one train operation the queue was long, cold and very slow.

I would reccomend going if you expect not to do much and want to take photos of the park in the snow. Otherwise, don't go.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, you tend to find Oblivion is open (though it may not be next year due to SW7 work), Spinball, the Sea Life, Farmyard and, erm, that's about it really.

It's very VERY cold, but they often do cheap nights in the hotel (like £25 per person kind of thing) which makes it a great way to experience the hotel and to sleep in the snow :oops:

Montario

Roller Poster
Well, erm thanks :oops: :p. I might go there just for the aesthetics and experience like Thekingin64 suggested, but i'll stick to your words to Furie. I guess it wouldn't hurt as i'll be there in March for SW7 anyway.

Rach

Giga Poster
From my experience, Alton in February half term is usually quite quiet with just families around.

2013's information has already been released and includes which rides are open and can be found here - http://www.altontowers.com/events/half-term/

Rides that are open next year are mainly the family stuff like Ice Age, Squirrel Nutty, Sealife, Spinball etc.. Air and Nemesis are the only major rides open this year! Like furie said, Oblivion usually is, but obviously given SW7, not next year.
From my experience, Nemesis can be walk on for most of the day. Air with a bit of a queue, but nothing more than half an hour.
Rita and 13 won't be open and nor will any of the flat rides (with the exception of Blade).

Obviously, no one can predict the weather spot on, but given it being February, cold is certainly on the forecast which could mean delays in opening up the rides.

When I've been before in half term, I've found it to be a good closed season fix and a chance to do some of the rides you don't always do!

Hope that helps!

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster
February Half Term this year was bitterly cold and pretty quiet. It was hit or miss whether many of the rides would open actually, as the temperature failed to rise above 5.c for the first few days.

It's worth a trip if you fancy a session on Nemesis or Air, but if you're looking for a big day out with lots to do, you might want to go during the main season.

Montario

Roller Poster
^Do you think it will be less busy this year due to Oblivion's closure? IF the weather is not too bad, I will be looking to get at least a session or two on Nemesis, Air and Sonic...while taking a few pictures and getting on some of the smaller attractions. Would that be realistic for the half term?

Jake

Strata Poster
I went in 2010 and they were running everything with snow still on the track in the morning...

25167_767160472151_7623384_n.jpg

25167_767160347401_4372211_n.jpg

Towers were obviously open too.

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
Montario said:
^Do you think it will be less busy this year due to Oblivion's closure? IF the weather is not too bad, I will be looking to get at least a session or two on Nemesis, Air and Sonic...while taking a few pictures and getting on some of the smaller attractions. Would that be realistic for the half term?

In half term you will easily get rides on Nemesis, Air and sonic if you wish! Whether Sub-Terra will have a big queue I'm not sure, but Nemesis won't be anything over 20 minutes really, and if it is the queue moves fairly quckly. Air might be about half an hour MAX, sonic might be a bit busier.

Overall really you shouldn't have any problems.

A

Anonymous

I like feb half term, cheap hotel rooms and a quiet park can make a good weekend.

With nemesis,air,RMT and spinball open there is a great selection of coasters.
There is also ice age,duel and hex for indoor attractions :) just a shame sub terra isn't open considering it is an indoor dark ride.