What's new

Alton Towers announces "The Enchanted Village"

EthC

Mega Poster
From TTF:

The Alton Towers Resort has today been given the go ahead to build all new accommodation ready for spring 2015. The Enchanted Village will contain 120 fairytale lodges, alongside 5 unique tree houses. Also featuring in the new area will be children’s play areas and a new themed restaurant featuring family entertainment.
The Staffordshire Moorlands Planning Committee met on Thursday 1st May, where it was recommended the plans be given approval, paving the way for the resort to begin making more detailed plans. The committee noted a number of factors in favour of the development including the benefits for local tourism and the fact that this new development will be ‘distinctive and unique’ , offering something different to what is currently available at the resort. There were some minor concerns regarding the environmental and conservation impact of the new development due to Alton Towers’ location within a conservation area alongside listed and historical buildings, concerns which are common with many applications within the resort. English Heritage Also voiced some reservations regarding the locations of the treehouses and the location of the lodges so close to the park.
Some conditions have been placed on the approval of the plans to preserve various historical features of the Deer Park which lies alongside the site. These include restoration/conservation of the Deer Park wall. The resort will be required to install sound insulation into the lodges, treehouses and restaurant to minimise any noise pollution emanating from the site. Noise limiters will also be required to be installed on any amplified sound systems used within the development. Any heavy building equipment will also be required to have its noise limited as much as possible during construction. The resort will be required to submit a detailed lighting plan to make sure there is minimal impact on nocturnal wildlife. Other conditions relate to the sufficient drainage of the new area, preservation of the ecology of the site, and ensuring that the construction of the area cause minimum disruption. The exact materials used for the outer facing walls of the buildings are also subject to approval before installation.
Located in the woodland next to the current Alton Towers Hotel, the new accommodation will have a fully immersive fairytale theme allowing guests the perfect opportunity to escape on their short break.

enchanted-village-03.jpg

enchanted-village-02.jpg

10253963_535972293180546_6303133564280676964_n.jpg

In a statement released today, Mark Kerrigan, development director at Alton Towers Resort comments:
“We are delighted to have been given the go-ahead on the Alton Towers Enchanted Village. The new accommodation will further enhance our position as a short break destination and also provide significant opportunities for the local area. We have worked incredibly hard in recent years to grow tourism in Staffordshire and are extremely excited about bringing this new concept to life over the coming months.”

This is great in my opinion, it looks great and it is nice to see Alton expand even more!

Ethan

Strata Poster
I'm staying at the hotel in two weeks today, they wouldn't have started construction yet by then would they?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Alton Towers announces "The Enchanted Village"

Ethan said:
I'm staying at the hotel in two weeks today, they wouldn't have started construction yet by then would they?

Look at the photos, they're almost done! ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

marc

CF Legend

They do look great.

Apart from food and drink what else is there to do there when the park shuts at 6pm?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
There's a cinema and bowling in Uttoxeter a close drive away. Plus they have a decent KFC ;)

Other than that, nothing to do at the "resort" but shove money at Merlin in food, drink or arcades :roll:

No doubt there'll be a blue screen when you arrive at your lodge so that you can have a memory of your stay in front ofa perfect looking bit of concept art that your lodge looks nothing like ;)

Rachel

Coaster MILF
FaceYourNemesis said:
This looks pretty fantastic, but knowing Alton/Merlin, the experience will no doubt be grossly overpriced.

This. It looks like it could be really nice if it does end up looking like those photos but I can never justify paying so much to stay in one of the Alton Towers hotels compared to the one of the local Travelodges.

Lofty

CF Legend
^ Not necessarily. Sometimes their concept art is pretty on the ball.

I can just imagine the price tag on an overnight stay in one of these, it'll be a lot more than Efteling's (their holiday village is cheaper than their hotel).

spicy

Giga Poster
Plans are available to view here: http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov ... PKID=51414

Looks really nice, love the idea of having a hot tub in the tree house.

They really need to add a mini 'Downtown Disney' style area ASAP if they are going to become a complete resort though as other than the evening show with a few people singing on the boat in ATH there is nothing to do in the evenings especially as they now close the water park early.

At least they are adding another restaurant to this enchanted village, still isn't enough though.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
One of those additions that looks grand but will never tempt me to stay over. I'd much rather kip on furie's floor when I visit Alton Towers and get strange looks from maxi-minor_furie all evening. It's nice to see the resort expanding but I'd rather money was spent on rides.

bla8989

Roller Poster
I really hope they target these as a cheaper accommodation. They really need to start doing more things in the evening to keep people entertained.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^ They'll be more expensive, probably considerably so. They're private lodges as opposed to a generic hotel room.

bla8989

Roller Poster
But they should sleep more so dividing the cost between a group etc. Wish they would drop there price of a room.