What's new

Alton Towers and Thorpe Park Rumoured To Get Lego Themed Areas For 2020

Now I may not have physical links or evidence (cause I am not on this closed FB group where it was spotted) but there was a rumour from a post on a closed Facebook group for Merlin Passholders, that Cloud Cuckoo Land and Angry Birds Land will be transformed into Lego themed areas for the 2020 season.

Alton Towers version, sounds great because even though we have the discovery centres, it is absolutely the CCL retheme we've been waiting for.

Thorpe Park...eh, 50/50! On one hand, at least Angry Birds Land looks to be on the way out, but on the other hand, IT IS NOT WHAT THEY NEED!!!!
At least is solves one problem now, rather than later (*cough* Slammer and Loggers Leap *cough*). But with Lego parks having great theming, then if its true, we'll have two fantastically themed family areas next year.

spicy

Giga Poster
What more concrete evidence do you need than a rumour posted on a closed FB group for Merlin Pass holders?

On the other hand this wouldn't be a terrible idea, Lego is a strong IP and they can cash in on Lego sales in the parks.

Wouldn't surprise me if they went full 'PA FerrariLand' at AT and advertised it as a second gate with an up charge to enter LEGOLAND Alton to ride the new Lego themed twirling toadstool and frog hopper. ?

What more concrete evidence do you need than a rumour posted on a closed FB group for Merlin Pass holders?

On the other hand this wouldn't be a terrible idea, Lego is a strong IP and they can cash in on Lego sales in the parks.

Wouldn't surprise me if they went full 'PA FerrariLand' at AT and advertised it as a second gate with an up charge to enter LEGOLAND Alton to ride the new Lego themed twirling toadstool and frog hopper. ?
Haha yh that's very possible at Towers ?

Someones obviously thought this is a thing after the blackstone take over.

Probably not worth reading into. It wouldn't be a bad move, but yeah.
Yh definitely. At least though, Cloud Cuckoo Land and Angry Birds Land (two dying areas) are being looked at for redevelopment. Also, this adds up to the rumour a while back that staff were spotted coming out of Flock n Shop at Angry Birds Land, starting to measure the Angry Birds 4D building at Thorpe.

And CCL needed work since Ice Age, Wobble World and Toadstool went out anyway

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Would work well at Towers, CCL has been a complete joke the last few years. Ideally they'd remove the dungeons and add a Lego themed boat ride to the area.

Not sure about Thorpe Park with Legoland being 20 mins up the road.

Would work well at Towers, CCL has been a complete joke the last few years. Ideally they'd remove the dungeons and add a Lego themed boat ride to the area.

Not sure about Thorpe Park with Legoland being 20 mins up the road.
All true. They won't remove the Dungeons now, but its definitely a future expansion. The thing I am worried about though, is they will expand through the Dungeons and then use the Haunted House theme with Hex (NO...JUST NO!!)

Matt N

CF Legend
Definitely wouldn't surprise me if CCL at Alton recieved a Lego theme, and I actually think it would work quite well, but Thorpe would surprise me, as:
a) Angry Birds Land only opened in 2014.
b) Lego is very much a family IP, and Thorpe is arguably the least family-orientated park in Britain. Although I suppose it would be a good move to increase Thorpe's family appeal.
c) As @FistedColossus said, a full-on Legoland theme park is very close by.

Still, I'm sure the areas will work well!

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
Alton, fine. Will work.

Thorpe, no, reason:
531e9673023964390ecee6890e992bb6.png

Why go to Thorpe for Lego...

Definitely wouldn't surprise me if CCL at Alton recieved a Lego theme, and I actually think it would work quite well, but Thorpe would surprise me, as:
a) Angry Birds Land only opened in 2014.
b) Lego is very much a family IP, and Thorpe is arguably the least family-orientated park in Britain. Although I suppose it would be a good move to increase Thorpe's family appeal.
c) As @FistedColossus said, a full-on Legoland theme park is very close by.

Still, I'm sure the areas will work well!
Yh. This will be better for Alton by a country mile

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Nope, definitely not. This is not happening.

1) Merlin don't like the idea of cloning attractions/IPs/ideas in their same-country brands (different countries is fine).
2) Lego have a completely different creative and production team to the theme parks. They're already pretty busy with all the other Lego stuff (including the Gardaland Lego Water Park), will they also be able to do two new areas to the same Lego quality?
3) Why would Thorpe get a Lego area with Legoland half an hour away?
4) This is clearly people seeing the recent buyout thing and putting 2 and 2 together to get 5. These things take a lot of prep, they're not going to happen overnight.
5) Towers did actually mull over the idea of adding a Lego area a few years back (to replace CCL). They changed their minds for whatever reason. They could change their mind again, but yeah.

CCL should be on the retheme list (and hopefully next year too). And Angry Birds Land could do with it too (guess it depends when the contract is up), but I don't think it's the worst of Thorpe's problems right now. So yeah, I expect the areas to be rethemed soon, but not too Lego.

Nope, definitely not. This is not happening.

1) Merlin don't like the idea of cloning attractions/IPs/ideas in their same-country brands (different countries is fine).
2) Lego have a completely different creative and production team to the theme parks. They're already pretty busy with all the other Lego stuff (including the Gardaland Lego Water Park), will they also be able to do two new areas to the same Lego quality?
3) Why would Thorpe get a Lego area with Legoland half an hour away?
4) This is clearly people seeing the recent buyout thing and putting 2 and 2 together to get 5. These things take a lot of prep, they're not going to happen overnight.
5) Towers did actually mull over the idea of adding a Lego area a few years back (to replace CCL). They changed their minds for whatever reason. They could change their mind again, but yeah.

CCL should be on the retheme list (and hopefully next year too). And Angry Birds Land could do with it too (guess it depends when the contract is up), but I don't think it's the worst of Thorpe's problems right now. So yeah, I expect the areas to be rethemed soon, but not too Lego.
Yh. Not the most important problem at Thorpe. At least Towers will benefit from it.

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
With the existence of Legoland, there is literally no reason for them to theme any area within another park to Lego.
"Yeah you can come to us and experience this small area themed to Lego, it's not like there's an entire theme park dedicated to it somewhere else or so..."

With the existence of Legoland, there is literally no reason for them to theme any area within another park to Lego.
"Yeah you can come to us and experience this small area themed to Lego, it's not like there's an entire theme park dedicated to it somewhere else or so..."
Yh it's better if it's just Alton Towers having it

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I could actually see this coming, with some slight modifications to the definition of "a LEGO-themed area". There will probably be a booth near the exit of both parks where you can pick up vouchers for half-price entry to LEGOland, one per guest. It will probably have a great big LEGO banner and maybe one of those man-sized minifigures made out of LEGO bricks, that ought to count as theming.