What's new

Alpine Coasters

Josh73

Giga Poster
I count them. If it's a cred, it's a coaster! :p But yeah, probably something about the brakes and such.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
So why are Mack Bobsleds counted? Some certainly do have upward type bits too. It's certainly an inconsistency and I've not really got an answer on this one.

Gazza

Giga Poster
^I just did a quick once over of all the Mack and Intamin bobs out there, and all of them have unassisted uphill sections at some point.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
So do some of the alpine coasters - hence the issue really.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Really? I thought they all were 100% downhill due to the risk of a rider stopping.
Happy to be corrected.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'm sure I saw one that had a bit of an incline. Even the slightest incline and it should surely count?

Plus, who said it has to coast upwards unassisted (okay, it was me, but I don't count :p )?

Inverse

Hyper Poster
The one I rode in Todtnau did too, if I remember correctly (which I might not).

I didn't count it, it was really good fun but it just didn't feel like a roller coaster. There's a lot to be said for not thinking about the technicality and science and just going on your own subjective opinion.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Plus, who said it has to coast upwards unassisted
Because IMO a coaster has to go both down and up, by coasting. Essentially it forms a dip/valley of sorts.
Can't just be downhill all the way, since a lot of other non coaster rides do just that.

That video I recently posted of that awsome bobsleigh in Austria has uphill sections
You mean this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqCkICXWdWI

I just re watched it and couldn't see a single such section.

The one I rode in Todtnau did too, if I remember correctly (which I might not).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShKg-obXjHw

From what I can see on this one is that it only has the usual 'waves', but these still maintain downhill gradient the whole time.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Gazza said:
Plus, who said it has to coast upwards unassisted
Because IMO a coaster has to go both down and up, by coasting. Essentially it forms a dip/valley of sorts.
Can't just be downhill all the way, since a lot of other non coaster rides do just that.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you but it does open doors for rides like Squirrel Nutty and Goldmine at PBB to be classed as coasters too ;)

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Here we go again...surely the intention of the ride manufacturer has to come into it.
Alpine 'coasters' as you call them were built as toboggans and so, in my opinion, were never meant to be known as coasters

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
These ones have tubular steel rail tracks though, so they're not really a toboggan...

Gazza

Giga Poster
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you but it does open doors for rides like Squirrel Nutty and Goldmine at PBB to be classed as coasters too ;)
Goldmine was shut when I was there. But squirrel nutty needs to be pedalled the whole time to actually make it move right?