What's new

Alpengeist intensity?

coastertim98

Roller Poster
I was wondering how intense and forceful is Alpengeist? I have read many people say that it is one of the most intense, if not the most, intense inverted coaster they have ever been on. But I have also heard it is forceless, but definitely not as many people who said it was intense. I have watched videos on it, and I can not imagine it being even close to forceless.

Anyways what do you guys think? It looks like an amazing coaster.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
It's a massive, fast paced ride. The loop and cobra roll will definitely make you gray out. Everything after the mid course brakes is fairly tame compared to the first half though.

A

Anonymous

Here are the vertical forces of Alpengeist:
Alpengeist.png

madhjsp

Giga Poster
^Where in the world do you find this stuff? Did you collect the data yourself?

It's definitely intense, at the data above would also indicate. The elements are all significantly larger than those of a typical inverted coaster, but you're going through them at much higher speed. So I'm not sure where those people who say it's forceless are coming from.

I'd also say that it doesn't completely die after the MCBR. The zero-g roll is pretty sweet, and the wing-over has a nice snap to it. The helix after that doesn't do much, but the ride's pretty much over at that point anyway.

Overall it's a great ride, and my favorite inverted coaster.

A

Anonymous

^ Me and my brother use an Accelerometer that he have built himself to measure rides. This particular log have my brother collected while in the US a few years ago... :)

Judging by that graph of Alpengeist (I haven't ridden it) and comparing it to other B&M inverts we have logs of, then I would say that it's mediocre at best when compared to intensity judged by the forces we have measured. The one that would take the crown as the most intense B&M invert, force wise, (that we have logs of) would be Pyrenees, since it pulls 4.5 g's instead of around 4 g's that the other do...

spicy

Giga Poster
I know its completely off-topic but do you have one of those graphs for Nemesis Loefet? I would be really interested in seeing it if you have :)

andrus

Giga Poster
^^According to your graph loefet Alpengeist pulls 4.8 g's as a maxiumum. What do you mean when you write that Pyrenees is the most forcefull since it pulls 4.5 g's? Do you only count it if the g's are sustained over a certain amount of time?

A

Anonymous

^^ Sorry no, we had a chance back in 2007 to ride Nemesis with the accelerometer but we didn't, the closest thing I have is Inferno from Ghosterforce last year, next year is the next trip to the UK scheduled, and then Nemesis and the Ultimate are two must rides with the accelerometer.

^ That is mostly due to noise (roughness of the ride, sensor noise, unit noise, etc.), at that point the noise go between 3.6 and 4.8 which averages out at around 4.2 g's, and that's the only point where Alpengeist really goes over 4 g's, where as Pyrenees, Black Mamba, Oroshi, Phaethon, etc. have more peaks over 4 g's.

We are in dire need of a new viewer to look at the data, but since none of us know any programming (apart from hardware based things) to make a new one then we are a bit stuck at the moment, some noise reduction algorithm is our most wanted feature at this point...

coastertim98

Roller Poster
Thanks for all your responses! Judging from videos and stuff, I completely agree. It does look like an amazing and intense ride. And I love the graph, thats so cool.

^So are you saying judging from the other inverted coasters, its not as intense as them? Or there is not as many spots over 4 g's? Cause it seems like Alpengeist sustains pretty high g's at some points. And judging only from videos (which is not always right) Alpengeist definitely seems like the more intense one out of the bunch, with the exception of Pyrenees.

Thanks again everyone!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I didn't find Alpengeist massively forceful to be honest. It was big though, impressive and fast. As much as the ride "dies off" at the end, I really enjoyed that part. The weaving and whooshing through the channels was great fun. I just really enjoyed the "ride experience" if you like, the whole package was just great fun. It wasn't as intense as other inverts and it wasn't as interactive as Mamba or Nemesis say, but it as a whole package I really enjoyed the ride.

Never had any kind of grey out issues, but I don't anyway, just a fun, exciting ride. So not particularly intense as the graph shows.

fishman100

Mega Poster
You don't even feel the first drop. And that's coming from me :p

The first row is the best; everywhere else is a headbanger and sucks.

Don't ride this while it rains, otherwise it may feel like hail. Ouch X(

Otherwise, it's pretty intense-I remember my friend yelling on the bottom of the drop (when we were heading into the Immelman) "MY FEET FEEL SO GOOD!" It kinda does, lol.

And don't be intimidated by the steepness of the 1st drop. I saw it and I said "holy crap!" but on the ride it was fine.

I didn't find this one to be as forceful as, say, Batman: the Ride, but it is pretty fast and furious.

I know people are probably gonna have a go but I was relatively underwhelmed by Alpengeist. If I'm being honest, a lot of the coasters at Busch were underwhelming which is a shame because I love the park. Alpengeist seemed like nothing but a blown up, bigger version of average inverted coasters you find at other parks, doing nothing out of the ordinary and no more forceful. Like Furie, I don't mind when inverts die out at the end because I enjoy that sensation so that wasn't an issue for me, I just thought that, although it's impressive to look at, it lacked a wow factor.

To give you more of an idea, I'd rank my B&M inverts like this:

Nemesis
Afterburn
La Vampire
Batman: the Ride- Six Flags St. Louis
Batman: the Ride- Six Flags Great America
Batman: the Ride- Six Flags Great Adventure
Great Bear
Nemesis Inferno
Alpengeist/Patriot
Raptor

They're all GOOD rides, Alpengeist just lacked any uniqueness and wow factor, as I said before. Same problem with Patriot and Raptor, both are decent rides with Patriot being one of the smoothest coasters I have ever been on with the most epic zero-G I will probably ever ride, and Raptor having a great first half, but there's nothing super special or memorable about all three of them. Alpengeist looks big and impressive, but rides average. It's kinda comparable to a guy having a big penis that LOOKS impressive, but in the end he doesn't really know how to use it to its full potential :p .