What's new

Accident at Cedar Point; guest struck by Raptor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
At approximately 5 p.m., a guest entered a restricted, fenced area of the Raptor roller coaster and was struck by the ride. Park safety officials responded immediately to the situation. Unfortunately the guest has passed away. Local authorities are on the scene conducting an investigation.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family at this time.

Source: their Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/cedarpoint?fref=nf

tomahawk

Strata Poster
This is why there are signs and people need to learn to read.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

lachlan

Mega Poster
There is a reason why restricted areas are restricted... I can only imagin how traumatic an experience it was for the riders of the train.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Ugh why are people so stupid?

Probably another BTR at SFOG, they probably lost a hat or something. If you lost something, wait until the end of the day when they collect dropped stuff.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm just glad that their thoughts and prayers are with the family of the idiot, instead of being with their lawyers.

Oh wait...

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Someone mentioned on FB the victim was mentally handicapped. Whether true or not, its worth considering. In which case, his guardians are the idiots.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Joey said:
Someone mentioned on FB the victim was mentally handicapped. Whether true or not, its worth considering. In which case, his guardians are the idiots.
I don't think this is the case, apparently he worked as a guidance counselor as per his family and there's no reference to being handicapped.
Report with family quotes
Sounds like he very stupidly thought he could grab his belongings and get out quickly, he took a chance and paid for it, hopefully others will learn from his mistake.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Although we all know it's pretty retarded to enter a restricted area, I think we should show a little respect and refrain from calling somebody who has died an idiot. We all take chances in life even after evaluating a risk, and sadly some don't work out.

The lesson here is don't enter a restricted area. Ever.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Well no he is an idiot, his selfishness cost him his life and could have potentially injured others and shocked them for life.
I feel sorry for his family, the people riding, the ride crew and Cedar Point, but not him.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Ethan

Strata Poster
We all make stupid choices but not all of them should result in death! Yes, I do lack sympathy for the guy as he jumped a fence, but like Ian said we all take risks (admittedly not so stupid ones though).

What I wished did happen was he climbed the fence and missed getting hit narrowly, that would have taught people (and him) a lesson without any death.

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah I get where Ian is coming from here.

Are you telling me you never sneak over a road when it's still red? Never stand over the yellow line at a train station?

It's dumb, but we all do stuff we shouldn't, thinking we'll be fine.

TilenB

Strata Poster
It's not the first time this has happened on an invert, right? I feel there are almost more B&M Inverts that had an accident of a similar sort than those that haven't (probably not true, but the fact is that these sort of accidents do happen too frequent)...

My dad once told me about a guy at his work, that has tried to retrieve sunglasses he lost riding Blue Tornado. Luckily the ride ops have noticed him and retrieved the glasses for him, preventing anything serious from happening...

Snoo

The Legend
Any time anyone breaks the rules, there is always a chance you could be hurt or killed but lets not put all of them on the same platform. Speeding 5 over or stepping over the line is not as dangerous as standing on the train tracks while the lights are blaring, the gates are coming down, and the horn is blaring.

When you break the rules THIS badly, Darwin has plucked you once again. While I do agree, I feel badly for the family as they have to endure the pain of not having their family member, I do not suffer fools. This man was a gigantic fool who gambled BIG for something so meaningless but lost.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
TilenB said:
It's not the first time this has happened on an invert, right?
SFOG's Batman had a similar incident seven years ago. I know there have been other incidents of workers being struck by coaster trains while walking underneath during operation.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUgg6nciY40[/youtube]​

So unfortunate and tragic. It is absolutely worth noting that should you lose an article while riding, just let the ride ops know. Every major amusement park does daily inspection and walk through of their rides, and returns all lost items to security. During my time at Cedar Point, I was able to reconnect a good deal of guests with their lost sunglasses, phones, wallets, etc.

steel

Mega Poster
Someone is dead, you can afford to show a little respect. We can talk about the importance of following safety protocol at amusement parks without being cruel to the victim. He made a bad decision and died a horrible death because of it, and that's the absolute extent of what we can say about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.