What's new

A Few Random Questions

metalhead7

Mega Poster
I have a few questions that revolve around a no limits project I'm working on...

1. Is Mystery Mine at Dollywood the only Eurofighter to have a twisting beyond vertical drop? and does that drop twist less than 90 degrees?

2. Is the first steep drop on Mystery Mine greater than 90 degrees? (In other words does this ride have two drops beyond vertical?)

3. Are there any coasters that have a beyond vertical rise? (Inversions don't count)

4. How much G-Forces can the brake run on a steel coaster inflict on a train? (Basically how fast can a steel fin brake system stop a ride?)

I know I could look all of this stuff up, but i figured you guys would be more than helpful :--D

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
1. No, all Eurofighters actually have a "beyond vertical" drop. They were the first roller coaster type to pioneer this type of drop.

2. No, only the second, main drop is beyond 90 degrees.

3. Technically, no. There are some roller coasters, such as Mauer Sohn X-Car's, that have a lift hill lead into an inversion, creating an interesting experience but not beyond a measurable 90 degrees.

4. However much is required to stop the train. Brake runs are designed in such a manner that the change in speed is comfortable for riders (not a slam on the brakes as it were), and riders will probably experience somewhere just under 1.5 lateral g-force in braking.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
1. Mystery Mines twisting drop is much less than 90°. If you look at this video at 03:14 you can see it turns maybe 45°, if that.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uALvK5DqiU[/youtube]

Hyde244 covered the rest to the extent of my knowledge. :D

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Eh, 3 out of 4 aint bad. :razz:

Sorry, on second read I misunderstood the first question. Yes, the drop does twist, 45 degrees as Hixee said, with a 95 degree drop at the initial plunge.

As for only, no others spring to mind, but you can search rcdb.com for other eurofighters to double check.

bergochdalbana

Mega Poster
1. Yes and Yes more like 45° as Hixee said, look at the construction pictures on RCDB.

2. Don't think so, but I haven't ridden it.

3. Depends on how you count the non-inverting loops on HRRR and Shock, but I can't think of any other than those that have something similar.

4. Magnetic of friction? Around up to 1.2 g's would be pretty normal.