What's new

A few questions about Saw

Martyn B

CF Legend
So, I rode it today for the first time. Beyond the pain, I think its a good coaster, especially the indoor section, love the lights, sounds and general theme, especially the guy with the squirting guts :p

Anywho, the first drop really caught my by surprise, and is probably the best part of the ride. Going under the swinging axes (or whatever they are) was pretty cool...is the drop actually vertical? Felt it to me.

Why are there no 'traps' in the queue line? I could have sworn I saw pics of a few of the traps in the queue, especially the crucifix, I definitely saw a pic of that, but there was nothing in there at all.

Last one.... why on earth is it so painful?

Ben

CF Legend
The first drop aint vertical, it's probably 75-80? You can sort of see here it's not quite vertical - http://rcdb.com/4162.htm?p=22308

The crucifix was there last year, just at the bottom of the staircase going into the station. It's a bit hidden in the dark and quite easy to miss though. The other traps are the barbed wire, which is at the top of those stairs, and the shotguns just as you enter the queue. Unless something has changed since last year?

Also, it just really, really hurts. I find it's about height/build though. I nearly die on it, as do people around my height/build, whereas my short, 5"7', fat ex thought it was fine.

Martyn B

CF Legend
^ I'm 6"3', and my partner is 5"3', and it both hurt us, lots. Which like I said, is a great shame as I think it is quite good. It was painful when I sat on the rightside, and near on murder on the left. Though in saying that she said it was 'ok' on the rightside.

It's a Gerstlauer. At Thorpe. It never stood a chance.

I've not ridden that many, but I have ridden 2 other Eurofighers that dont have this problem at all...

The crucifix was there last year, just at the bottom of the staircase going into the station. It's a bit hidden in the dark and quite easy to miss though. The other traps are the barbed wire, which is at the top of those stairs, and the shotguns just as you enter the queue. Unless something has changed since last year?

I'd like to see some pics of them again as I'm pretty certain none of them were there. And it wasn't very dark at the bottom of the stairs either.

andrus

Giga Poster
I'm glad it's not just me that has that opinion of the ride! I think it's a good layout, and I especially love the indoor section :) HOWEVER the restraints are waaay too tight and hurts like hell!! I don't see why they need to have them that tight? If the ride would've had normal restraints (or even better the new lap-bar-only eurofighter trains that look superb) it would've ranked a lot higher for me!

pitchnoir

Mega Poster
the traps are still their, if your not paying attention then you do tend to miss them.

The crucifix is by the fast track entrance and i was their a few days ago and it had not moved lol

and as stated before about the barbed wire and shotguns =)

Martyn B

CF Legend
^ Guess I'm just not paying attention then :p

And I never had a single problem with the restraints, thought they were fine.

andrus

Giga Poster
^Hmm ok, but what else do you find "painful" with the ride then? :? It's a smooth ride with smooth transitions, nothing painful about it except for the horrible restraints imo!

Martyn B

CF Legend
The train violently 'bumps' at the bottom of the big elements, and when sitting on the left, it is SO painful and becomes unbearable towards the end.

I'm sure someone else can back me up on this...

mouse

Giga Poster
Nope, I found it perfectly fine.
As for the traps, what about the guns on the roof at the entrance?
And I don't get what you are saying about the drop (probably due to my thickness :roll: ) it's beyond vertical.
BTW I love the restraints on Saw.

Ben

CF Legend
mouse said:
As for the traps, what about the guns on the roof at the entrance?

I said:
and the shotguns just as you enter the queue.

And I don't get what you are saying about the drop (probably due to my thickness :roll: ) it's beyond vertical.

Anywho, the first drop really caught my by surprise, and is probably the best part of the ride. Going under the swinging axes (or whatever they are) was pretty cool...is the drop actually vertical? Felt it to me.

The first drop. As in the drop that is FIRST. As in the part inside. As in under the swinging axes? As in the non-vertical one?

Jeez...

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Martyn B said:
The train violently 'bumps' at the bottom of the big elements, and when sitting on the left, it is SO painful and becomes unbearable towards the end.

I'm sure someone else can back me up on this...

I'll back you up Martyn to some extent. The bump at the bottom of the main drop has been there since before it opened - that for me is quite painful. The exits from the inversions I find are painful on the shoulders, I think the final inversion is all pain and it does seem to jolt as it makes it way around the track. I think the smoothest part of the ride (with the exception of the inside section) is the airtime hill.

The ride during its first season was tolerable, but all of last season it was unbearably painful - not been this season so not sure how it's riding this year, but yes, I know exactly what you're saying Martyn (I'm also 6ft 3, so I know that the restraints aren't the problem - they push into your shoulders a bit but I guess that's just height issues).

mouse

Giga Poster
Ben said:
The first drop. As in the drop that is FIRST. As in the part inside. As in under the swinging axes? As in the non-vertical one?

Jeez...

The CF definition for first drop:
  First Drop
The first downward decline (does not include pre-drops) after the lift hill or launch of a coaster.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
What Ben pointed out is NOT a pre-drop... It's a drop... And the first one in the ride...

Henceforth, it's the first drop... Regardless of a lack of lift hill/launch before hand...

Pre-drops are the random little 2ft things that B&M used to have on every ride... Indeed, both Colossus and Inferno have pre-drops after their lift hill...

mouse

Giga Poster
I'm not saying this is a pre-drop, just that it is not the first drop.
As it states, the first drop is the one after the lift/launch.

Colossus

Giga Poster
Martyn B said:
and when sitting on the left, it is SO painful and becomes unbearable towards the end

Now i have ridden this thing alot and never really experienced any discomfort, certainly not any pain? perhaps its because i always sit on furthest right and most of the turns are left turns, could it be its slightly less rough on the right hand side? Are some trains smoother then others? When i go in October iam going to try a different seat to see if i notice any difference? Martyn, try and get yourself on the right hand side next time to see if you notice any change?

Martyn B

CF Legend
^ I did say on the last page that I sat on the rightside too. I dont think it has anything to do with what direction the turns are, as the pain is at the bottom of each element.

It must be something to do with height/build.