What's new

360° POV on-ride videos?

Zac

Roller Poster
Now that youtube supports them, I'm interested to know why so few have been uploaded, and if anyone from CF is considering filming them? Personally, from the one I watched I found it quite fun, especially using an android phone (you just point the phone where you want to look), however I could only find the one. Also, what do other people think of them? This is the one I found (I didn't embed it because the 360 thingy doesn't work then)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
A part of the difficulty is that 360 cameras are still new to the game, and in early adoption. However, as we saw with Tempesto, they give a very cool view of the ride, and will hopefully see continued adoption.

I would personally love to see a 360 camera side-mounted onto a roller coaster, which could give a cool, unique side-chase view of the coaster train that you typically aren't able to see.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I'm still waiting on a proper 360 camera. I know which one, it just isn't available yet.

EthC

Mega Poster
Something like this from Giroptic would be fab :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgE120RX5Hs[/youtube]

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
360 cameras have their moments, just like 3D, but you can't beat a classic 2D fixed POV for a coaster imo.

The only problem I have with it is Google. I don't want to have to use Crome or use an Android phone. Until Google make it assessable to all browsers and devices, I'm not really that interested.

Zac

Roller Poster
Smithy said:
That Coaster POV one in the video above hurts my head.

Classic 2d for me please.
You have to open it in a window in chrome, the silly embedded one in this topic tries to fit it all on the screen at once, where as the actual one allows you to choose what you are looking at.

The main reason I am interested in this technology is for the POVs where you are unhappy with the camera position and want more freedom to look at the surroundings.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
While perhaps not coasters, these would work perfectly on indoor dark rides where there is a lot to see which normal POVs may miss. It would make watching it feel more natural since you do get to choose where you are looking as you would on the ride.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Could be "great" on a spinner too. If you have footage in all directions, you could creatively edit the POV to cancel out the spinning.

mouse

Giga Poster
Thekingin64 said:
While perhaps not coasters, these would work perfectly on indoor dark rides where there is a lot to see which normal POVs may miss. It would make watching it feel more natural since you do get to choose where you are looking as you would on the ride.
I'd rather just actually ride them...

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
^True, but if you're physically/geographically unable to (e.g. It is highly unlikely I'd get to go on any Japanese dark ride), it is a much better alternative than the usual straight ahead POVs.