What's new

2015 Thorpe Park coaster

elephant58

Hyper Poster
So, Thorpe are supposed to be receiving a coaster in 2015. I was just wondering why nothing's really been announced yet. SW6 was announced in 2008, opened 2 years later and both LC12 (opened 2 years later) and SW7 (opened 3 years later) were first announced in 2010. So why has nothing happened yet? Has it just not been announced yet, or is it not happening?

I don't mean to sound impatient, but I'd really appreciate an answer.

Thanks. :)

Casio

Mega Poster
I'm fairly sure they announced about a year ago that they won't be building a new coaster until 2017 due to lack of success of The Swarm

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Must we start this already? I think they said they wouldn't be building another until 'at least' 2016 so in reality that could mean whenever they get their arses in gear. But please, for the sake of everyone's happiness, can we not start speculating just yet... pleeeease.

Darren B

Giga Poster
It'll be sooner rather than later. I'd definitely expect a new coaster in 2016. New attractions bring in the guests and Thorpe's new coaster every 3 years has been a success. I don't see that The Swarm was a failure, they just built it in a year that was overshadowed by the Olympics. People wanted to spend time and money around that and those who didn't wanted to stay the hell away from London. Although The Swarm is a very mediocre ride people still have to visit the park to form that opinion. So I don't see how a lack of attendance can be blamed on Swarm?

Expect a beast in 2016 though, it'll be big, it'll be fast and it'll be full of airtime. If Thorpe don't built an airtime machine then they'll be **** idiots! Especially after flaunting pictures of B&M hypers and Intamin prefab's all over their social media.

jj23w

Hyper Poster
I thought it has said on a few websites that they said they were more worried about waterfront hotel / Thorpe shark hotel. The rumours were hinting for 2017 and I think they wanted to get a wooden rollercoaster or one of the newer concepts coming out I'd definitely like them to get another B&M I Love them. It's all in a different perspective I know Darren and Tom think they are mediocre because they have been on flug but seeing as this was my first winged coaster I loved it good experience favourite coaster I need to try flug and raptor first definitely want a hyper. Maybe a prefab like stealth but if its anything like colossus it can find a nice hole.

Darren B

Giga Poster
Flug is slightly better than The Swarm but it's still nothing special. I believe everyone on the Germany trip (myself, Tom, Neal, AJ and the Demon) all agreed to that.

I think the problem with Wing Coasters is that they're just not world beating coasters. I've yet to see a well travelled enthusiast that raves about one. The Parrot coaster looks like the best of the bunch but I'm basing that purely from the POV as I haven't yet read a review of it. Infact, I don't think a CFer has actually ridden it yet?

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
/ Just saw the pov it easily looks like the best wing coaster! Its significantly longer than The Swarm and the layout looks more fun and forceful than Gatekeeper.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
My opinion did indeed change again when I saw the Parrot coaster. It looks like a world class ride. I have not rode a wing coaster but I will be going Thorpe as soon as the summer holidays start so I can try The Swarm and the rest for the first time.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Darren B said:
The Parrot coaster looks like the best of the bunch but I'm basing that purely from the POV as I haven't yet read a review of it. Infact, I don't think a CFer has actually ridden it yet?

I'm going in about 3 weeks. I've only got Raptor and Swarm to compare it to though. Personally, I'm a sucker for a decent first drop, so for that alone I'm thinking Parrot Coaster will be my favourite of the three.

Darren B

Giga Poster
gavin said:
Darren B said:
The Parrot coaster looks like the best of the bunch but I'm basing that purely from the POV as I haven't yet read a review of it. Infact, I don't think a CFer has actually ridden it yet?

I'm going in about 3 weeks.

I was wondering who would manage it first out of you, Geography Dave and Lord Morton.

First non Merlin wing coaster, Gavin?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Yep!

The park looks really decent as well. Plus, it's a Chimelong park, who, from my experience, don't run their parks like a pack of absolute c**ts, unlike that other Chinese chain.

Darren B

Giga Poster
What stands out about the Parrot coaster is it looks like it does what a wing coaster SHOULD do. It holds back on inversions and focuses on interacting with the terrain and actually gives you the sensation of soaring over the landscape. Why do parks insist on packing in inversion after inversion on these things? Idiots!