What's new

2010 Baseball Season

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I can't believe it's already time for Opening Day on Sunday. So without a bunch of crap remarks from you Brits, this shall be the place to talk all things baseball for the 2010 season.

Go Yankees!
It's repeat time for #28, so start it off with a win at Fenway.

Snoo

The Legend
Go Tribe! Another year of trading away your best players for mediocre talent who never pans out! Bottom of the Central here we come!

RCF

Strata Poster
Let's go Boston!! (Sorry ECG and UC :wink: )

I think the Sox made a couple of good moves starting with the acquisition of John Lackey, and as of right now we really have a solid starting rotation (with Beckett, Lester, Lackey, Matsuzaka (sp?) and Bucholz) and our fielders look really good, I loved when we got Scutaro, and getting a new third baseman (to replace Lowell who ain't doing so well) with Adrian Beltre which builds up our fielders and moving Jacoby to left field so Mike Cameron can feel comfy in Center, and I think having VMart back at catcher will be better because Captain Tek isn't doing too good. I think this will be a good year in terms of batting, as David Ortiz has been doing a bit better and Francona says that he' made great progress after his slump last year, and we just overall have a good lineup. Playoffs? Maybe, we'll just have to see.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
LOL! Don't you live in Texas?! And you might want to check the spelling in your new location. :wink:
The BoSox might have made some good moves, but they'll have a tough time getting past the boys in pinstripes (as usual). And I hope they make the playoffs too, so we can send them packing again. :p

RCF

Strata Poster
Shut up that's a typo :lol:

and just because I live in Texas doesn't mean I can't be a Sox fan I always have been even when they sucked horribly. :p

The Pinstripes are tough but we won't know until the season starts.

P.S.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVC9b0K1Iis[/youtube]

:wink:

RCF

Strata Poster
^I agree with just about everything up there. This will be one of those years that you can never tell which way we're going to go. And I agree with the defense being our strongpoint this year, because we are lacking power and, like you said, the ability to hit the late game home run that could potentially make or break a game, or even the whole season for us. However, I think our offense this year will be more of a team that consistently hits doubles and singles. And it was a true mistake dropping off Bay. He was an essential asset to our lineup AND our field. He protected Ortiz, who's getting older and older, and he was just a good player on both sides of the ball, and played an important role these past couple of years.

I have a huge amount of respect for teams in the AL East, especially the Yankees, although I don't really like them, I still show them respect, and just every other team in general. Baltimore or Toronto I think could MAYBE (emphasis on the maybe) be one of those teams that surges late season and somehow makes the playoffs if, and only if, the Rays don't do well this season. Other than that, the way I se it in reality, evben though it's a bit early to judge since the season hasn't started yet, I know the Yanks and the Sox and right now my personal opinion, I see the Yanks winning the division by 6 or less games, with the Red Sox narrowly taking the Wild Card from the Rangers.

RCF

Strata Poster
Totally agree. The Rays look like they may do a repeat of two years ago when they came out of nowhere and were dominant. The East, to me, is probably going to be the most exciting division in the AL. However, NL, what with Halladay and Lee in it, will definitely be interesting to watch. No matter what happens, I think this is going to be a great season.

Season prediction according to Jayson Starkey: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/preview10/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=5049599

Thinks the Phillies win it all.

CMonster

Giga Poster
No, I became a Rays fan back when they were the Devil Rays and had purple in their jerseys. :lol:

Ever since Inaugural season, 1998 (even if I was 3 then :p )

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Can't believe CC fell apart & Marte literally threw the game away, but will someone please tell me why the Yankees have great numbers against Chan Ho Park but they pick him up to blow a game! What a frickin' embarrassment! :x

RCF

Strata Poster
I think it was a very well played game by both sides, and I really didn't expect the score to be 9-7 Sox after the Yanks went up 5-1 tbh. Must've been the rally cap..... :wink:

But still it was a very well played game by Sabathia until the 6th, and Beckett did bad for his first start but maybe today was just a bad day. Our relievers got the job done, especially Bard whom the Yankees pummeled last year. Just a real good game by both sides, and if this foreshadows the season to come then I think it'll be a good season for the whole MLB.

RCF

Strata Poster
Yeah I expected this one to be a pitcher's duel but it was just very sloppy in different ways for each team.

RCF

Strata Poster
Well hell that's what the topic's for right? :p

And I do agree on the double steal that was just hideous. Really really bad. And I did notice that Joba did look a little lost out there. They should never have put him as a starter, because I think it gave him a totally different mind set than when he was a reliever.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
UC said:
The game stays 7-7 if Marte doesn't throw a wild pitch and Posada catches the ball he should've had.
Not to pick on ya bud, but it was 2 wild pitches that that brought Youk home & I can't blame Posada for not catching either. The 2nd one was clearly supposed to be down & away again - not up & tight - so I can't say Posada should have had it. That's a very tough adjustment to make, even though he could have gotten to it.
I agree with all your other comments though, as I posted similarly on Facebook.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Of course I was wrong calling it a wide pitch & Posada should have caught it, but I don't blame him for the loss. It was Marte who threw the game away, along with plenty of help from Chan Ho Park.
At least Mets fans are smiling today.