What's new

2009 Mitch's Steel Coaster Poll

It doesn't much make sense to me because you can pick like, favourite spinning mouse but then it also gives you the option to pick say, Exterminator at Kennywood, which IS my favourite spinning mouse.

Kinda confusing but it's mostly accurate and I submitted mine. Not gonna write down which coasters I put where because I doubt many people care.

EDIT- And it also clumps all Batmans into one category but not Superman:UF's.. Sorta dumb.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I think Teststrecke should be listed separately since it's so different from other Looping Star/Silver Arrow coasters or have a Fav Double Loop to include Colossus the Fire Dragon.
Carolina Cobra is so much better than a typical Vekoma Boomerang that it should also be listed IMO.
I also agree with Taylor about the Superman Ultimate Flights. If you group all the Batman clones, then do the same with S:UF.

marc

CF Legend
If you group them does it count less?

Say I have Khan and EGF as number 1 and I put them both down as 1 will this effect the poll?

I still do not like this only being able to vote for one spinning coaster, Spinball and Fury are totally different yet Nemo has its own vote.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Ugh, why cant they just have a list of coasters... much simpler. Half my coasters arn't even on there?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'm glad half my coasters aren't on there. They'd have all just clogged up the bottom of my list and made it a real chore to find the coasters that are actually any good all.

Woe is me, Beastie isn't there - or Mercury Mega Coaster :roll:

Gazza

Giga Poster
And it also clumps all Batmans into one category but not Superman:UF's.. Sorta dumb.

I still do not like this only being able to vote for one spinning coaster, Spinball and Fury are totally different yet Nemo has its own vote.

Apparently there a limited spots on the poll for coasters or else it becomes to heavy to process.

That said, I think it would be fairer and more meaningful if the spots for the various S:UFs were given over to the Mauer Sohne spinners...Nobody cares where SFGAdvs flyer ranks in comparison to the one SFGAm, but I'm pretty sure people are interested in where Spinball sits compared to Fury, because they are completely different.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, that's true mind :)

Also, missed the Jet Coaster thing - can't you add it manually to your ballot?

marc

CF Legend
Completed mine using the grouping way, it really did not take that long as half of them are not on the list.

As Furie said due to the list being done the way it is the good coasters are listed and the ones that dont really matter are not.

But I do think Spinball and Fury should be listed as Nemo and Wingars is, as well as Space Mountain and BTM. Just my view.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I just rated PMBO above Nemesis and Ultimate. If you wish to slap me, I guess you can form a queue.

The only thing I have issues with is Dragon's Fury not being separated. I just don't get that. It's like grouping Nemesis with BTR. Clearly Nemesis and the rest of the inverts aren't because they are considered good enough on their own - so why not Fury, which is so renowned? Makes no sense. Spinball I can sort of understand not being there, as it's NOT renowned. And okay, the poll should cater to differing opinions, but the entire point of a poll is to show the opinion of majority.

I'm glad loads of coasters I've ridden aren't there. Because, all the "meh" things I have real trouble ordering.

Ben

CF Legend
Wasn't Fury given its own spot one year? Or am I imagining that it came in at like, 30, and everyone blamed the TPR UK trip...?

marc

CF Legend
So why have they included Cobra, the one in Tripsdrill and the one in Denmark. They are all clones so therefore they should just have the 1 vote.

I grouped mine in the end so EGF, Black Mamba, Nemesis, Khan and Kumba all get a 1. They are coasters I would ride again and again.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Fury is gash and should be lumped in with all the other spinners. Good point about Cobra et al.

It's all a learning process I'm sure :)

A

Anonymous

Yeah, the groupings are a bit whack, if they are identical in the layout then it's fine by me (standard SLC's, BMTR's, etc, but when several coaster of different layouts, manufacturers then it gets a bit whack...
Since when you do that then why isn't all the Intamin Megas in a single group or the Mega-Lites.

I still managed to get a list going, here is the top 10:

1 Favorite Wood Coaster
2 Eagle's Fortress
3 Dodonpa
4 Blue Fire Megacoaster
5 Tranan
6 Goliath (WW)
7 Kawasemi / Piraten
8 Pyrenees
9 Tele2 Insane
10 Eejanaika

And bottom 5:

5 Tornado (Bakken)
4 Drachenritt
3 Tsunami (M&D)
2 G Force
1 Cobra (Friheden)

Brookes

Giga Poster
I've just done mine, found it quite hard to rate all of them as putting so many in an order is quite hard. I'm glad some of them are grouped or it would be even harder, but there is a few things that have been missed off.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Ben said:
Wasn't Fury given its own spot one year? Or am I imagining that it came in at like, 30, and everyone blamed the TPR UK trip...?
Year before last, I think. It was like.. 36 ish. Which is like, where it should be.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Joey said:
Year before last, I think. It was like.. 36 ish. Which is like, where it should be.

If you have a coaster count of 37 (assuming you've been on Furious Baco) :p

I don't think any of the spinners hit my top 100

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
My major complaint with the groupings, as it was last year, is the loop/screw category. There are SO many variations that it's ridiculous to put them all together.