What's new

18 year old Killed on Inferno in Terra Mitica

Status
Not open for further replies.

EthC

Mega Poster
A 18 year old has died on Monday at five o'clock in the afternoon at the amusement park Terra Mitica, Benidorm, to fly out of attraction 'Inferno', after failing harness protection and the victim sank.

As confirmed by the Security council ELMUNDO.es Benidorm, José Marcet, the now deceased is a 18 year old, of Icelandic origin, who was on holiday with her parents and a friend. They were staying in Torrevieja and had decided to spend a day at the amusement park in Benidorm.

Apparently, the young man has been thrown of Attraction "Inferno" and has precipitated to the ground, suffering multiple fractures and serious injuries.

The roller coaster in which is registered the event is included in the Rome area, was opened in 2007 and provides up to 360 degrees turns. It speeds up to 60 miles per hour are reached.

Although until the scene has shifted a unit of Urgent Medical Assistance Service (SAMU), although the doctors have been unable to save the life of the young.

The Scientific Police have opened an investigation to determine what went wrong and the police proceeded to seal the attraction.

Meanwhile, the High Court of Justice of the Valencian Community (TSJCV) reported that the trial court number 2 in Benidorm has opened a cause for the death of this person. Judge expected in the coming days the police report after which decide on the measures it deems necessary to find out what happened.

Source: http://www.elmundo.es/comunidad-valenci ... b45b5.html

marc

CF Legend
That's awful news did not think it would ever happen that a restraint would do this.

Intamin yet again, yes could be ride ops fault but this should just never happen.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Wow. Awful to hear.

I am going there on Wednesday. Just found out as I got to the hotel. Guess that's one cred I won't be riding then.

marc

CF Legend
I would imagine all the same ride types will now be shut until they work out what went wrong.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
How horrible :(

Bet that means Grona Land's will be shut for the live now.

I really hope it isn't Intamin's fault but they really do seem to have a checkered history

Pierre

Strata Poster
That's a disgrace what the Mirror have done. The quality of the video is piss poor, they've butchered the length of it and put an incorrect link to CF's YouTube channel...

Also it's sad to see about this. Wonder if it was the usual 'item of clothing trapped in harness' excuse. Intamins reliability issues are getting worrying though.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Wasn't too keen on the restraints when I was there back in May but not to the extent I could imagine them failing in such a horrible way (assuming that's what happened).

Only safety related thing I did notice was that the e-stop was easily within touching distance of the queueline.

Smithy

Strata Poster
"The park, along its 14 years of operation, has had an unblemished safety," explains the direction of the park, which states that the daily maintenance personnel check the correct operation of the attraction.

This attraction also has official certification that guarantees optimal performance with optimal security and is carried out by a competent external company safety of attractions that conducts periodic reviews of it.

"Each of these reviews is recorded in internal company documents which have been delivered to the judicial police," says Terra Mitica on 'Inferno', a rollercoaster of steel 4D in which users take turns 360 degrees and which speeds up to 60 kilometers per hour are achieved.

Darren B

Giga Poster
Pretty shocking to hear that it's a restraint failure that's led to the death of the lad.

All the recent deaths on coasters have pretty much been down to lap bar's not being in the correct position. To think that us as enthusiasts think our safety is assured as we're sensible enough to know when the restraint is in the correct position. It's worrying to know that restraint failures do happen, and on modern rides. Shocking!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Thinking about that ride type, the outward pressure on those restraints must be immense, more so than many other types of rides. Even huge airtime machines wouldn't have that kind of strain since the forces are going upwards, rather than outwards and against the locking mechanism.

BBH

Giga Poster
Wow. Shocked to hear that it was an actual restraint failure. Intamin's safety record isn't the brightest but regardless of the company this should serve as a red flag to the others of its model.

What's almost more concerning is that this looks to have the most tame layout of the bunch (along with Kirnu) so the forces against the restraints--although, as Gavin pointed out, still immense--wouldn't be as great as the ones on Insane and GL:FF. My thoughts are with the kid's family.

Dapalm

Mega Poster
Don't believe what newspaper say, it is still unknown if the restraint opened. I have been reading all the spanish newspaper and everyone has its own story. Anyway, it's always sad to see this kind of things happening. I'll keep you informed if I read/hear something here in Spain.

EthC

Mega Poster
Reports are coming around different sites that all Intamin ZacSpins, are going to be shut until the investigation is complete and a solution is found, also reading other sites Furius Baco was closed all day as well today although I don't know if thats due to the restraint snapping last year or its just Baco being Baco. But all zacspins are now closed.

spicy

Giga Poster
Wow, this is bad. How many times have Intamin restraints failed now?

Ones I can think of are Superman:RoS, Perilous Plunge and Hydro at Oakwood. I think that there are more.

Then there was the recent derailing of Expedition GeForce, the girls feet being cut off by an Intamin drop tower, the video of the cable snapping on Xcelerator and causing major damage to the train with the front two being very lucky to only have minor injuries.

Thats just off the top of my head and only in the last decade. Yet I don't believe there has ever been a case of a restraint failing on a B&M. That isn't a coincidence.

Darren B

Giga Poster
^Someone nosedived off Bizarro (SFNE) to their death too. And the other Superman Mega at SFA chucked a fat chap out too, but he survived.

They're getting a pretty bad reputation.

marc

CF Legend
Everyone always forgets why we have the horrid trains on colossus at Thorpe.

Someone got their foot hurt by sticking out the train when entering the station. So they changed the design.

Status
Not open for further replies.