What's new

£150 Million on the lottery, would you invest in themeparks?

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Whilst at work i always have day dreams about winning the lottery and what i'd do with the money. I think i'd try invest roughly £30 million into a lesser known UK park (lightwater valley, flamingo land, Oakwood ect) get an RMC beast built and market the hell out of it through TV advertising ect. I think a large investment like this would really shake up the themepark industry in the UK and help get rid of this monopoly that merlin control.

What would you do with £150 million?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: £150 Million on the lottery, would you invest in themepa

Whatever the **** I wanted!

Martyn B

CF Legend

Yeah if I won that much I'd certainly look into purchasing a small park.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

I'd probably go down the investment route rather than try to build my own park from scratch.

What I would certainly do is buy myself a lovely big house and put a few of my favourite flat rides in it (Moser drop towers <3) and build a couple of small, crappy creds and only let certain people on them.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

Ian said:
build a couple of small, crappy creds and only let certain people on them.

Hahaha you spiteful git <3

Hmmm, this is a good one though. Would I invest? Yes, probably. Would I start from scratch? No. Too risky. A Big Apple in my back garden would be pleasurable (yes, that was intended).

To be honest, I'd rather spend the money travelling the world, seeing the sights, ticking of my bucket list, getting creds that rival even Jerry, Gavin and RollerMonkey ;). Winning that sort of cash you'd never have to work again, neither would your kids, grandkids or great grandkids. I'd buy a nice house, not necessarily 200 rooms, but a decent size house to live in when I am older.

Smithy

Strata Poster

I'd probably buy Flamingo Land a woodie.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Just thought, a Golden Horse spinner apparently only costs around £250,000. I'd line 10 up side-by-side and let nobody on them.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster

I'd get a huge house with a big garden for a coaster or two.

I'd also buy lots of cars and buy Cambridge United.

ThomVD

Giga Poster

I would also travel the world rather than investing in theme parks.

However, I wouldn't stop working. To do nothing productive in my life would depress me greatly. I definitely would only get a job that I love though, even if it pays crappy. I might buy a decently sized house, but I wouldn't get a big villa either. I don't see the point to be honest.

I would actually prefer to win €100,000 rather than millions. I'm content with my life, and becoming so rich that it completely changes my life is not what I'm dreaming about right now. I feel like it would inevitably damage the relationship with my current friends as well.

You get used to everything in life, even to being a millionaire.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

I'd buy a Go-Gator and start counting "relocations". Then I'd move it daily to different parts of the garden and reclaim it until I had thousands on my count, all the same Go-Gator - just to prove a point :p

Or I'd stick it in the bank, live off the interest and do the same as Gavin (whatever the **** I want) :)

I'd be tempted to set up or invest in a park, but it's a massive amount of work and stress and the idea of winning the lottery is to enjoy life! I'd just travel enjoying everyone else's parks and coasters - but I would be the world's worst fast passer :p

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016

I agree i wouldnt buy a park, that would just result in stress but i think i'd definitely aim to invest a large sum for a share in a park. That way you could ensure that your investment is used on decent rides and getting the park to the highest possible standard whilst seeing the general public lap it up and return your investment (in an ideal world). Would anyone go for something big say a £30 million giga coaster on private land? I can only assume running costs, maintenance, daily checks, operations would be astronomical but would it really be that bad if you are sitting on this incredible amount of money? Could just sell it to another park for cheap or scrap when you get bored!

Rachel

Coaster MILF

I wouldn't invest but as some others have said i'd use the money to travel the world, buy some nice houses for me and my family and just live a comfortable life.

I'd probably consider starting some sort of business to keep myself busy, but it wouldn't involve anything theme park related.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

I have one word for you.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSxihhBzCjk[/youtube]

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

If I won that sort of money i'd buy a big house with massive grounds, then build some flats and my very own personal Shambhala! Then travel world of course <3

Casio

Mega Poster

I'd definitely try to start my own park. "Ooh it's too risky!" So what? What's the worst that can happen? You go back to square one. (Ok, yes, you could accumulate masses of debt). Obviously I know nothing about business, but with a good business plan, a good plot of workable land and a good ride plan, I reckon £150m would get other investors interested and could do some damage in the UK market. Whatever the risks, real life Roller Coaster Tycoon would be much more appealing to me than just handing the cash to another park and saying "build a ride I like".

But, yes, I'll come crawling back to you when I've lost all of mine :--D

CanobieFan

Strata Poster

If I had piles of cash and could realistically do so... I'd like to buy out Canobie Lake and as many of the houses around the park as I could. I wouldn't go crazy with new rides and coasters. If anything I'd build a smaller sized onsite hotel/lodge with an indoor water park and I'd go back to un-do most of the screw ups (IMO) the park has undergone in the last few years (outside of adding Untamed!) I'd like to add more retro / classic rides and bring it back to how it felt in the early 90's, while retaining some of the more modern rides and still adding things along the lines of current trends. I'd also like to fight with the city for an increased maximum height limit within the park. Try and get it up to at least 100ft.

Mike

Giga Poster

I don't think so.

The whole point of doing the lottery for me is so you'll never have to work again if you win.
I wouldn't want to become involved in business!

Sythe

Mega Poster

No... I would go to all the amusement parks in the world 50 times of course!

sparky2u

Mega Poster

Since there is such a shortage of wooden coasters in England:

Every single park in England will get a wooden coaster.

Thorpe Park a wooden coaster like "Troy" as it needs one.

Paultons Park will have a Junior woodie like "Wooden Warrior"

Open a water park / spa both indoors & out with every slide from "Proslides" & "Whitewater"

Lightwater Valley will get a Hyper B&M with huge airtime, tunnels, LED lights n Dry Ice, splash pool.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

More than likely I would throw 90% into some really good investment accounts, build up my wealth even more so, and then 20 years later after I increase it exponentially, I may buy a large minority share of a public company, using another large percentage to buy into a baseball team or football team.