What's new

Small News From The Theme Park Industry

Efteling will be investing 8 million euros in renovating their river rapids ride Piraña over the winter months, including adding new theming elements such as more rockwork around the course and tons of new water effects. The renovation will also allow the park to repair cracks in the concrete trough, replace all four water pumps, and ensure the ride uses its water more sustainably and reliably. The work is expected to be completed in Spring 2024.

View attachment 28167
View attachment 28168
View attachment 28169

Piraña reopened in late June with these new theming elements and effects, as well as with an exclusive gift shop called 'Cascada'

1721635559107.png
1721635575028.png
1721635595890.png
index.php

index.php

1721635659617.png

Wicker Man fed the flames a bit too hard and has had a minor fire.
Now THAT is immersion 🤣

I do wonder what's caused this though...as the fire on the theming structure doesn't go anywhere near the track.
Perhaps a guest has dropped something?

Thankfully, it appears as though there was no drastic damage based on that image. Hopefully the fallout of this shouldn’t take too long to rectify!

Perhaps a guest was involved. Was there anyone around the coaster that looked particularly ‘occupied’ / ‘like an arsonist’?

Regardless… I, for one, will not stoop to pointing fingers or feed further speculation.

q2DpGAp.jpeg

The Sun has published an article on this incident: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/29498753/alton-towers-fire-wicker-man/

Interestingly, the cause is thought to be a “foreign object” according to an Alton Towers spokesperson… could this mean that a guest dropped something flammable on the track or something?

It will also be “closed until further notice” while the park carries out “essential maintenance”, apparently… whether that means a day, a week, or longer is anyone’s guess.

It’s a relief that this seemingly didn’t cause any major damage. I am slightly disappointed that this probably means that my favourite ride on park will be closed for my visit on Sunday, but I did get 2 rides on it in March, one of which was an unexpected night ride, so I can’t really complain too much!

Vape seems to be the primary suspect from what I'm gathering. Pointless fashion accessories, they should be banned. See far more underage/inconsiderate people armed with them than you do actually cigs these days.
I mean, I’ve been vaping for 13 years… After 12 years of smoking… I no longer have any breathing difficulties when exercising… For some of us they’re more than just a fashion accessory, they’re life saving.

They do need to ban disposables and semi disposables though. Bad for the environment, cheaply made so more likely to be a fire hazard, and they attract casuals and kids who wouldn’t otherwise be smoking. But this ban is already going through, so it will be sorted soon, hopefully.

And what do you mean inconsiderate? You do know it’s not smoke right? No risk to you whatsoever… Just because you don’t ‘like’ something, doesn’t mean those that do are inconsiderate. Do you ask the park not to use smoke effects too? Since it’s the same tech and broadly the same ingredients, on a much bigger scale…

We’ve had this debate before, but the day they stop asking me to stand with smokers, inhaling their second hand smoke, and give us separate vaping areas, which don’t contradict the whole ‘healthier option’ point of vaping, is the day I use a designated area. Drayton did this years ago.

And yes, I also vape directly outside the glass fish tanks, designed for smokers, in European Airports… Can’t wait for them to, one day, try and arrest me for not getting into a glass box full of smoke!!! Usually the police / security just pretend they haven’t seen me though. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I guess the actual law really does trump opinion and policy.

As for this incident, vape or phone was my suspicion too, hence my post earlier. Though it could just as easily happen with a mobile, they also have lithium batteries which don’t take too well to being run over!!! Can’t ban phones from the park though. Perhaps they need to tighten up on loose articles on the rides altogether!!!

BLACKPOOL PLEASURE BEACH to receive an Intamin Gyro Swing!

Please post all further discussions here to avoid duplication:

Take of this what you will, but someone with an RMC high vis jacket has been spotted at Oakwood:
What do we reckon to this? Is this RMC doing work at Oakwood in some form, or an enthusiast prank? I'm thinking the latter, but I'm open to surprises...
Gravity Group $2million re-track project has just been undertaken last year, so no, RMC is not happening. Good joke though.

Some (ie my joggers) of the official merch printing falls apart in just one wash so dry clean it only.