What's new

What does the future hold for rapids rides in the UK?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. In the Project Horizon thread, I seem to remember a recent debate ensuing about the feasibility of new water rides in the UK. As noted in that thread, one type of water ride that has grown particularly contentious in the UK in recent years are rapids rides.

Following the incident on Splash Canyon at Drayton Manor in 2017, the safety of these attractions was brought into question by the HSE and the parks operating them. As such, most water effects were removed, the prevalence of staff around the rides increased, and safeguards such as doors and higher backs were added onto the boats.

This was not where the matter ended, however. The HSE released the results of their inquest into the Drayton Manor incident in 2021, and this inquest contained a number of safety measures for parks to implement on their rapids rides long term. These suggestions included the things already mentioned above, but it should be noted that this HSE inquest also emphasised the need to make riders’ risk of death from drowning very clear. The HSE said that parks needed to install frequent signage around the rides and their queues warning of the risk of drowning, and platform staff also became required to perform a strongly gesticulated safety spiel to each group talking about the risk of drowning before the ride. This subsequently meant that an emphasis on risk education and incident aversion was substantially amplified on UK rapids rides for 2022, and any notion of effects returning seemed to be put on the back burner, in the short term at least.

Increasingly, some enthusiasts are beginning to argue that the situation with rapids rides in Britain is untenable. Many say that the new safety measures are so overbearing that they almost make rapids rides not worth operating anymore. I'm hearing terms like "glorified lazy river" and "boring" thrown around to describe many rapids rides in the UK these days, and even Adventure Cove River Rapids at Drayton Manor, which was newly rethemed for 2021 in accordance with these guidelines, does not exactly buck the trend effects-wise compared to other UK rapids rides.

As such, questions are beginning to be asked about the long term future of rapids rides in the UK. People are wondering whether this type of attraction continues to be a viable fit for the UK theme park industry given how much circumstances have changed since many UK rapids rides were first built. With this in my mind, my question to you today is; in your opinion, what does the future hold for rapids rides in the UK?

Personally, I don't think revered rapids rides being permanently consigned to history in the UK is necessarily a foregone conclusion, but I do feel that getting a revered rapids ride into the UK again would likely require the construction of a brand new one. To have special effects put back onto a UK rapids ride, I think seatbelts would have to be included, and to justify those, I think you'd need to design a rapids ride very differently to how any of the current UK rapids rides are designed. This is because on the current UK rapids rides, the risk of the boat capsizing, relative to the risk of someone coming out, is too high for seatbelts to exist. Whereas on a more thrilling rapids ride with larger boats, the risk of coming out is higher and seatbelts are therefore justified. I do think a new rapids ride could well be built in the UK at some point with some of these slightly more thrilling features, but I'll admit that I'm not sure if other types of water ride, such as a water coaster or new-gen log flume, might be more feasible for the modern UK market.

But what do you guys think? What do you feel that the future holds for rapids rides in the UK?

Niles

Giga Poster
Interesting question, i think sadly we are unlikely to see a new decent rapids anytime soon if at all, i can see some of these ones popping up at cheaper parks though.
cs_wild-river-rafting-1.jpg

There are only so many parks in the UK that could even be considered for a new gen rapids but i see a problem for all of them.

Parks that already have a rapids:
  • Alton Towers
  • Thorpe Park
  • Legoland
  • Drayton
Legolands is the newest and wont be going anywhere, Drayton have revamped theirs so its safe. Altons and Thorpes are old, but i dont see them revamping them, all that space could be used for something much more fun in both parks when the rides reach the end of their service life's.

Parks that lack budget or theming ability:
  • Blackpool
  • Flamingo Land
  • Oakwood
  • Pleasurewood Hills
If your going to get one of these new gen rapids you have to go all out to bring it together (Infinity falls or Mystic river). Fitting it in blackpool would be hard but i cannot see them theming it to much and they have Valhalla. With Flamingo i just dont see them spending the cash for it and they dont theme really. With Oakwood and Pleasurewood Hills they have the space but its just not happening.

🤔Hummmmm parks:
  • Chessington
  • Paultons
Chessington is the most likely with the money of Merlin and i can see one really working well for them, they could do a great theme and a new water ride could be argued as a great investment. However im not sure where they could put it, with the space they take up could that space be better used and fit more attractions?

Paultons have the theming to make one of these look fantastic, while cost might be high i think they are on the verge of rides like this being viable options. But space might be a pain, also im for them getting a log flume next (I was heavily pushing one in their survey😅) i feel like it would be a better fit, also im not sure they need the capacity of a big rapids brings yet.

So i dont think we will see new ones at parks that dont have them and those that do i think will replace them with something different, they are expensive to run, take up space and i think there are more interesting water attraction options, with them also not being seen as the safest rides by the gp i find a next gen rapids sadly unlikely.

Sandman

Giga Poster
I don't necessarily see any being installed soon, however, I reckon Paultons could always opt for a Hafema wild raft in the future. The ones at Toverland and Tripsdrill are fairly tame, and that would likely suit the demographic at Paultons. I'm pretty sure Hafema promote the freedom to customise, so it could even be the case that a belt or something could be implemented in the design.

Either way, I highly doubt we'll see a rapids ride at any other park in the UK... if anything we'll probably see the removal of some within the next decade.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Interesting question, i think sadly we are unlikely to see a new decent rapids anytime soon if at all, i can see some of these ones popping up at cheaper parks though.
View attachment 21806

There are only so many parks in the UK that could even be considered for a new gen rapids but i see a problem for all of them.

Parks that already have a rapids:
  • Alton Towers
  • Thorpe Park
  • Legoland
  • Drayton
Legolands is the newest and wont be going anywhere, Drayton have revamped theirs so its safe. Altons and Thorpes are old, but i dont see them revamping them, all that space could be used for something much more fun in both parks when the rides reach the end of their service life's.

Parks that lack budget or theming ability:
  • Blackpool
  • Flamingo Land
  • Oakwood
  • Pleasurewood Hills
If your going to get one of these new gen rapids you have to go all out to bring it together (Infinity falls or Mystic river). Fitting it in blackpool would be hard but i cannot see them theming it to much and they have Valhalla. With Flamingo i just dont see them spending the cash for it and they dont theme really. With Oakwood and Pleasurewood Hills they have the space but its just not happening.

🤔Hummmmm parks:
  • Chessington
  • Paultons
Chessington is the most likely with the money of Merlin and i can see one really working well for them, they could do a great theme and a new water ride could be argued as a great investment. However im not sure where they could put it, with the space they take up could that space be better used and fit more attractions?

Paultons have the theming to make one of these look fantastic, while cost might be high i think they are on the verge of rides like this being viable options. But space might be a pain, also im for them getting a log flume next (I was heavily pushing one in their survey😅) i feel like it would be a better fit, also im not sure they need the capacity of a big rapids brings yet.

So i dont think we will see new ones at parks that dont have them and those that do i think will replace them with something different, they are expensive to run, take up space and i think there are more interesting water attraction options, with them also not being seen as the safest rides by the gp i find a next gen rapids sadly unlikely.
Both Alton Tower and Thorpe have to at least be considering replacing their rapids in the next ten years. Nothing to say they will replace them with another rapids of course, but I'd like to think they will, given the popularity of the ride type in the summer, even after all these years of neglect. Of course they could always just go with a full refurb, which imo, would be just as good.

Drayton have just refurbed their rapids entirely, so little hope there.

Blackpool have the budget, but I doubt they have the desire.

Chessington is unlikely to get one in the next few years, unless Merlin are seriously increasing capex spend and frequency. But they're a good shout in the mid term.

Paulton's are probably a good shout too. I don't 'think' budget is an issue, given recent investments. But I, like you, don't really know for sure.

I'd love to know what a modern rapids costs. They never shout about the total like they do with coasters, it's hard to find any solid figures. However I can find several sources that claim construction itself is by far the biggest expense, with the ride systems themselves being relatively affordable. This is great, if true, for potential Thorpe and AT refurbs / rebuilds, as they could certainly make use of their current troughs within any designs.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Increasingly, some enthusiasts are beginning to argue that the situation with rapids rides in Britain is untenable. Many say that the new safety measures are so overbearing that they almost make rapids rides not worth operating anymore. I'm hearing terms like "glorified lazy river" and "boring" thrown around to describe many rapids rides in the UK these days, and even Adventure Cove River Rapids at Drayton Manor, which was newly rethemed for 2021 in accordance with these guidelines, does not exactly buck the trend effects-wise compared to other UK rapids rides.
This underpins something I've found fascinating about the UK market - you guys have A LOT of river rapids, and are far more willing to ride in non-swimwear than us Americans. We just don't like being as wet in street clothes. 😅

By comparison, river rapids feel in a new stride here stateside, if only because we are building them more aggressive, higher drops, bigger splashes, etc. If anything, embracing as an ever-more pinnacle water attraction that guarantees full saturation - and means I'm sure to pack swimming trunks when going to SeaWorld Orlando. :p

Indy

Hyper Poster
This underpins something I've found fascinating about the UK market - you guys have A LOT of river rapids, and are far more willing to ride in non-swimwear than us Americans. We just don't like being as wet in street clothes. 😅
This pretty much covers my exact thoughts. The fact that so many water rides already exist in the UK despite the fact that it's not a particularly warm country is slightly wild to me.