What's new

Alton Towers | Nemesis Reborn | B&M Retrack | 2024

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
You could argue that the current colour isn't the original colour anyway, I think they over did the orange 'rust effect' during the 2016 repaint.

When you compare 1994

View attachment 21590

To todays colour:
They certainly did, and the station palette has changed a lot too.

With regards to the track, I think they just went with the rust as a more emphasised feature... To tie it in with a very rusted asphetic of the entire area.

Not quite the change that a black or red box section would be though is it?

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
I’m not sure I’d like a change in track colour, considering the track represents the monsters boney tentacles. A different colour would mean they’d have to change the colour of the whole monster.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I’m not sure I’d like a change in track colour, considering the track represents the monsters boney tentacles. A different colour would mean they’d have to change the colour of the whole monster.
The track represents the 250 tonnes of steel used to restrain the beast.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
That’s a common misconception. You’re thinking of the coaster supports, which are what bind it to the ground. The track is part of the monster. Look at it’s legs, they’re also track shaped.

You’ll also notice that the track colour switched to black on the transfer/station. This is to represent the track changing to the spine above the track.ABEFFB8A-74EF-4F0E-9BB2-F0E0A394E1B8.jpeg

Also, the original story advert they released back in the 90’s shows the track extending out of the monster as if it were extending it out of it’s mouth to feed.

There is one point that does mess this up, and that’s in the original preshow for Subterra, where it shows them helicoptering in part of the track. But that preshow also shows nemesis as a giant crab, so I don’t consider it canon 😂

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
That’s a common misconception. You’re thinking of the coaster supports, which are what bind it to the ground. The track is part of the monster. Look at it’s legs, they’re also track shaped.

You’ll also notice that the track colour switched to black on the transfer/station. This is to represent the track changing to the spine above the track.View attachment 21603

Also, the original story advert they released back in the 90’s shows the track extending out of the monster as if it were extending it out of it’s mouth to feed.

There is one point that does mess this up, and that’s in the original preshow for Subterra, where it shows them helicoptering in part of the track. But that preshow also shows nemesis as a giant crab, so I don’t consider it canon 😂

The other part is the official wording on Alton Towers website...

It took 250 tonnes of steel, bent and twisted around the monster, to hold it down. We converted the steel that imprisons the creature into the tangled rollercoaster you see here today.

I've read the comic. It supports the theory of Nemesis having extremely long tentacles, that was clearly the original concept. But it changed a long time ago now, and all recent lore has reinforced the notion of track being the restraint system.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
It’s the supports that are pinning the monster (the track).

At the risk of repeating myself, Tell that to Alton Towers...

It took 250 tonnes of steel, bent and twisted around the monster, to hold it down. We converted the steel that imprisons the creature into the tangled rollercoaster you see here today.

I'm aware of the original concept, but that changed a while back now. It just isn't canon anymore. :)

@Crazycoaster I'm not sure how they explain that. I'm not the person that decided to change it, for the record, so don't shoot the messenger. But it has been changed in official lore for a good while now. :/

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Id say the “250 tonnes of steel” refers to the supports, that are pinning the monster down, to be honest. You ride on the monster’s tentacles, not it’s cage.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Id say the “250 tonnes of steel” refers to the supports, that are pinning the monster down, to be honest. You ride on the monster’s tentacles, not it’s cage.
That could be the case, but the "We converted the steel that imprisons the creature into the tangled rollercoaster you see here today." part isn't really open to interpretation.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Anyway, moving on ever so slightly from that topic, and back to the original reason it came up.

They could play with the whole restraining the beast thing to mix things up further, such as changing the colour scheme, steel wouldn't hold it forever, it wouldn't take long before steel degrades, the beast escapes, and they need to restrain it again.

Not that I like the idea of them changing too much about the story (I actually agree with @Crazycoaster I prefer the original concept as everything makes a lot more sense) but it'd be plausible.

Last edited:

spicy

Giga Poster
I also wouldn't mind some different track colours.

Could make the track or 'aliens tentacles' really stand out and go with track like Banshee's colour, would look great with the red river waterfalls too if they work out how to bring those back. Although Alton know that most goons will have a hissy fit at any drastic changes so will probably keep the track colour the same 😂

I do hope they go all out and refurb the station too with effects and really bring Nemesis story back to life properly. TV's playing the story of the Phalanx etc. The coaster has a ready-made story to be told and I hope they do it justice and really go for it. Looking likely that they will too, with all the videos and the amazing send off it got with all the actors in the area.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Could make the track or 'aliens tentacles' really stand out
I see what you did there ;)

They'd have to change the colour, as you pointed out earlier, tentacles generally don't rust. ;)

On a serious note though, I am convinced that there's a good chance John Burton was talking about Nemesis, especially now those codes match up to RAL numbers, specifically the RAL numbers used in the posters' colour scheme.

The effort that went into placing those posters, at that specific time, during Fireworks, when they knew thousands of goons / Nemesis fans were about to descend, was imo, about more than just collecting emails for updates. If that's all it was they could have placed them any time. I think it was a gift, a sneak peek, a little easter egg for the fans, to say thanks. They knew it wouldn't be too long before somebody worked it out, so didn't want it spoiling early, and so paid the sign makers to be on site on the night (Their van was parked by Nemesis queue line.)

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
They could retheme it to a full roast chicken dinner. Who needs the red waterfalls back when it could be gravy? All of the foliage could be easily replaced with brocolli. Roast potato rockwork. The station shape is already there for the chicken. Not sure what the track would represent though.

organic_whole_plain_chicken_b22e9b8d-d69c-4653-9e20-51f441ae69a9_1000x.png

Sandman

Giga Poster
Instead of the mock rust effect, how about some mock blood splatter at various points along the track work and supports?

Might round off nicely if they dare bring back the blood waterfall etc.

I think a bit of goriness would work well. Think we're all desensitised to the rusty industrial themed elements now.