What's new

Your Least Common Opinion?

RcTmix

Mega Poster
^Absolutely agree. Even if it’s nothing official and just the ride op rapidly/casually saying “3-2-1” right as they dispatch. That tiny bit of anticipation adds to the thrill.

GregBoxall

Roller Poster
I haven't actually seen someone disagree but I think countdowns and spiels are far better than 'blind' launches/drop tower releases. I also enjoy them happening in the middle of the countdown, but when there's nothing at all it just feels like something is missing.

Even if its an incredibly quick announcement, still it's better than nothing.
I remember a ride operator at Thorpe Park telling us detonator had stopped and maintenance were on the way, and then proceeded to drop us. That was the best one I've had!

Last edited:

Inverting_Thrills

Mega Poster
I have a lot of uncommon opinions but i would have to say that my least common opinion is that Iron Gwazi is nowhere near the world's best coaster and I find not only Steel Vengeance better but also maverick and Millennium Force

Matt N

CF Legend
A possibly unpopular opinion of mine is that I am against the idea of listing amusement rides or mandating their permanent preservation.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand the sentiment behind it, and I am all for the preservation of iconic or significant rides where it is feasible and in the public interest.

However, I think that the idea of listing rides has a couple of flaws.

One principle flaw is that listing a ride (under the UK building listing system) merely mandates that the park keep it standing and don't majorly alter it. That does not force them to operate it. That to me seems to make the exercise of listing a bit pointless; surely the intent behind it is to keep a ride operating, so if the park doesn't operate it, that defeats the object of the listing, does it not?

The other principle flaw is that listing a ride could mean that that ride eventually stands in the way of progress and becomes a huge burden for the park. What if a ride that is listed becomes unfeasible to operate for whatever reason? At that point, you've hit a complete lose-lose situation for all parties. The folks wanting the ride listed lose because the ride can't feasibly operate. The park lose because the ride can't be removed to make way for something new due to the listing, meaning that the ride just sits there SBNO and becomes a massive millstone around the park's neck.

A ride that the park are obligated to maintain and keep standing that they can't feasibly operate is a complete white elephant that does nobody any good; the folks wanting the ride listed can't ride it, and the park can't replace it, so nobody wins. That is what I fear that listing rides could lead to in the long term.

JackFish

Mega Poster
The shed is good. I enjoy B&M vest restraints, behemoth is better than leviathan, SteVe is overrated, Taron is not as good as velocicoaster, Europa park is mid, and Blue Fire is terrible.

• Nemesis Inferno is the best ride at Thorpe Park.
  • Rush really isn't that great.
  • Neither SAW or Colossus are rough coasters.
  • The Walking Dead is not significantly better or worse than X.
Sorry it's just Thorpe Park stuff, I'm not a particularly well travelled enthusiast however I plan to change that this year.

Last edited:

Trax

Hyper Poster
I think I can agree with most of your points. Although I did not experience X, I actually enjoyed TWD quite a bit, even though it is strange for a family coaster to be themed to TWD.

I also have a new one:
Black Mamba is a bottom tier European invert.

Snoo

The Legend
Oh yeah @Snoo ? Opinion formulated with those many visits you've had to Phantasialand was it? ;) (as some who has ridden both it is correct tbf)
Missed that part where I had to actually ride something to have an opinion. ;)

Having seen enough POV's and experiences from friends, I have a feeling that my number 2 coaster probably won't be overridden by Taron. I'll be happily surprised if it does but many of those who have Taron in high regard often haven't been on a ton of rides OR fanboy it to death. Plus, given the layout, it MAY not be my cup of tea given what I love most. It definitely does seem to fall into the Karnan/Helix category of coasters that get sucked off to death. :p

Matt N

CF Legend
Based on the rage in Alton Towers fan circles about the recent demise of Enterprise, I’ve got a potentially very blasphemous opinion… while I don’t deny that Alton Towers could probably do with a new flat ride or two at this point, as well as a new dark ride in the form of the Dungeons boat ride reopening, I feel that the reduction of the non-coaster lineup at Alton Towers was overall a worthy price to pay for the strengthening of the coaster lineup.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
A couple following my trip to Orlando:

1 - Untamed is better than Iron Gwazi
2 - (and this may set the internet into meltdown) - The Navi river adventure is better than Avatar.

DelPiero

Strata Poster

2 - (and this may set the internet into meltdown) - The Navi river adventure is better than Avatar.
But is this because you had **** operations that day or because you've reflected on the ride experience and truly believe it? ;)

I haven't ridden either :eek: but I did see your moan about Busch's ops on IG.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
On Iron Gwazi:

But is this because you had **** operations that day or because you've reflected on the ride experience and truly believe it? ;)

I haven't ridden either :eek: but I did see your moan about Busch's ops on IG.

TBH the ops weren't great on untamed either, so It's definitely the overall ride experience - Untamed is just a little less bonkers

My family and I though the Na'vi River Journey was realy poor. The thing that annoyed me most was that the loop on the screens happened far too often for the speed of the boats making the whole fakeness far too obvious.

StampidaRMC

Roller Poster
My two controversial opinions are:

Hyperion's second hill (0-g) does not affect the ride negatively. I think it is still a fun element, even though not the best in the ride.
Another controversial opinion is that themeing does not matter. I seriously do not care about teaming and that it is an extra to a ride, it should not decide your experience on it.

Last edited:

Heth

Mega Poster
My two controversial opinions are:

Hyperion's second hill (0-g) does not affect the ride negatively. I think it is still a fun element, even though not the best in the ride.
Another controversial opinion is that teaming does not matter. I seriously do not care about teaming and that it is an extra to a ride, it should not decide your experience on it.

What is teaming?