What's new

Defunct coasters you wish you could've ridden

RcTmix

Mega Poster
Drachen Fire. I visited BGW as a kid mere days… yes DAYS after it permanently closed, and I’ve been carrying that spite for 23 years.

Steel Phantom and Volcano The Blast are also good shouts.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Tornado at M&Ds. Have heard nothing but bad things about it but still want to try it. When I visited the park, it was operating but by the time I got round to it, it closed for maintenance (or just lunch).

Know it is still operating in the south of France, but if I couldn't be arsed waiting 30mins-ish for it to reopen in Scotland, not sure if I can find the motivation to head to France for it...

Niles

Giga Poster
So for coasters that closed in my lifetime it would be:
  • Son Of Beast
  • Eagles Fortress
  • Batman & Robin: The Chiller
  • Hypersonic XLC
  • Montana Rusa - La Feria
Now for the coasters I would really love to ride:

Lake Placid Bobsled - Palisades
The tallest Bobsled ever built, I have a soft spot for bobsleds but this one looks like it would be quite thrilling and forceful.
1644663788416.png

Cyclone - Crystal Beach
Pure insanity, mock ups of this seem unreal and while it might have broken my bones I would love to give it a try.
1644664204432.png

Bisby's Spiral Airship - Queens Park
One of the first steel coasters and Suspended coasters, looks like it would be chill and scenic, also a very old suspended coaster did operate in my lifetime and its a shame I did not get to ride this one 😖 https://rcdb.com/2925.htm
1644664467147.png

Virginia Reel - Blackpool Pleasure Beach
A park should try there hand at a modern version of these classics ( come on Knoebles ) they look like great fun.
1644664668306.png

Flip Flap Railway - Paul Boyton's
I want to know how forceful that loop was, it looks nuts.
1644664970563.png

Last edited:

RcTmix

Mega Poster
^Bisby’s Spiral Airship reminded me how much I wish I could have been around for the OG Bat in 1981. Sure it was a maintenance disaster, but those free swinging cars looked out of control!

Steely Dan

Mega Poster
For me, it would unquestionably be the Riverview Bobs.

It closed, along with the rest of Riverview, after the 1967 season, and I didn't come into the world until 9 years later.

but as a 6th generation Chicagoan on my maternal side, and a 5th generation Chicagoan on my paternal side, I heard all of the stories growing up from all of my older relatives about how wild and crazy the legendary Bobs was.

I currently live about 1.5 miles due north of where Riverview Amusement Park once stood. Today the land is occupied by an ugly strip mall, a gigantic police station, a catholic high school campus, and a (non amusement) park in back along the river. Some say you can still find footers of the old Bobs back in the woods of that park. I've never gone looking for them because it'd probably make me too sad.

oh, how I wish I had access to a time machine!

just for one afternoon, that's all I'm asking.

Last edited:

Justin2000

Mega Poster
Son of Beast with the Loop
Z-Force at SFGAm/SFOG/Flashback at SFMM
Dania Beach Hurricane

Coasters Closed before I was Born
Steel Phantom at Kennywood
Big Bend at SFOT
Riverview Park Bobs
Crystal Beach Cyclone
Original Drachen Fire with Wraparound Corkscrew

EDjanaika

Mega Poster
.Wild Mouse at Blackpool i'm still gutted i couldn't get on it cause i heard a lot of things about it
. Volcano the Blast Coaster
. Dueling Dragons when it was duelling back before 2010

Peet

Giga Poster
Different categories here.

Weird/unique coasters
Alpenflug
Dodonpa (with top hat)
Arrow pipeline coaster test setup:
Arrow Pipeline Coaster_0.jpg

Legendary coasters
Crystal Beach Cyclone
BPB Virginia Reel
Belle Vue Bobs

Historic coasters
Coney Island Switchback Railway
This thing (Coney Island Loop-the-Loop)
784px-Loop_the_Loop,_Luna_Park,_Coney_Island.jpg

Near Misses
Vertigo, Walibi Belgium (Spited in 2008)
Blue Streak, Conneaut Lake (trip booked to visit in 2020)

Non-coasters
American Adventure Log Flume

Last edited:

Inverting_Thrills

Mega Poster
There's so many!

Son of Beast
(with loop)
One of the most infamous coasters ever built, need I say more?

The Original Bat
The swinging on this ride looks insane! Shame that the unbanked turns cause structural problems. This is probably the suspended coasters I wish I could've ridden most.

Moonsalt Scramble
Moonsalt Scramble is one of the most intense coasters ever made. This ride was arguably the first ever hyper coaster and was the world's tallest coaster for a very long time. Not to mention you get to go through that intense pretzel knot twice.

Crystal Beach Cyclone
Again, need I say more?

redheadedRobin

Mega Poster
Sequoia Magic Loop at Gardaland. It's still listed as SBNO despite not having been open for a few years now, and was closed when I visited. Tbh I was looking forward to ride it, as I felt it would be a fun, wacky (and painful) credit to get