What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Not quite a double post but i feel i should take my own advice from a post i made way back in 2018 with a flow chart on how to respond to ride rumours/announcements in flow chart form
thorpehyper.JPG

Which means Thorpe Park is not getting a B&M hyper and i should berate whoever started the rumour. Damn you.

BenJacobs

Roller Poster
I think we'd have more luck focusing on a possible theme.
What themes that are almost out of popular culture now would fit

Tiger King: The Ride
The Brangelina Experience
Deirdre Barlowinator
Twilight: Werewolf Vs Vampire
250feet of Gray
Fyre Festival Of Doom
Donnie Darko: The Bunny Ride
Crocks - The Revenge
The Entire Presidency Of Donald Trump - The Roller Coaster

Reckon these are all in the Merlin ball park for now cheap licenses. Apart from the last one they may not be scary enough though

Presidency of Donald Trump - The Ride. The worlds first roller coaster to just only keep going downhill!

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
I think we'd have more luck focusing on a possible theme.
What themes that are almost out of popular culture now would fit

Tiger King: The Ride
The Brangelina Experience
Deirdre Barlowinator
Twilight: Werewolf Vs Vampire
250feet of Gray
Fyre Festival Of Doom
Donnie Darko: The Bunny Ride
Crocks - The Revenge
The Entire Presidency Of Donald Trump - The Roller Coaster

Reckon these are all in the Merlin ball park for now cheap licenses. Apart from the last one they may not be scary enough though
Is it a bad thing that I've not heard of any of these save the 250feet of Gray (****) and the last one.

Purge themed B&M mini dive. Been saying it for years.

Matt N

CF Legend
On a different note, it looks as though very little has happened in Old Town since the season ended; Platform 15 is still fully intact, as are the kids' rides. The source for this is Jack Silkstone's recent Thorpe Park winter update:
(The Old Town section is towards the start, and takes up the bulk of the video)

Also, for some idea of how huge the plot of land they have to work with here is, it took Jack around 3.5-4 minutes to walk the entire length of the potential plot (from Old Town Burger King to the CCR train shed)!

This video has also made me guess that this coaster could well end up being one of the most heavily covered UK coaster projects in terms of construction updates; I can sense that the combination of the coaster site being directly next to Monk's Walk and Jack Silkstone's appetite for filming frequent Thorpe Park updates could lead to some excellent coverage of construction!

Matt N

CF Legend
Thank you for describing the events (or lack thereof) in that video as now we don't have to watch it <3
No problem at all; given that I know the general attitude to videos on here is quite negative, I thought it was the least I could do!

Although I did forget to mention that he also showed us a huge Tesla marquee in the car park, pointed out that the Black Mirror promo signs have been taken down (and hidden behind a bush, in some cases), and that he showed us a stripped down Nemesis Inferno train, as well as some rainy shots of Thorpe Park’s skyline in winter.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Does the theming strongly enhance Taron for you then @Nicky Borrill? I only ask because Taron is ranked a good few spots higher than Shambhala in the top 10 in your signature.
Theming is a big thing with Taron Matt... Without it, it's probably a top 10 coaster for me still... but with it, the whole experience makes it a top 3... And I'm normally not one to make much of theming!!! Klugheim is something special... Taron is something special... Together they are incredible!!!

In fact I nearly posted in your magical moments thread earlier that my favourite moment was walking into Klugheim for the first time! I knew it was good before heading in, but nothing could have prepared me!!! Even Rookburgh, as good as it is, didn't have that same effect the first time, as I was kind of expecting that level of detail... I just wasn't expecting it to be so overwhelmingly good when I first entered Klugheim.

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
What is it?
Fifty Shades of Grey 🤮

Normally I would dismiss the notion of this being used as an IP as a joke (like it is here), but after learning recently that Genting Skyworlds has created an elaborate 5-min flying theatre themed to the highly unpopular and unbelievably stupid Independence Day: Resurgence, I now believe that no IP is too awful to use.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Ooh looks like someone has been angered by my honestly not that unpopular opinion 😂

Not at all. My post was an attempt at a bit of dry humour tbf.

In fact, on multiple occasions on this forum, I have called Rita a "baby Taron", so I don't disagree with the sentiment that Rita and Taron are in some sense similar rides.

There's plenty of people out there who rate other Intamins above Taron, of course. And I'm sure plenty of people would rather see a Taiga or Velocicoaster over a Taron. But here's the thing, regardless of your opinion of Taron, I genuinely think anyone who has ridden it will agree that a ride like Taron would be a great fit for Thorpe.

It's a long ride, with no inversions, a focus on airtime and (more specifically) having you leave your seat repeatedly with twisty laterals. Fast, smooth, re-rideable. It ticks all the boxes that people have been discussing for something Thorpe needs.
So something along those lines genuinely would be a great fit in my eyes.

Or he's like myself and has ridden it but didn't really rate it. Incredible themeing and all but as a ride itself its fine but there are much better rides out there in my opinion.

Either way I think we can safely say you can't create Taron level themeing out of shipping containers and creepy music. Wonder how people would rate a Taron clone if merlin stuck one in the car park 😂

Honestly, I do slightly - only slightly - prefer Taiga's layout to Taron's. The theming and overall experience of Taron is what edges it above Taiga for me. But still, chuck a Taron clone on a car park and whilst it won't be as special, I personally would still rate it very highly.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I have always maintained that Taron is unleashing the full potential of Rita's concept. The rides are very similar in concept: a launch followed by a twisty, mostly low-laying layout. But while Rita mainly used that layout to bleed off some speed after the launch (which was the focal point of the ride), Taron uses the launch to build speed before the layout, and the layout is definitely the important bit. Rita is a "launch coaster", Taron is a "launched coaster", so to say.

I think I'd be happy to see a Taron 2.0 anywhere, but it intuitively feels like a better fit for Alton Towers than for Thorpe. Thorpe can build tall and should use that opportunity. Something like Taiga or Velocicoaster would fit better. And if a sit-down coaster with inversions feels redundant with Colossus ... just tear down Colossus already, and free up some more space in the process.

James F

Hyper Poster
I have both Taron and Icon in my top 10 and while Taron is definitely the better ride, I don't believe that Icon is that far behind (although granted I haven't done thousands of coasters)

More to the point of discussion; a Taron style ride is always a good thing, but if I had to pick between say Silver Star or Taron for Thorpe's new coaster I'd go with the former even though it isn't quite as good. It's just a better fit.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I have both Taron and Icon in my top 10 and while Taron is definitely the better ride, I don't believe that Icon is that far behind (although granted I haven't done thousands of coasters)

Look at my top coasters in my signature ;)

Point is exactly that, it’s hard to imagine somebody who rates Icon so highly hating Taron when they ride it. But nobody can know for sure, until they’ve ridden it. :)

So back to Thorpe Park...
Is anyone attending the public consultation tomorrow?

There is bound to be a few… Not sure if they should make it public here before the event though ;)

I’m sure we’ll find out more info tomorrow evening.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
This is the last thread I expected to read Taron slander 💔
I know right, I thought mentioning it was a safe bet here but I've opened a can of worms! 😂

Get your final predictions in before tomorrow! I just hope it's something substantial, not too short, fun and highly re-rideable (so no weird gimmicks or roughness within a year or two).