What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I have to admit, although I would personally prefer a huge Intamin Blitz coaster to a B&M Hyper under most circumstances... I can see why, and actually agree with others who would rather a hyper over one of these at Thorpe Park specifically. A good blitz is something that will surely come at any one of several parks at some point in the future... Given it's popularity, capacity, reliability and most importantly, relatively low height requirement... I think whatever it is, the Thorpe coaster has to be tall!

After the popularity of Taron, Taiga, Velocicoaster, and even the mack variants, surely multi launch lsm coasters are on most park's wish lists?

mrFacipieri

Roller Poster
I am confident that with Lego the next investments will be more decent (who expected a new dark ride in gardaland?). I also believe that Merlin has bought a series of b&m coaster again and in particular a series of launched coaster

Dan?

Roller Poster
I am confident that with Lego the next investments will be more decent (who expected a new dark ride in gardaland?). I also believe that Merlin has bought a series of b&m coaster again and in particular a series of launched coaster
What makes you say that - and what makes you say that Thorpe are getting one of these launched coasters? Merlin are getting a number of traditional lift hill B&Ms at their Chinese Legoland parks too.

mrFacipieri

Roller Poster
Look what happened with the wing coaster. First Gardaland and then also in a bunch of merlin parks. Same with the dive coaster.

launched coaster is a b&m prototype. merlin likes to have discount so i guess we will see more launched b&m in the near future in other merlin parks

Dan?

Roller Poster
Look what happened with the wing coaster. First Gardaland and then also in a bunch of merlin parks. Same with the dive coaster.

launched coaster is a b&m prototype. merlin likes to have discount so i guess we will see more launched b&m in the near future in other merlin parks

B&M have already done launched coasters on several occasions - whether it be collaborative or independent. I wouldn't say there's any chance Thorpe are going to get a launched B&M. Top 3 candidates I'd say are a hyper, flyer or mini dive, and I wouldn't expect any of them to be launched. They literally have Stealth about 5 to 10 minutes away from where we expect the station to go.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I wouldn't expect any of them to be launched. They literally have Stealth about 5 to 10 minutes away from where we expect the station to go.
Then again, these days launches are just another way to attain speed. Just because one coaster in the park has a launch already, shouldn't prevent them from building more. After all, the park has five coasters with lift hills (four of them of the conventional straight sloped variety). Launches are popular for propulsion these days for many reasons - particularly because they can achieve much higher speed with a lower height than a lift hill. I wouldn't grumble too much if Thorpe's next coaster was launched.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I think these days there's now "launch coasters" and "coasters with launches".

Launch coasters are a bit more old school, like Stealth for example, where the main focus is launch. There might be a bit of a ride afterwards (say like Rita), but it's all about the launch.
Coasters with launches just have launches instead of lift hills. They might be fun in their own right, and might even be a highlight, but the ride is focused on the launch.

I don't think there's a problem with any park having a "launch coaster" and a "coaster with launches"

Dan?

Roller Poster
Regardless, given the park's current lineup, I don't think they'd order anything from B&M with a launch - it seems B&M only offer sitdowns and wings with launches, and we already have a sitdown-type coaster (Colossus) and a wing (The Swarm).

MakoMania

Mega Poster
Probably not out of the question that they could slap a launch on a traditional hyper coaster train like Mako if they really wanted to.

It would seem B&M are wanting to sell more launches, with both Chessington and SeaWorld Orlando getting B&M launch coasters in 2023 and late 2022.

Dan?

Roller Poster
Probably not out of the question that they could slap a launch on a traditional hyper coaster train like Mako if they really wanted to.

It would seem B&M are wanting to sell more launches, with both Chessington and SeaWorld Orlando getting B&M launch coasters in 2023 and late 2022.
We'd be talking about another 80mph launch then, which I don't think I've seen with LSMs or friction wheels (except maybe Superman: Escape From Krypton).

I think we can safely rule out a B&M Launch.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
We'd be talking about another 80mph launch then, which I don't think I've seen with LSMs or friction wheels (except maybe Superman: Escape From Krypton).

I think we can safely rule out a B&M Launch.
Red Force goes 112mph with a LSM launch.

Dan?

Roller Poster
Red Force goes 112mph with a LSM launch.
Ok, but even still - Thorpe getting a B&M Launch when there's gonna be one literally half an hour away feels quite odd, especially if most people are also saying they're gonna get a hyper. I'm banking on chain lift hyper, dive or flyer as I said earlier.

Nessles84

Roller Poster
New member here…

I would absolutely love a B & M Hyper for Thorpe Park. The park is desperate for an airtime machine.
Alternatively, I’ve always considered it would be a great option for them to have something along similar lines to Der Schwur des Karnan at Hansa Park. I have not ridden but it looks insane, imagine that ducking in and about the trees in Old town.

in all honesty its just positive that we are to get something new after such a long period of coaster inactivity. Whatever they decide to go with I‘m sure it will be a most welcome addition.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Whatever they decide to go with I‘m sure it will be a most welcome addition.
Welcome to the forum!

I agree that there definitely is potential for something great, but there's still the anxiety that they will go all Merlin on us. The vision of a well-used family coaster painted black, themed to something to do with horror and urban decay, and called "The world's first Terrorcoaster!!" (With the two exclamation marks) does not want to let go from my mind.

Swat

Mega Poster
Welcome to the forum!

I agree that there definitely is potential for something great, but there's still the anxiety that they will go all Merlin on us. The vision of a well-used family coaster painted black, themed to something to do with horror and urban decay, and called "The world's first Terrorcoaster!!" (With the two exclamation marks) does not want to let go from my mind.
I would not put it past Merlin to theme this around the Creek Freak IP

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
🤣
This entire thread... in one sentence!
I mean, this is a whole new level of cred anxiety.
What if it's sh*t?

I'm loving this and hating it at the same time.
Not going to lie, after the past 2 years that might just do me in, especially after experiencing how bloody good FLY and Rookburgh turned out.