What's new

Dollywood | Big Bear Mountain | Vekoma Family Launched Coaster | 2023

Magic-Man

Mega Poster
I just thought of something. What if this is one of those next-gen Vekoma launched flying coasters? The layout would be perfect for a flying coaster (especially with all the weird sways in the track), Dollywood has worked with Vekoma before, they could easily theme it to butterflies or a bird and have it fit perfectly into the surrounding Wildwood Grove, it wouldn't be that intense so it could qualify as a family coaster, and it's very different than both of the other launch coasters in the park. It would also be the first of it's kind in the States. The only real hurdle I can think of is the new manufacturer thing, but the layout was still in flux as of four months ago so the manufacturer could have been as well.

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
I just thought of something. What if this is one of those next-gen Vekoma launched flying coasters? The layout would be perfect for a flying coaster (especially with all the weird sways in the track), Dollywood has worked with Vekoma before, they could easily theme it to butterflies or a bird and have it fit perfectly into the surrounding Wildwood Grove, it wouldn't be that intense so it could qualify as a family coaster, and it's very different than both of the other launch coasters in the park. It would also be the first of it's kind in the States. The only real hurdle I can think of is the new manufacturer thing, but the layout was still in flux as of four months ago so the manufacturer could have been as well.
I like the sound of that, although it’s to the understanding of a very reliable source of mine that Dollywood 100% is not working with Vekoma for the time being on account of them telling the park that Dragonflier’s booster wheel hill would be able to run in the rain (it can’t).
But I just remember that Pete Owens said in February, that the next new ride at Dollywood would be built by a manufacturer with the park hasn't work yet.
Also, if this is true and referring to this 2023 addition, then that would rule out Vekoma anyways.

Magic-Man

Mega Poster
I like the sound of that, although it’s to the understanding of a very reliable source of mine that Dollywood 100% is not working with Vekoma for the time being on account of them telling the park that Dragonflier’s booster wheel hill would be able to run in the rain (it can’t).

Also, if this is true and referring to this 2023 addition, then that would rule out Vekoma anyways.
Damn, I didn't know about that Dragonflier bug (full pun intended). That sucks.

cleverwittyusername

Roller Poster
Made it to Dollywood for the first time this summer. I was blown away by how much I loved Firechaser. I won’t complain at all of this ends up being similar - it certainly won’t be the exact same experience.

It’s also important to note that next to Lightning Rod, Firechaser is often the longest wait in the park. Dollywood’s patrons are clearly demanding more of that type of ride. Another launched family coaster will bring more balance to wait times and pull crowds into that far corner of the park more frequently.

Magic-Man

Mega Poster
Made it to Dollywood for the first time this summer. I was blown away by how much I loved Firechaser. I won’t complain at all of this ends up being similar - it certainly won’t be the exact same experience.

It’s also important to note that next to Lightning Rod, Firechaser is often the longest wait in the park. Dollywood’s patrons are clearly demanding more of that type of ride. Another launched family coaster will bring more balance to wait times and pull crowds into that far corner of the park more frequently.
Yeah, I was surprised how much I loved Firechaser. I wish my home park (Busch Gardens Tampa) had something like that, but I suppose it's not too much of a loss considering Dollywood will be my new home park in a few months.

Magic-Man

Mega Poster
Here's a cool NL2 pre-creation based on the plans by Jake Anderson, I really like the look of this tbh:-

I can't lie though, I do think this layout would be best suited for a spinning coaster, which is what I'm hoping it is.
Yeah, I doubt we're looking at a normal train for this. It's spinning or motorbike 100%. But the layout is probably correct, it's partially by the BGWFans guy and he knows his stuff.

cocoa

Mega Poster
i am 100% in on spinning trains doing whatever crazy layouts we want. I remember the inversion on the weird-ass one at sega joypolis being an insane moment in an otherwise totally forgetable ride... all this ride to happiness things just look ****ed good

jay37415

Mega Poster
I few month ago I was at Dollywood and a Dipping Dots guy said he thinks it will be inverted like Dragonflyer. Yesterday I was there and a girl was at the Dippin Dots booth this time. She said she got to see the plans. I asked if she thinks it will be a spinning coaster. She replied, "I think it will be inverted like Dragonflyer (wink wink) So Ive had two staff members tell me it will be inverted. I personally don't think DW will put two inverts beside each other, if they go the invert route, I could see a scaled down Vekoma FLY.

FYI - no signs of any work being done in that area.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Repeat after me -

The Dippin Dots staff are not a reliable source. 👏

:)
We need to put a melody to that. 13 syllables. Anyone up for the task? It's one too short for supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

emoo

Hyper Poster
You should hear the rumours the dippin dot vending machine next to Hyperion told me - but I promised not to tell anyone.