What's new

Best pirate ship?

ThemeParkHistorian

Roller Poster
At most theme parks, each place has a good selection of flat rides. To me, one of the best and most fun ones are the good old Pirate Ships. These things are airtime machines and they never get old to me. What do you think is the best Pirate Ship in the world/at any theme park?
For me, I recently rode the Galleon at Knoebels, and my golly was I out of my seat! That ride is one of the best there. How bout you?

Last edited:

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
What’s with the center alignment?​

Anyway, the ones that go upside down are so much better than the non-inverting ones. Other than that, I don’t know if there’s a difference.

Also shoutout to this mf:

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
The classic Huss ships are great when running at their fastest/highest and as mentioned above, the Intamin looping starships are fun and look fab!

Whilst not the best, the weirdest pirate ship I have done was probably the one at Movieland Park in Italy that has coaster style lap bars that stop you getting any airtime. Pretty strange so fit in well in that park! 😂

Peet

Giga Poster
The best one I've been on is the steam powered one at Hollycombe steam fair:

You just sit on a plain wooden bench with no restraints, and I think the swing is powered throughout because you really get flung around, it's absolute carnage on the back row :) .

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I was never a big fan of Pirate Ships but would always give them a go.

The one that I truly hated though was Le Bag Pearl at Bagatelle. Big ship, VERY long cycle (almost 5 minutes), and when it started to stop, it seemed to slow down every other swing (rather than every swing, which seems more common on the ships I've done). Made me feel very queazy.

Has a really nice setting and nice enough theming though. And I'm sure Pirate Ship aficionados love it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Bounty at Drayton Manor or Half Maene at Efteling
Yeah, Bounty is really decent, AND it's also "new". I didn't even think new Pirate Ships were actually sold any more, then Drayton proved me wrong.

Oakwood's used to "good". Part of that was there was either something a bit borked, or they ran it too hard. When it reached the maximum swing, you could physically feel (and see) the entire ship "clunk" to the side on the bearings at the central axel. Did it for a few years, so it must have passed inspection... Mustn't it..?

Whilst not the best, the weirdest pirate ship I have done was probably the one at Movieland Park in Italy that has coaster style lap bars that stop you getting any airtime.

There used to be one like that at Liseberg. I wonder if that's where it ended up? It was **** - but worth it for the completely pointless experience :D

My oddest Pirate Ship experience was at Blackpool. They moved the ride to the end of Vikingar (The Water Chute as it was back then - this is going back to 1987 or something).

They did late night openings for the lights in October, and we made our annual pilgrimage one evening.

Anyway, the ride op set the ride going, and it's all good - really good, high swings.

I'm thinking "this will stop soon, we've had five or six high swings". I look out to watch the ride op and... He's gone. Literally left the booth. WTF?

The ride seriously went on for over five minutes at full swing. Eventually, the op comes back with a cuppa and a sandwich. He'd obviously needed a bit of a break, so just set the ride off and went for one :D

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
The best one I've been on is the steam powered one at Hollycombe steam fair:

You just sit on a plain wooden bench with no restraints, and I think the swing is powered throughout because you really get flung around, it's absolute carnage on the back row :) .

Second this, was amazed at how crazy it was!

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Yeah, Bounty is really decent, AND it's also "new". I didn't even think new Pirate Ships were actually sold any more, then Drayton proved me wrong.

Oakwood's used to "good". Part of that was there was either something a bit borked, or they ran it too hard. When it reached the maximum swing, you could physically feel (and see) the entire ship "clunk" to the side on the bearings at the central axel. Did it for a few years, so it must have passed inspection... Mustn't it..?

There used to be one like that at Liseberg. I wonder if that's where it ended up? It was **** - but worth it for the completely pointless experience :D

My oddest Pirate Ship experience was at Blackpool. They moved the ride to the end of Vikingar (The Water Chute as it was back then - this is going back to 1987 or something).

They did late night openings for the lights in October, and we made our annual pilgrimage one evening.

Anyway, the ride op set the ride going, and it's all good - really good, high swings.

I'm thinking "this will stop soon, we've had five or six high swings". I look out to watch the ride op and... He's gone. Literally left the booth. WTF?

The ride seriously went on for over five minutes at full swing. Eventually, the op comes back with a cuppa and a sandwich. He'd obviously needed a bit of a break, so just set the ride off and went for one :D
I know of a park that this did on their drop tower. Ride op set it on manual mode, gondola reached the top and then he went to visit the ride next door to chat with another ride op. When he had discussed whatever it was more important than the safety of his guests then he returned and drop them.

Did you puke after that awfully long cycle?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I know of a park that this did on their drop tower. Ride op set it on manual mode, gondola reached the top and then he went to visit the ride next door to chat with another ride op. When he had discussed whatever it was more important than the safety of his guests then he returned and drop them.

Did you puke after that awfully long cycle?

Nah, I've generally got a really strong stomach. It did get really boring though.