What's new

A miraculously dry visit to Kennywood!

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
I left this morning with the weather forecast saying 75-80+% chance of rain for the area w thunderstorms. Unsure what to do but having 1 bought the ticket 2 not being able to move it to later in this brief trip I just watched the local weather as I got close. It seemed to be raining on and off so I said f**k it, why not? The coaster gods rewarded me, it was a light drizzle on and off before stopping for good. Aside from a few minutes of misting, was totally dry. AND I'm guessing this weather kept people away as the park was dead. Perfect combo.

Went for Steel Curtain, (I got there at noon figured Exterminator's line was already screwed) and the line itself wasn't bad but took about 30 minutes per. Wasn't the ops they seemed pretty efficient it was all the 1 train thing. Fun ride though I was underwhelmed. It has the speed, length, unique layout lots of elements, airtime and it was all fine but eh kinda forceless and underwhelming. Especially the 2nd half guess I expected more oomf. Phantom's was walk on, in one case didn't even break stride and got onto a loading train and everything else was walk on or 1-2 cycles at most ahead.

Sky Rocket was better than expected (granted low bar) in back some solid pops of air and was a tiny bit whippy. Really it was all good till the 2nd barrel roll after that it's quite lame. Shame as the first half was pretty fun, wish that MCBR was just an airtime hill or something. I was surprised by Jack Rabbit and Racer. Got both in back, and again I expected little of Racer but was a fun little ride. Jack Rabbit wasn't just the double down, got some solid air a few other moments. I will say that Thunderbolt is perhaps my least fav of the 3 classic woodies.

Saw that Exterminator's line was indeed huge, I was not feeling it and since Phantom's was empty...figured 3 of that in less time was the better choice. Got back row for all em on the day (6 or 7 rides) and god damn, I forgot what a ride that was. Esp in back, that first half is so underrated. Some nasty pull, and it got me each time...it feels like maybe its dragging after that helix then boom those airtime hills, it honestly startled me. Truly what a ride that is.
The park can't help that last time I went it was hot as hell, crowded as hell, rides were down/closed but this was certainly a redemption visit. Was done in 3 hours but did take some time to walk around the more forested parts, the fountains near the splash boat. Was nice. If I was local would certainly come a lot. But from far away? Now that I've had redemption idk, solid little park but I don't know if I have a need to go again at least for a few years.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Those rare days when the forecast is a bit rubbish for the few days preceding your day, but then it randomly is actually a nice day, are the holy grail of coaster days I reckon.

Hasn't happened to me often, but when it has it's awesome having the place to yourself!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I couldn't help but laugh reading this - we had the exact same experience visiting Kennywood two years back for Steel Curtain. The forecast was calling for a typhoon that would wipe West Mifflin off of the map. When we got to the park, there was rain in downtown, but the Kennywood hillside remained bone-dry the entire day!

Also bummer to hear about Steel Curtain's ops. Agreed that Kennywood leaves a lot to be desire for operator efficiency - my biggest annoyance on Steel Curtain is just how slow the dispatch and chain lift are. Unfortunate oversight on S&S' part.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Just to make it's known: I didn't think the ops themselves were bad, it was just the 1 train thing. As said above that dreadfully slow lift hurts. Phantom's was really moving and Sky Rocket was very fast. The classic woodies were pretty rough and idk I'd think they should be quick but maybe not. I do give that one woman credit, having to do BOTH trains on Racer and she was hauling ass but ya know....1 person doing 2 trains is just a lot. Not sure if that is a labor shortage thing or just how they do it.

Indeed, shame with Steel Curtain and I just can't put my finger on it. It's all there, but it isn't...