What's new

Best roller coaster in Universal Studios Florida?

Best ride?

• Total voters

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
RotM by a wide margin. Rockit is rough and doesn’t do much, Escape From Gringotts is barely a coaster, and Nuthouse Coaster is a Junior Coaster. By contrast, RotM is incredibly themed, smooth, and overall a great time.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Without having experienced Gringotts, I will say, as far as coaster hardware is concerned, ROTM.

The ride is pure fun, has a bit of everything, even a fake station and overall great vibe. Absolutely loved it and it was my comfort and go-to ride when I used to work in Florida and wanted to spend some time away from the blazing Florida sun and heat.

Matt N

CF Legend
In terms of my favourite ride experience out of these, I voted for Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts, because even though the actual “coaster” bit is limited, I simply find the whole thing absolutely sublime from the second you step into the queue right through to the second you walk into the gift shop afterwards.

Revenge of the Mummy is also fantastic, however, and a very, very close second (they’re literally 1 spot apart in my rankings, and I often have trouble deciding between them!); I love all the fire and other special effects, and the whole Egyptian theme and vibe of it is one that I absolutely love, and I think it’s executed incredibly well by Universal! I’m also a fan of Mummy’s more extensive coaster section compared to Gringotts.

Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, although ranked lower than both the above, is still a ride that I really quite like! I’m not sure whether I got a good ride on it, but I remember it being fairly fast-paced, with a fair few decent pops of airtime, and although I wouldn’t say that the ride was glossy smooth by any means, the rattle wasn’t too bad for me, and I have quite a low roughness tolerance! I certainly didn’t find it unbearable, by any means.

Can’t comment on Woody Woodpecker as I haven’t ridden it.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Mummy.
Gringotts is perhaps a better experience, well OK it deff is, and don't get me wrong...fun ass ride, but Mummy is shockingly very good. I didn't know what it was and expected some generic going around in circles and drops dark coaster, did not expect a launched hill and two pretty good airtime moments! Fun theming and show, and the ride was less mild than I'd have thought. Legit great ride. I love Gringotts, close #2.

I know Hollywood is a meme, kinda rightfully so, but I wont lie, I always enjoyed it. Not sure how it's rough, I had zero roughness, unless yall mean the rattle in which case I wont go there, I know people have very different feelings on it from "I dont notice a thing to/I cant ride it" but well I strongly am towards the former. Its a weird ride but some decent pops of air, not a bad helix, its pretty fun. Solid ride, though clearly behind the other two. Can't say I've ever ridden Woody Woodpecker's or plan to.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Coaster - The Mummy
Experience - Gringotts

Gringotts, especially the exterior, queue and physical sets, is disgustingly good.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Mummy is fabulous. A top tier ride, that.

Gringrotts was ‘OK’. Boring screen scenes detract from the experience.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Yeah, Gringotts is probably the better ride (ok, it IS the better ride... the theming, story, and effects just blow Mummy out of the water), but Mummy is the more fun coaster.

Last time I was at the park I found myself cycling through Mummy's SRQ. It honestly is a pretty fun coaster. I used to love indoor coasters, and this is among the best of those. Love the launch and sudden drops and transitions.

Rockit is pretty mediocre, and honestly doesn't offer much.

Gotta say, USF's ride lineup is really weak compared to IoA's. They're due for a seriously good ride.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Yep USF is really lacking in re-ridable rides/experiences.

Transformers is sort of a less lovable and ‘by the numbers’ Spider-Man adaptation, which weirdly always felt more of a ‘move from screen to screen to screen’ than Spider-Man. I still think the section in Spider-Man where you fly up in the air is a really impressive ‘illusion. Transformers feels a bit derivative.

You have rip-ride-rocket which is a little weird and garish looking with it’s lights and a fairly uncomfortable experience.

The Mummy and Gringrotts are good. Men in Black is also good.

Then you have a collection of meh. The Simpsons, Jimmy Fallon, The Fast and the Furious, Shrek, Minions... of those only FATF is truly terrible, but they don’t warrant repeating. ET is quite dated.

I think they really suffered by getting rid of Jaws.

I’ll pop in to see the new Jason Bourne show the next time I hit IOA.

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
See, I actually really like USF’s ride selection, personally! Mummy, Gringotts and Transformers are all rides that I absolutely love, I actually rather enjoy HRRR, and I’ll admit that I do have a real soft spot for The Simpsons Ride/Springfield, as well!

I also find that in Diagon Alley and Springfield especially, you can almost be just as satisfied by just walking around the areas and taking in the luscious themed environments as you can be actually riding their attractions!

Controversially, I’d actually say that Universal Studios Florida is one of my all-time favourite theme parks; right up there in the top 3 alongside Islands of Adventure and Alton Towers! Islands of Adventure is most definitely top dog for me, but I often have trouble deciding between USF and Alton Towers for the #2 spot. I think Alton Towers possibly feels like a more complete and rounded park in terms for ride lineup than USF, and I do have a greater sentimental attachment to Alton, but I just love the whole atmosphere of USF, as well as the ride lineup.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
See, I actually really like USF’s ride selection, personally! Mummy, Gringotts and Transformers are all rides that I absolutely love, I actually rather enjoy HRRR, and I’ll admit that I do have a real soft spot for The Simpsons Ride/Springfield, as well!

I also find that in Diagon Alley and Springfield especially, you can almost be just as satisfied by just walking around the areas and taking in the luscious themed environments as you can be actually riding their attractions!

Controversially, I’d actually say that Universal Studios Florida is one of my all-time favourite theme parks; right up there in the top 3 alongside Islands of Adventure and Alton Towers! Islands of Adventure is most definitely top dog for me, but I often have trouble deciding between USF and Alton Towers for the #2 spot. I think Alton Towers possibly feels like a more complete and rounded park in terms for ride lineup than USF, and I do have a greater sentimental attachment to Alton, but I just love the whole atmosphere of USF, as well as the ride lineup.
Have you been to Europa Park? That ousted IOA from the number one spot as ‘best park’ for me, even though no thrill rides were stand out. I would definitely recommend a trip, which could even be possible this summer.

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
Have you been to Europa Park? That ousted IOA from the number one spot as ‘best park’ for me, even though no thrill rides were stand out. I would definitely recommend a trip, which could even be possible this summer.
I haven’t, but I’m very eager to go at some point!

My mum and dad have already said that we’re not going abroad until at least 2022, probably later, though, and the first trip we were hoping to do when we go abroad was a final trip to Florida as a family, to Universal/SeaWorld/Busch Gardens, which we haven’t done since 2016. Possibly Hollywood Studios as well, as I think my dad is very eager to see Galaxy’s Edge.

For me, at least, the allure of VelociCoaster and Iron Gwazi is very strong!

The one thing I’ve heard said about Europa, though, that makes me slightly sceptical as to whether it would be my favourite park, is that I’ve often heard it compared to Disney’s Magic Kingdom, and while I liked my days at MK, I wouldn’t say it was one of my favourite parks by any means. Phantasialand/PortAventura are the big European parks apparently more comparable to Universal Orlando (which I absolutely love).

One park I did really like that Europa looks very comparable to, though, is Epcot. If Europa can encapsulate everything I loved about Epcot’s World Showcase while also chucking in a more expansive ride lineup, then that bodes pretty well for me loving it!

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Mummy for me, the only coaster at USF I actually like!

Potter is such a *bad* ride, sorry not sorry? I've never seen the movies or read the books..... Its so much stop and go // watch a movie. For such a strong start it ends up being terrible and extremely uninteresting. MEH

Rockit is by far one of the *worst* coasters I've ever ridden, and I've given it so many chances for it to just keep being awful.

Not really fair to rate/rank kiddie coasters among things clearly not meant for the under-6 crowds.

RcTmix

Mega Poster
1. Mummy
2. Rockit
Distant 3rd: Gringotts

The theming and queue for Gringotts are incredible, but I found the actual ride experience to be a major letdown. The Gringotts scene in the film was full of potential for a really exciting, interesting, and rather intense ride. The ride hardware and the pacing just don't deliver. It's been awhile since I've been on it, but I remember thinking that some of the screen based scenes were far less convincing or immersive than some of Universal's other rides that use screens.

I've done Rockit several times over the years since it was built, and I've always quite enjoyed it. The roughness people complain about has always been pretty mild for me, and I think the extra bit of intensity adds to the experience rather than taking away. Sure, the theming is much weaker than Mummy and Potter, but the physical ride experience is pretty fun.

Mummy is a very good themed indoor roller coaster. I always have a blast riding it. It's probably my favorite attraction at Universal Studios, but I still wouldn't consider it a major standout as either a dark ride or a coaster.