What's new

How much does Monster at Gronalund weigh?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
This is an in-joke between me and @ECG.

We keep receiving spam emails from clever bots asking how much Monster weighs. As tempted as I am to reply with something sarcastic like “more than Godzilla but less than your mum”, I just deleted them.

A 4th one came through this morning and now I’m genuinely intrigued. How much does Monster weigh? Anybody clever/bored enough to roughly work it out?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
We could find out how much it weighs in metric tons, and how mums that equates to.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
A 4th one came through this morning and now I’m genuinely intrigued. How much does Monster weigh? Anybody clever/bored enough to roughly work it out?

I won't say I'm clever enough, and I'm not exactly bored enough, but I'm in the mood to procrastinate enough.

After some digging, it turns out that Swarm's track supposedly weighs 1000 tonnes. Source: https://www.uk.weber/technical-mortars/swarm-thorpe-park-surrey
Swarm is 2543ft, meaning that about 1ft of Swarm's track is about 0.3932 tonnes.
Assuming that B&M invert and B&M wingrider track weighs roughly the same per foot, then Monster's track, at 2296.6ft (the .6 is very important), weighs about 903 tonnes.

Now we have an issue about supports. I don't know how much a support weighs. And even if I did, would that include all the bolts and such? Who knows. And are they filled with sand, are they hollow, are they made entirely of steel? I don't know.
I'd assume the total weight of the supports is less than the total weight of track though.
So feel free to pluck a random number between 1 and 902, and add that to the weight, and then you have the weight in tonnes of Monster (stuff like trains and all of that can be included in this number, why not).

So to give an accurate answer: Monster at Grona Lund weighs at lest 903 tonnes, and is no where near as heavy - or dense - as your mum.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Considering @FABH has ridden it with the higher-ups of the park, perhaps this (very unlikely) question came up in conversation so he could tell us the answer although that would've certainly been a weird and interesting conversation.

(I'm joking of course.)

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
The park probably knows the exact number, since each delivery to the site tends to specify the weight of the items delivered. Not sure if they'd bother summing it up, though, as the total weight of the structure isn't a relevant number in most cases.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
I won't say I'm clever enough, and I'm not exactly bored enough, but I'm in the mood to procrastinate enough.

After some digging, it turns out that Swarm's track supposedly weighs 1000 tonnes. Source: https://www.uk.weber/technical-mortars/swarm-thorpe-park-surrey
Swarm is 2543ft, meaning that about 1ft of Swarm's track is about 0.3932 tonnes.
Assuming that B&M invert and B&M wingrider track weighs roughly the same per foot, then Monster's track, at 2296.6ft (the .6 is very important), weighs about 903 tonnes.

Now we have an issue about supports. I don't know how much a support weighs. And even if I did, would that include all the bolts and such? Who knows. And are they filled with sand, are they hollow, are they made entirely of steel? I don't know.
I'd assume the total weight of the supports is less than the total weight of track though.
So feel free to pluck a random number between 1 and 902, and add that to the weight, and then you have the weight in tonnes of Monster (stuff like trains and all of that can be included in this number, why not).

So to give an accurate answer: Monster at Grona Lund weighs at lest 903 tonnes, and is no where near as heavy - or dense - as your mum.
To add to this, the average weight of a mum is 175 pounds. There are 2204 pounds in a tonne, or 12.6 mums. So monster weighs at roughly 11,377 mums.