What's new

Fantasy Island (NY) - Saved by IB?

Steely Dan

Mega Poster
Man, this Gene Staples guy is like some kind of small defunct amusement park fairy godmother.

Perhaps someone on the other side of the pond wants to send him a note about the current state of Lightwater Valley? ;)

I obviously wish him nothing but success in his endeavors, but I also have concerns about him perhaps biting off a bit too much a bit too fast.

I pray my fear is misplaced. Time will tell....

Last edited:

Twisterfan1995

Roller Poster
Looks like they have entered into a “tentative agreement” and are aiming for a 2022 reopening.

Two other interesting notes are:
  • Staples appears to be planning on pursuing loans/incentives from the area government and/or economic development organization l, following a similar business strategy like with Indiana Beach.
  • Plans on turning it into a “family friendly” park per the article

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Looks like they have entered into a “tentative agreement” and are aiming for a 2022 reopening.

Two other interesting notes are:
  • Staples appears to be planning on pursuing loans/incentives from the area government and/or economic development organization l, following a similar business strategy like with Indiana Beach.
  • Plans on turning it into a “family friendly” park per the article
Well, isn't Fantasy Island already a family friendly park? It's not like it's SFMM or CP...

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
It was Silver Comet....and a whole bunch of carnival rides 😬
Basically this. Park was a DUMP before it closed, but a dump with a TON of space and a MAJOR world attraction 15 minutes up the road. With care and proper investment this could easily be turned into a great park. That said it'd likely take a TON of capital to do that so I find it unlikely and hearing they want it to be a family park doesn't make me hopeful. Still better to save a decent CCI than let it rot.

Twisterfan1995

Roller Poster
Basically this. Park was a DUMP before it closed, but a dump with a TON of space and a MAJOR world attraction 15 minutes up the road. With care and proper investment this could easily be turned into a great park. That said it'd likely take a TON of capital to do that so I find it unlikely and hearing they want it to be a family park doesn't make me hopeful. Still better to save a decent CCI than let it rot.

After looking up it’s location on Google Maps, it looks like the park does have the advantage of a good location as a tourist attraction between Buffalo and Niagara Falls with room to expand. But it will take a lot of CapEx, good management, and marketing to make it happen.

Any area natives/locals know if Darien Lake is considered Buffalo’s “main park”? Between that and Marineworld in Canada supposedly emphasizing rides moving forward it could be some heavy competition in the area.

In related news: Looks like Staples and local leaders are ironing out terms and incentives now, with a goal to to get a portion of the water park reopened by Fourth of July.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Any area natives/locals know if Darien Lake is considered Buffalo’s “main park”?

Yeah Darien Lake is Buffalo's main park. Many people who live in the area will frequently also go to Canada's Wonderland in normal times but many Canadians will also visit Darien Lake and make a camping weekend out of it as well. Marineland really isn't a factor for anyone in the area (another huge plot of land with prime real estate wasted by a lack of planning and CapEx) They'd have to open a TON of major attractions for them to even be a consideration. (I suspect I'm about as local as it gets on these forums though someone can happily prove me wrong)