What's new

What’s next for Phantasialand?

ward0210

Roller Poster
What do you think phantasialand’s next big ride will be?
Also, where will they build it and what ride(s) will be sacrificed?

I personally could see geisterika get removed in the near future and maybe a darkride/ indoor family coaster as their next new ride.

What do you guys think?

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Reopening, for a start.
I imagine that's most definitely their current goal. Their new coaster actually running for more than a month and half, and officially opening too. ?

When it comes to ride removals in future once they are in a position to invest again: Geister Rikscha, followed later by Hollywood Tour and Crazy Bats are undoubtedly going. Its just a question of when not if.
Next project I see is the long awaited and discussed China 2.0 with Geister replacement, or replacing the Silverado Theatre alongside a refurbishment/finishing the retheme of Colorado Adventure. Both will likely happen. Probably China first, but who knows for sure.

Last edited:

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I imagine that's most definitely their current goal. Their new coaster actually running for more than a month and half, and officially opening too. ?

When it comes to ride removals in future once they are in a position to invest again: Geister Rikscha, followed later by Hollywood Tour and Crazy Bats are undoubtedly going. Its just a question of when not if.
Next project I see is the long awaited and discussed China 2.0 with Geister replacement, or replacing the Silverado Theatre alongside a refurbishment/finishing the retheme of Colorado Adventure. Both will likely happen. Probably China first, but who knows for sure.

What do they actually use the Silverado theatre for? I always forget that it's there. ?

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
What do they actually use the Silverado theatre for? I always forget that it's there. ?
Since like 2012 irrc its been used for the summer stunt show Jump, Wintertraum has a Christmas music show and for events like the annual FantasyPride. While a lower capacity venue, events could be just stick to the Berlin Wintergarten theatre I'm sure, and Jump is just tired and needs retiring. Wouldn't imagine many would mourn its loss. Question is would they sacrifice one of their 3 big shows without replacement for a ride (dark ride or simulator could easily fit there), or do we just get a new modern and thematically fitting theatre/show venue?

Professor

Previously AndrewRollercoaster
Replace the Hollywood Tour thing and Crazy Bats with an indoor double launch Intamin family coaster with snowmobile style trains, in a polar setting with a starry night sky.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
All this free time with lockdown 2 might as well elaborate on what I'd expect for the next 3 projects to be in the park. No point speculating ride types I feel while ride locations may be predictable what they actually do is often not. Plus probably some prototypes that don't yet exist could pop up.

Essentially the park's development strategy, as outlined by the owner in a 2014 interview at the opening of Chiapas, has 3 parts:
- modernising the park
- expanded resort offering
- the long awaited expansion leading to it becoming an open all year round short stay resort with a second gate water park.

"The most important thing is to bring the park to a higher level, so that all of the rides are modern 'e-ticket' attractions,' muses Loffelhardt. "That is the first step, but we also want to go for more hotels and evening entertainment, because business events are important to us when the park is closed. And then I think we go the next step and open the park for the whole year, but for that we need a second concept, and I think that will be a nice waterpark. We have been working on getting the extra land for the last 10 years, but I think this year we will get it".

Of course in that year the expansion was not approved, despite compromises, moderation talks with neighbours, environmental plans and change in leading political party in the state, the discussions continue. One politician involved in these negotiations said a few months back to the press that its expected a final decision will be made by the end of the current legislative period in 2 years time. Source

China 2.0
As for the immediate future it seems quite likely that the "modernisation of China" will be the next project. This project is actually something the park alluded at being in the works back in 2014 in their announcement of the removal of the Western area to make way for an expansion of Mystery (Klugheim) so it could join the list of modernised areas like Berlin, Fantasy, Africa + Mexico (China notably excluded there).

China is a interesting one though given the main square has been invested in quite a bit over the last 5 years (new lanterns, IMAscore soundtrack, flowerbeds, custom Wintertraum decorations specially made in China for them). A modernisation along the lines of what happened with the Berlin area in 2010/11/12 seems more likely as supposed to complete demolition and replacement.
As has actually been previously rumoured they use repurpose the Geister Rikscha underground hall saving the main square and pathways above. Significant redevelopment would just be limited to the Geister station building and the food outlets opposite (that street between Colorado and China basically). Behind the food outlets is also still the last remnant of the showbuilding of the former Silbermine dark ride, its a reasonably significant underutilised space in the middle of the park that could be incorporated.
Another indicator potentially of just the street being shut for rebuilding is that in the corner between the China Snack and Feng Ju Palace is a large gateway to that top path of Klugheim which they since it opened haven't used yet - this link could temporarily replace the street for the duration of work.

A nice new dark ride (with potential to expand Geister's underground hall for more space under the current station building and Colorado Adventure's queue behind it), secondary attraction in Silbermine and food offerings could be achieved in that space easily. Alongside a spruce up of the area and refurbishment of Feng Ju Palace.

But then maybe that is all too easy for the PHL that since Maus au Chocolat has built Chiapas, Klugheim and Rookburgh - and they'll surprise us by actually totally redoing the area after all...

Colorado Adventure + Silverado Theatre
As the park around it dramatically changes Colorado has been somewhat left behind and in an identity crisis with remnants of the former Western theming still present. The theming of the final helix was redone with the addition of Tikal (the name coming from an ancient Mayan city famous for all its ruined temples), the first drop had a tower built around part of it and the ride was repainted in 2014 and some signage on the pathways refers to "Colorado Mining Company" - otherwise its Mexican retheme expected with Chiapas (and shown in the concept model) was left incomplete.

Overall its area is outdated by PHL standards. We've seen them replace the rockwork of Black Mamba to match the quality of newer areas over the past 6 years. New rides and Mamba retrospectively have a thematic lighting design for Wintertraum/nightrides - Colorado does not. All areas and rides that didn't have their own unique soundtracks previously have over the past few years have now received new soundtracks from IMAscore with the exception of Colorado Adventure/Tikal (and Geister/Hollywood but since they are undoubtedly on the chopping block that's to be expected). Hopefully it all points to that a significant future area overhaul is in the works as opposed to demolition. haha

Silverado Theatre in itself is ugly, outdated and its space could be better utilised especially when taking into account the dead space behind it and the the opportunity to build higher there to match Hotel Matamba beside.
One theory I saw recently suggests the theatre could be replaced with a a Tikal themed Mayan temple building accommodating a new attraction and new prominent accessible entrance for Colorado Adventure from the main path.
20201008_204127.jpg

Crazy Bats/Hollywood Tour
Yes these two rides. That building. The removals long foretold by the prophets but still seemingly not happening for a few years more yet.
Greatly complicated by their Fantissima dinner show (the most successful one in Germany) which takes place in the same building. As a significant additional source of income and major "resort offering" they aren't abandoning it.
Crazy Bats in execution and theme is undoubtedly a temporary stopgap to bring more life to the coaster for its final years.

The resort expansion is planned to include a new larger theatre. But of course the issue is this doesn't appear to be in the immediate future, if ever even. Presumably a contingency plan must be in the works - they can't hold off forever.
Either way once the time comes/its possible and Fantissima moves they'll finally be free to demolish the complex.
Additionally in the expansion moderation talks the neighbours asked for an aesthetically pleasing building with planted terraces behind Bats to fill the gap there to block noise and visual harassment from the proposed expansion opposite. Currently that site is just a small kids maze opposite Wakobato's entrance. If they combine these projects (replacing Bats/Hollywood and the maze with one new large building) you have an area the size of Klugheim to play with.
Some crazy kind of immersive indoor themed area wouldn't be unimaginable I think. Have to try and surpass Rookburgh at some point. ? (plus building facade updates can become the new wall updates)
Screenshot_20201103-145610_Earth.jpg

Last edited:

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
No... no.
Wuzeball is just an old silly running joke among some English enthusiasts no clues to the future there. Based on PHL's secrecy so the joke is they also have a secret ride hidden in Wuze Town.

Last edited:

Christian

Hyper Poster
In the shorter term PHL need to rework their shows. Especially Musarteum in Wintergarden. The singing, story and musical elements are absolutely horrible. After 5 minutes of the singing I stood up and was ready to walk out. It was just that bad. But in the last minute some acrobats came out and were absolutely incredible so I went and sat down again. The quality of the circus numbers were absolutely incredible. I am a big circus fan and have watched over 50 circuses and the high bars number here was by far the best high bar number I have seen. The other acts were also incredible but not exactly on the same level. The dancers were also really good. It is such a shame that the whole show is so horribly put together. It's sad.

Also there is no air-conditioning in the Wintergarden. That is really weird and PHL should fix it.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
^Since it wasn't clear and often appears online with people actually falling for it; my apologies for my mind reading skills having let me down.

Side note actually its crazy to think this currently is the first time since 2011* that Phantasialand doesn't have a construction site.
*Between the June opening of Maus au Chocolat and the demolition of the old log flumes for Chiapas that November.
Given corona delaying Rookburgh and the impact this year will have had on their finances; I'd imagine we likely won't see the next project start work until Winter 21/January 22.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Actually pad out the left hand side of the park by the lake with something because that entire area does feel like a bit of an afterthought compared to the rest of the park.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
That area backs on to housing though, it probably can't have anything too big or loud on site.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
^ Precisely. The park have proposed a sound barrier walls, even one with the top half made from glass. All neighbours, except 2 who complained it would create too much shade, agreed but because to the 2 it could not be built. Hence why the lake area is effectively dead and Wakobato has limitations on its operating hours (cannot open on Sundays and Public Holidays). Environmental protections mean the lake cannot be removed/built upon so they are effectively screwed in all ways there.

Aside from the future development of the Crazy Bats site as described here, and a renovation/modernisation of Wuze Town, I would not expect anything else significant happening in the Fantasy area of the park.
Crazy Bats/Hollywood Tour
Yes these two rides. That building. The removals long foretold by the prophets but still seemingly not happening for a few years more yet.
Greatly complicated by their Fantissima dinner show (the most successful one in Germany) which takes place in the same building. As a significant additional source of income and major "resort offering" they aren't abandoning it.
Crazy Bats in execution and theme is undoubtedly a temporary stopgap to bring more life to the coaster for its final years.

The resort expansion is planned to include a new larger theatre. But of course the issue is this doesn't appear to be in the immediate future, if ever even. Presumably a contingency plan must be in the works - they can't hold off forever.
Either way once the time comes/its possible and Fantissima moves they'll finally be free to demolish the complex.
Additionally in the expansion moderation talks the neighbours asked for an aesthetically pleasing building with planted terraces behind Bats to fill the gap there to block noise and visual harassment from the proposed expansion opposite. Currently that site is just a small kids maze opposite Wakobato's entrance. If they combine these projects (replacing Bats/Hollywood and the maze with one new large building) you have an area the size of Klugheim to play with.
Some crazy kind of immersive indoor themed area wouldn't be unimaginable I think. Have to try and surpass Rookburgh at some point. ? (plus building facade updates can become the new wall updates)
Screenshot_20201103-145610_Earth.jpg

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
To be fair, I can't blame them for not wanting to lose light. A right-to-light is a complicated legal issue in the UK, and Germany has an even more complicated and strict legal system. Plus, nobody wants to lose natural sunlight.

EDjanaika

Mega Poster
I'm trying to book tickets for the park next year and i'm struggling to find the official website! Do you think anyone could link it below please?!